Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

ZXT or Heli-M?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NickB, Dec 27, 2012.

1. NickB

NickB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to get either the Heli-M or ZXT. At my local pro shop there is about 159.99 difference in price. Just wondering if anyone has shot them side by side and noticed any difference in performance. I've shot both, but only from a distance of like 10 feet. I'm not really interested in the Creed or the Chill. I wanted to stay away from the split limbs. That's more of a personal preference.

2. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the ZXT today side-by-side with the Creed for fun. I shot the Heli-m last year and wasn't a huge fan but that's just me. I also liked the ZXT better than the Creed. Had a very smooth draw cycle and felt good in my hand. I don't think you can go wrong with either bow, just go with what feels better!

3. DoubleTapxx

DoubleTapxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The ZXT is a better bow in my opinion. I shot a Helium First then a ZXT. The ZXT is much quieter and shock free when you shoot it. I have a ZXT that I brought home the 5th when the new bows came out. Love it. I am also getting a creed. But yeah the ZXT is a much better bow imho.

4. NickB

NickB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds great! Can't wait to be hunting with a new Mathews for spring Turkey season.

5. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing like a Mathews! :)

6. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thats $159.99 to spend on goodies for it. imo

7. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:
    Also, The ZXT actually performs at an IBO of 330. They listed it as 326 I guess so it didn't take away from the Creed. The ZXT is actually faster than the creed pound for pound on draw weight.

My ZXT shoots perfect bullet holes and I can hit most anything with it. I shoot birds for fun for practice and never thought it could be this easy. It will hit 2" circle at 55 yards quite easily if I let it LoL. ZXT is a sleeper bow for sure.

Whichever Mathews you get do this, Take the Harmonic Damper out of the top of the riser. Replace it with a 2nd Mathews Harmonic Stabilizer Lite like that's in the bottom of the riser. It's so quite and vibration free it's insane. I will do this mod to every Mathews bow I get. Test it for yourself.

[​IMG]

My ZXT is pulling 70.5 pounds right now. It pulls so easy I think it feels like 60 pounds. Awesome draw cycle and hard back wall. Can't beat it..

8. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful bow, Is that a ruger logo I see on the banner under the bow? I have a little mark3 with bull barrel, awesome little pistol for poking holes in stuff. Hardly any recoil at all.

9. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful bow, Is that a ruger logo I see on the banner under the bow? I have a little mark3 with bull barrel, awesome little pistol for poking holes in stuff. Hardly any recoil at all.

10. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:

Thanks

Yes that is a Ruger logo. It is actually the Hank JR version. I designed it for my Jeep XJ. The one shown was an extra one. Here it is installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't base your decision upon the IBO speed ratings. Speed is the #1 problem with the archery industries ploys to sell stuff. Any of the new bows from any manufacturer are plenty fast enough to kill deer, elk or any US animal for that matter. Other factors and accessories are what separates bows that are worth considering not speed.

The #1 thing and honestly only thing any new bow purchaser must to look at is this: WHICH BOW DO I PERSONALLY LIKE MOST. Then buy that bow.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:
    That is true, I was just adding in the speed thing because the ZXT does more than rated IBO speed. Speed is some of a factor but not all.

The smoothest drawing,shooting and the quietest possible is best. Also what fits you. You need to go to a shop and shoot some for yourself. Helim will be the last choice I'm guessing. It's about the worst Mathews has ever put out I think.

13. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you work for mossy oak?

14. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:

One would think so wouldn't they? LoL. No I don't work for Mossy oak. They should sponsor with all the repping I do for them though. I have been hooked on Mossy Oak since it was the old school look.

I think I should contact Mossy oak though and show them some pics. Inside the Jeep has front Mossy Oak seat covers. Bench seat cover for the back seat, Also has some custom stuff done mossy oak. Mossy Oak floor mats front and back. The headliner will be soon enough. Just can't get enough of it.

15. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i love my z7, i have shot the helim before, both great i think, but i would stick to the z7 all around excellent bow

16. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your gonna have all different types of opinions for the two bows. I personally own a heli-m and love the thing to death. Why well because its lite weight I like the aggressiveness it has its perfect ATA for me I'm not a fan of anything over 32inches prob because I'm 5"9" is the reason why I don't like anything over 32inches. Like stated above that the heli-m is the worst mathews bow ever produced that's just an opinion. Just like the pro shop I go to and they are one of mathews top 50 sellers for there bows but even the owner and the 5 workers he has say that this may be a bad year for mathews he hasn't sold many 2013 models yet and he has been selling more heli-ms sense the new ones have came out he even thinks the heli-m is a better bow than the 2013s. I also have shot the ZXT if you ask me it feels exactly like the z7x, I shot the z7x plenty of times because when buying my heli-m that was one of the bows that was in the running. Just shoot all the ones you are interested in and then decide. Who knows you could find a 2010 model no name bow and love it because it just feels good which matters most because the name of the bow or the one that everyone else shoots isn't going to be the reason you kill your game. Good luck on you decision!

17. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    @doupletapxx, nice jeep, love the look! Just wanted to ask you about that apex quiver you got on your bow, because I was thinkin' about buying that one, how do you like it? Is it built well, etc? Would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

18. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I really like the quiver, Thanks for the Jeep comment also. Back to the quiver. I got a Bohning Chameleon 5 arrow quiver for X-mas. I like the Apex better. It is adjustable up and down. It is held on by a bracket and magnet setup. It's nice. You won't be disappointed with one I bet.

19. los11

los11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Heli-m and also just got the Creed which is faster and smoother then the HELI-m in my opinion and I have hunted all year with the HeliM I have 70 days in the woods this year so I have used it... The Creed is awesome and to OP the Creed is faster then the ZXT the I chrono -ed all 3 well all 4 Creed, ZXT, Chill, Heli-M.. IBO speed dont go by that is at 30 draw and the lightest arrow etc etc. I use a 350Gr arrow and 100gr head and my draw is 27/70 the Heli-m was 272, the ZXT was 291, Creed 298, Chill was 302 this was average of 3 shots. But diff draw length and arrow etc would change that.. The ZXT is also a diff bow then the Heli-M and the Creed it really depends what type of hunting your doing The ZXT is nice for ground blinds its 28 axle to axle the HeliM 30 the Creed 30 and the Chill is 30.5 the chill is there speed bow it really all depends on what type of hunting your gonna do.. Also if your looking for a good deal think about the Z7 slighty used great bow super fast too or even the new Mission Ballistic I shot that it was pretty damn nice and smooth and fast .. Shoot em all and pick a bow set on your style not anybody word or IBO etc cause my Father in Law uses a recurve and puts down way more deer then me and whats his IBO speed 150 LOL I am guessing...

20. DoubleTapxx

Dislikes Received:
    The zxt is a couple fps faster then a creed. ZXT ibo is actually 330.