ZTR Mowers

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by englum_06, May 21, 2014.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So what's your opinions on some of the ZTR mowers out there? I'm in the market and it's pretty tough to decide- there's a ton of options. I mow a little over 2 acres, mostly open, about a dozen trees to mow around. The yard is nice and flat- no holes or lumps or stumps to tear anything up with. So far I've been looking at Husqvarna, Bad Boy, Dixon, Dixie Chopper, and Ferris. It looks like Bad Boy and Husqvarna are going to be the closest to my price range- Id like to stay under $4,000. I have no experience with any of them so any input is great.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a Kubota dealer near you? I looked at them and really liked them...just too many hills for me to deal with.

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could help you, but when I was looking for one I decided to double the price and get a commercial model. I settled on a John Deere Z830A. I don't think they make that model any longer. Yeah, it was expensive, but it's built like a tank and I know that if I take care of it it'll last the rest of my life.

I do love the 850cc Kawasaki engine on that joker. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Kubota is going to be out of your price range most likely. If you have a lot of trees around, make sure you deck enough deck size to cut in around without scrubbing your tires too much (52" should be sufficient).

I did a year's worth of research before buying a used Gravely PMZ48 commercial grade mower. I found one with low hours and jumped on it. That may be an option for you as well if you want to get more machine for your money. I would definitely recommend going with a brand that has a dealer nearby just for serviceability if the time arises.

Commercial grade mowers are going to give you better hydro's, fabbed deck vs. stamped (not necessary that stamped are always worse), better engine options (Kawi, Kohler, Honda, etc.), and overall beefier components. A commercial grade ZTR will last a homeowner their entire life.

I love my Gravely for it's simplicity, tank-like build, and the price was awesome ($2800 with 300hrs).

Look at the big boys (Ferris, Hustler, Scag, Exmark, Bobcat, and yes, even Bad Boy). Try them out (dealers will often let you demo...even sometimes at your house). One thing I wish my Gravely had was suspension (on the front forks and seat), but since you mentioned your yard is fairly flat and smooth, the ride quality won't be a major issue.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the commercial grade.

The lower end Kubota was 48" or 52" I believe ...commercial quality. Right around $4500 with 0% financing.

6. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    There's a 2014 Hustler Raptor 52" deck, 33HP on eBay for $2,800. Hustler may be an option- I hadn't looked at them.

7. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad has a hustler z 60" he cuts 3 acres with. It's been a great mower. I think they may have replaced a deck pulley in 600 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    After reading some reviews on the Hustler Raptor it seems to be pretty well liked.

9. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went with a Bad Boy 54" over the Hustler. It is a really nice mower but I have to keep a regular lawn tractor around to mow close to the pond and on steep hills. Just something to think about.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with your choices in that price range.

Make sure the decks are welded construction. Both bad boy and husgvarna have them in that price range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will also add the briggs v twin is an awesome motor and have great reviews. My cub has one and it has been rock solid and doesn't even use oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

12. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will getting a Hustler this winter. Saving the money and staying in the residential line instead of commercial. I mow 3+ acres, and their Fastrack series of residential grade mowers seem very well built.

13. SRArney12

SRArney12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hustler is the way to go. Raptor series starting at 2995

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Deere Z960A which is a commercial mower for when I had my farm. A beautiful machine that cut mowing time by 60%. I'd still have it today if my lawn didn't go from 16 acres down to 1/4 acre.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a exMark, think the deck is 50 inches .... Really a nice machine no issues what so ever. Keep it for close to 5 years and then sold it to my landscaper. He is still using it .

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  16. ERICWEST

ERICWEST Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to stay under 4, I would highly recommend eXmark quest s-series. $3999, 50" fabricated deck 23hp kawasaki, one of the better residental z's on the market. I run exmarks in my business and am very pleased with the performance.