Zwickey Broadheads.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Muzzy Man, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I am hunting a new area with hogs on it. One reputed to be in excess of 450 lbs. I doubt that but I am guessing he or she is big and I am trying to get equipped for the worst case scenario and I don't relish the idea of p***ing one off that nearly triples my weight.

I am going to try to raise my total arrow weight to around 700-750 grain. More than likely I will just shoot some 2219 Aluiminums which I have had great success with in the past on hogs but I have never shot one much over 200 lbs before. I am looking at some different broadheads and Bruce has suggested some that look real good. Another I am looking at is the Zwickey 2 blade Eskimo, has anyone tried these? They are solid so I am concerned about wind planing but I am not sure how much of an issue that would be at nearly 700 grains.

Any words of wisdom from those who have used the heavy weights before? Maybe some of you Elk or Hog guys.

2. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    is that a cricket of a tree frog chirping? I have a hard time telling the difference. :sad:

3. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard a lot of great things about Zwickeys in the past. They're supposed to be extremely durable and you can get a pretty heavy head weight from them. When I try my hand at traditional hunting I'm going to try Zwickeys because I have a feeling I'll be missing a lot. Can't go wrong with them if you ask me.

4. SOIL hunter

SOIL hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've read of Dr. Ashby's studies on penetration, your set up is on track. He recommends an FOC around 19% as well as minimum of 650 grain arrows. 2 blade single bevel broadheads.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started hunting 20 years or so ago, the 2 blade Eskimo is all I used. I spent hours sharpening and stroping them to get them shaving-sharp. The first few deer I shot I had clean pass thrus with the arrow stuck at least 6" in the ground. That was shooting probably a 26" or 27" 2315 out of a 50 lb bow.

My dad used to shoot them as well for moose hunting - put them clean thru a 1,500 lb Canada moose with no problem.

6. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, it takes a lot to make me nervous but I am not accustomed to seeing a critter running off with a Muzzy traveling 280 fps. That shoulder shield was literally like hitting a leather covered 2X4... and there is one on both sides to go through. My hog was maybe 120 tops. I don't know I am not good at judging things like that but anything larger is going to require some heavier duty equipment than just my plain carbon arrows.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Zwickey's when I shot traditional. I am back to shooting compounds after two back surgeries but they were good tough heads when I used them. I have a few 160 grain Snuffers and weight tubes here I use when I really want to get the weight up.

9. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: