wreckless448's 2014 Season Thread

Discussion in 'West' started by bowhunter448, Jan 25, 2014.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went out and shot a little this afternoon. I also played around with my pack situation a little. It looks like my hunting party this year will be me, my brother in law and his brother in law. My brother in law and I were looking on hubtersfriend.com for him and I let him shoot mine. Tag applications start here shortly and we're going to try for the late season. Hopefully the Dow decides to implement the delk tag this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse 4G

2. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    No shooting this weekend. Instead, we started working on what we're packing and what we need to get. Marshall (my brother in law) and I found a couple of decent looking spots in our target area. We'll sit down at the end of the month when my hourly bonus comes in and apply for tags. He should be getting his bow here in the next couple of weeks. He's talking about getting a 3D target at Cabela's to practice on.

3. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    So, I'm falling behind in the shooting aspect of my pre-season prep. Marshall ordered the PSE Surge off of huntersfriend.com yesterday. We'll get together next Saturday and do a little shooting. We've got a nice set of Cobra radios that I picked up this last week. The tag applications should be opening here in the next week. I think that we might put in for the combination cow elk/antlered deer tags. I've been checking NDOW's website every other day to see if we can get that hunt during the season we want.

Other than that, I've been super busy at home. We built the playset my mom got my boys for Christmas and rescued a puppy from the pound. We planted grass during our warm February, so I've been watering that and doing some dirt work around the back yard lately.

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the info I was looking for came out. I don't think that the combo hunt is in my 2014 Hunting season future. The fees are a little on the high side ($150 for both, compared to $30 for each). With my job change, I'm not sure how much I'll have when it comes time to pay for the tags, so I'm going to error on the side of caution and just do the Mule Deer hunt. Kinda bummed out on that one.

I also decided to start a blog, mostly after seeing http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/59944-inside-hunt.html. I have the link in my signature. I'm going to make an effort to keep it updated. Check it out and let me know what you think.

5. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    There was a lot of shooting this weekend. Spring must be in the air! Anyway, Marshall's bow came in last Monday, so he was anxious to start shooting. I ended up trading him releases, so now my sight is all messed up. So, we ended our shooting day yesterday resighting my bow at twenty. She's right there at twenty. Spent the most of the weekend building my stairs off the deck. Last night's snow has put the project on pause, mostly due to the concrete at the bottom of the stairs not being completely set up. Hopefully, we'll get that all finished up next weekend.

I did purchase my hunting license for the year. Marshall and I will put in for tags next weekend.

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Tag applications are in! And I got some new broadheads and a new peep ordered. We are attempting to build our own target out of recycled cardboard, it's going slow. We had a trip to the range planned for Sunday, but food poisoning put a wrench in that plan.

7. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    New peep/broadheads came in last night. I did some re-fletching also. I'm planning on going to the range tomorrow night after work with Marshall after I pick up my new used bowflex.

8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only a couple if weeks away from tag results being posted, so here's how I'll handle the rest of the preseason. If we get late tags, I'll start shooting a couple of times a week through August and then everyday until the season is over. We'll do out scouting for spots to base out of based on terrain, access, etc. throughout the summer. Once September hits, we'll start watching for deer, just to find the area they are going because we'd go out after rifle season. If we get the early tag, we'll condense everything into June and July instead of stretching it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Tag results should be out today. Luckily, I'll be traveling so there is something to keep my mind off of the wait.

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Both Marshall and I drew the late tag in the area we hunted last year! :)

11. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Wreckless. I didnt draw for anything. So it will be a OTC archery elk tag. We still have late cow tags we need to put in for

12. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I drew dedicated hunter on the Nebo unit. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. ;)
    Climbed some hills right by the house. View is nice. And I can still stand up after the hike, so that's good. :D
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

13. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Its always nice when you can stand up after a hike:tu:

14. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    You'll have to let us know what the "dedicated hunter" means. And that's a pretty view!

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got out and shot for the first time in a couple of weeks. 20 and 30 yards is dialed in and am working on the rest. I can definitely tell that it has been a while since my last good shooting session. I am admittedly having a difficult time wanting to get out and shoot. I can't really figure out why either. I know that I have some yard work that is hanging out and needs done, or I'm just not seeing the rush to shoot everyday with the late season tag. But to quote the SEALs, the only easy day is yesterday.

16. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I've decided that part of my preseason will be some small game, mostly the squirrels in the yard. They tend to drop down their holes before I can get drawn on them, but I'm two for two on the squirrels that I've drawn back on.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first was taken two weeks ago and the second one this morning. They scampered to their hole when I was about 15 - 20 yards away, so I drew back and walked in to about 10 - 12 yards before releasing.

17. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well Done!

Good shootin' --->

18. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shot five arrows last evening at sunset. 25 yards and right in the pudding, fire wood is all cut and drying out, got a hold of a new (96') Ford 4X4 crew cab that will do work so hoping the rest of the year pans out come opening day.
    I long to be back in The Valley of the Kings.

19. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting. Got up to elk camp last Saturday. In the wheeler there is a couple fallen trees I have to cut up to get my truck to camp. I need to hike more though. Tomorrow I'm putting up trail cams.

20. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    How many trail cams do you run? And do you run them on private or public land?