Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MO Shorthair, Jul 2, 2015.

1. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just received my DirecTV bill and they screwed up how much I am supposed to pay. This is something that happens on a regular basis plus they call several times each year trying to get me to sign up for new promotions. I've already put Roku devices on the TV's in the bedrooms. I have two other TV's, one upstairs and one downstairs in the basement. If it wasn't for the local stations I would have cancelled my Directv last year.

Who has cancelled cable or satellite and how do you handle the local stations? I would have to use an amplified antennae either in the attic or on the pole that my current satellite dish sits on now.

2. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I "cut the cord" earlier this year. Got tired of paying out the butt and getting crappy service. I got an Amazon Fire TV with a prime subscription, sling tv, netflix, and hulu plus. Gives me more than enough to watch. As far as local channels, I just bought a $40 antenna from walmart.

4. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question for all the cord cutters. Is Amazon prime TV worth it? Seems like I have to pay for everything on there, even though I'm a prime member. Also, with a lot of the shows, I run into old, old episodes, unless I have a cable login.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We cut the cord finally! Between internet downloads, Net Flix and Sling.tv for sports we no longer need cable. At the same time you need a fast internet connection. I've download 72237 MB or approx 70 GB of data in the last 10 days.I'm averaging 500 GB some time closer to a 1 TB a month. I am surprised I have never received a nastyogram for our internet usage.

We are a Prime member and rarely if ever use it for media related stuff.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I almost never watch anything on Prime. I mostly watch sling, hulu. Sometimes Netflix. But as much stuff as I order from Amazon, I save prolly 2 to 3 times my membership in shipping.

7. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I save a ton on shipping, especially since my wife is a student. I was just wondering if I was missing something. Seems like most decent stuff on Amazon TV makes you pay.

Im not a sling subscriber yet, but I may have to start.

8. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My kids use Amazon Prime far more than my wife and I do, but they have had some good movies on there. I cut the cord about 4 years ago and I haven't looked back. I don't miss TV at all, and since BHOD is on Roku, and hulu has all my wifes shows, I can't justify spending that kind of money on something we'd use so little.

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Netflix and HBO now here, way to many commercials on cable I dropped them along with my land line phone.