Got the Sheds/Got the buck

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by wiaxle, Nov 25, 2011.

1. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know, I know, bowhunting forum, but this being the shed forum, and I have been finding sheds for this guy 3 of the last 4 years, and I have a history with him, thought I would post the picture.

In 2008 I shot a nice busted up 6 pointer with my bow, it was the first day of the muzzleloading season, and I could hunt with the bow again.

I had just shot a nice buck and watched the buck lay down and expire about 40 yards away, and I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, coming down the same trail was a bigger bodied ugly racked buck, I put the binocs up on him and the first thing that I noticed was one of his horns was bright red, so I fumbled my camera out of my pocket and snapped a picture (only one, the batteries were enough for one shot but that was it) he went down the trail went over to the buck that I had just shot, nosed him a little bit then started shagging does that were in the area. I had also seen this buck once earlier in the bow season.

[​IMG]

The blood on the bucks antlers that I had shot were there already, and he had a nasty gash on his forehead, and a couple good puncture wounds in his neck.

[​IMG]

Over the next few years I had tried to keep and eye out for him, I found both sides of his sheds for the next two years, but last year his sheds eluded me, he also had dropped a tine and was a 7 pointer last year.

This year I had seen this buck 5 times with a bow and once with the gun, but on Thankgiving day his luck had run out and I managed to get a good shot on him and now there will be no more chances and trying to find his sheds.

[​IMG]

So, now I will need to wait to get the jaw back from the taxidermist but, I am thinking he was either 6 1/2 or even 7 1/2 years old, the mass on the sheds from the first year and the size of the buck from the first year I saw him, makes me think he was a 3 1/2 year old but regardless of that, this is the oldest buck I have shot and one of the biggest deer I have been fortunate enough to harvest.

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Nothing like having a long history with a buck and sealing the deal! I was able to do the same thing, going to display the sheds with the shoulder mount somehow!

3. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great history ! Congrats !

4. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Wi... I've been wondering where you were at.

Very cool to have such a history with an animal.

Congarts again!

5. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool, I hope I can have that kind of history and results one day.

Congrats!

6. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sheds to Deads! love it! Nice work Wiaxle ...wont be long and us shed hunting nuts will be covering ground! I am already thinking about it!

I have one right now that I am really trying to kill.. hope to in the late season.. I have a shed from him and 3 years of trail cams.. I have 8 on my walls that I have killed and have sheds too.. hoping this year will be #9

7. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Does it count that I found a shed walking out to the stand in about the 2nd or 3rd week of the bow season?

+1 for me

8. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

9. MN_Whitetail

MN_Whitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having history with a buck is amazing on its own, but to have the extras that you have with the story is unbelievable. It sounds like one heck of a quest for this buck. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck and having most of his sheds over the years. That is impressive !!!!!

Tim

11. huebjac

huebjac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pictures, sheds, and now a nice wall mount. Congrats on an old old deer

12. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I have done the same thing last year. I have a match set and two singles off my 11 pointer. It feels great to do that. I also have trail cams of him with the sheds on his head. Do you have trail cam pics of your buck?

13. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Totally forgot to mention, got a couple people to take a look at the teeth, and one guy said 8 1/2, and the other said at least 8 1/2 if not more......fwiw

14. cwoods

cwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very impressive!