Where do you even start???

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Scott/IL, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scott,
    I'll start with this...WARNING: Unless you are ready to commit a week of vacation every Sept from here until eternity - do not go Elk hunting! :) At least for me - it has become that addicting!

I'll try to add some quick thoughts...as I'm still learning. As you know - I've bowhunted 4 straight years now, with just finally tagging my first Elk this Sept in year 4.

I believe the 10% success rate for Elk includes all weapons/rifles...so I tell people to think about that before you go. It is hard to get any elk with a bow. Expect to have as many days of seeing Zero elk, as days you see elk. Seeing them is about half the battle. All it takes is one close encounter, or one close bugle and my guess is you'll permanently be joining the fraternity of elk hunters.

I've only hunted CO, and have always been a huge fan of CO as I vacationed there growing up almost every other year. I want high mountain peaks when I'm hunting as I enjoy the hiking/backpacking just as much.
    CO is hard to beat for elk as you can just pull into WalMart, buy a tag, and that tag is now good in the majority of their units (any that are OTC - archery).

You can spend as little or as much as you want on this hunt. $600 tag, $200-$300 splitting gas, eat out of a cooler, sleep in a tent...worth every dollar. Gear: the basic 3 are Good boots, good pack, and gps...the rest is optional. Rain gear can even just be disposable .99cent ponchos to put on during storms.

Sometimes I wonder if we should try "better" units with more animals, but then my taxidermists this year went with a group and got taken in 11 miles by horse to a drop camp, and they saw very few elk and nobody got one...so then I think pulling my truck into a nice camp each night sounds pretty good. I would definitely start with a "drive in" camp, so you also have option to head different direction in the vehicle if having trouble finding elk.

The biggest eye opener for me was that the area we go is such heavy dark timber full of blow downs. It is nothing like on TV - I have even quit carrying binoculars...even on the peaks, there is just not many open areas to glass.

Your best resource if your Tenacious team mate Will...he opened the door for me and can point you in any direction you want...and has vast knowledge of multiple states.

His core advice is: Keep pounding the boot leather, stay positive, and be ready (you'll have about 8 seconds to get that shot off)

If you have some time to read - this should be a great resource - its the thread from the big 2010 camp Will put on for a bunch of guys on this forum - what an event! Check out: http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/10964-i-know-its-early.html

I don't check these other threads too often - don't hesitate to PM me any questions...every day is a good day to talk Elk hunting!

Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Couple more thoughts:

The "be in shape" factor cannot be overstated! You don't have to be in great shape to have a great time, but the better shape you are in the better your odds...miles = encounters.

A quick recap of my 4 seasons and opportunities (I typically only have time to hunt 5 days):
    2010: saw elk 4 of 5 days, camp mate shot a 5x4 that was 15 yards from me on last day, but that was only elk tagged in a large camp
    2011: 4 of us went - I saw elk 2 out of 5 days. I saw 3 elk (and 1 black bear), another guy 2 elk, another 1 elk, and last guy 0 elk...tough year.
    2012: 3 of us went. I missed shot at cow day one, unbelievable encounter with large bugling bull/cows on day 2, no elk days 3-4, buddy shot a calf on day 5.
    2013: Read my post - http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/53132-co-archery-elk-2013-word-pic-heavy.html

So...3 out of 4 years I was involved with packing out Elk meat - I'll take that every 4 years if I can:)
    Even including the tough year I could have taken Elk each year with a muzzleloader (which is the 3rd week of Sept)...so that is a good option for someone just wanting to get an elk.

...Now you got me all fired up for Sept and it's not even Christmas yet...

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe access with ATV/trucks and low hunting pressure is something you'll find in Colorado. I hunted Colorado twice, both high pressure areas, unit 14 and 62, and each time got away from people and got on elk. Its not alway deep in, a lot of times think steep. Unit 62 is high hunting numbers, but borders unit 61 which is a trophy unit so big elk are there.

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome advice here guys. Thanks!

Matt-I had lost Will's number, but found and booted up an old phone and got it. I sent him a PM over on HNI. I'll definitely try to touch base with him over the holidays. His knowledge on anything hunting is vast! Reading your threads over the last few years are awesome! Sounds like you guys make the best out of it.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy and I did the unit 45 hunt with all those guys last year. All great guys with lots of experience and very open to new bow hunters at the camp. If nothing else set up camp there your first year and pick their brains on all the other info.

I'm doing a private land hunt then hopefully going to unit 45 for a few more days.

I have the same problem with trying to get people to commit to big hunts.

I'd do unit 45. Pm me if you have any questions.

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    To me, this is one of the absolute most important things. No way would I beg guys to go with, that really don't want to go. I want to go on trips like this with people who are as excited about going as me.

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see Matt chimed in. He, Will and the rest of the guys are the real deal and even if your buddy's don't go with you you know you'll have 15-20 guys at that do want to hunt CO elk and will be there every year.

8. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Scott...Andrew is right - you really don't need anybody to make this happen. In 2010 I hopped in my suburban solo and drove straight to Wills camp and met a bunch of great dudes...I did not know a thing when I pulled up, but everyone was willing to help out.
    I'd offer you to hop in with me if I go again, but I have at least a full load already wanting to return. Stay in touch...early in the spring I'll have a good idea who really wants to go and if we're getting a second truck going I can save you a seat!

In 45 there is both Wilderness (only boots and horses allowed) and also national forest (does allow ATV's in much of it). It took a couple seasons for me to realize that the wilderness is what I will always focus on...I don't mind running into guys 4 miles back if I know they also hoofed it back there...and for the record, only once have I seen anymore more than about 1.25 miles from road.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Unit 45 is my go to Elk hunt and I invite my local buddies all year long but if they don't go it doesn't matter. I'm still going.

Hopefully see you there in Sept 2014 Scott.

Is Colby around?

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you contacted Will, Scott????

11. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
  12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  13. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is an awesome thread already, a lot of info too. I am a little young being 17 but I have been trying to talk my dad into taking me on a trip like the ones you guys are talking about. Sounds really fun!

14. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Not yet PT, but I definitely will be once the holidays wrap up.

I'm chomping at the bit to get some mountains in my life. My friend Johnny says he is down for sure to head west, so just need to plan it out!

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    PM on its way.....

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    That's cool. Never read Matts story on 2013 and that looks like a great web site and forum.

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who wants to go?? I talked to the wife and I just may be attending this year ....

19. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I'll be seeing everyone in September. Talked to Will last night, and just his stories from years past had me ready to leave today!

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like that pot stirring Frenchie is interested!