Zika Virus

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Feb 11, 2016.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Both my wife and I work in emergency management. We get real info briefings, not just the media hype or WND type fearmongering bulletins. Zika is real, and while not especially harmful to those with normally functioning immune systems, it is definitely very harmful to the unborn. It can and does cause miscarriages and birth defects.

It is both vector and sexually transmitted. The virus remains in your...uh, stuff for months if not years, meaning if you get bit by an infected mosquito you run the risk of being worse than infertile for an unknown period of time. While the virus is not yet (YET) endemic to the USA, the mosquitos that carry the virus are here. Aedes aegypti lives and breeds in the SE USA. Close relatives of these mosquitos (that could possibly carry the virus) are much more widespread.

The DoD is transferring any female servicewomen who are already pregnant out of the hot zones. Do you really want to be the reason your wife has a miscarriage or bears a child with a birth defect? Is the risk worth a vacation? Not to me...
    How many times have you been bit by a mosquito after you sprayed? Forget to put it on, sweat it off, miss a spot...you're much more likely to be bitten by a mosquito than bit by a tick. I've been bitten by thousands of mosquitos. Never been bit by a tick (fingers crossed) even though I've lived in the upper MW most of my life.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We're heading to Mexico in April. Bug spray and booze will keep the skeeters away.

3. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    No, no it won't. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a mosquito bite since 1999.

4. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We went to Jamaica two years ago for my company's President's Club trip... I remember being shocked when we arrived that there were even mosquitoes there. My wife laughed, asking what I expected. "Well, you know... Paradise." :o

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather miss a free trip than one that is already paid for!!!

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've read it will likely be years before a vaccine is ready

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it is years away in development; much less how long it will be slogging through FDA approval process once developed. Plus, it's been around for many years- just not in the Americas.

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing here man, work trip trip to Puerto Rico my lady and I get to go on for free every year was canceled because of the virus, its a bummer I feel your pain! We got an email from Jet Blue though on some crazy 50% off deal so we booked Bermuda the following month that the PR trip was suppose to take place on a steal, so luckily we'll still get our warm weather and beach fix in! Check out Jet Blue deals, I know its not as good as free, but they offer some great deals that make it a little better.

10. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure they have record of it in Africa dating back to the 1940s. This is supposed to be a modified strain of that virus.
    There have been some cases of it in the US, even here in Indiana. Mostly from people traveling. Thankfully I don't have to go back to Brazil anytime soon, too bad though, that place is great.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If its not H1N1, or Bird Flu, it will be something else. Can't go around being afraid of every bug or you will never go or do anything

12. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should stay at home and send me the tickets. My wife and I are done having kids.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed but neither of those cause birth defects months after primary infection...nor are transferred by the bite of voracious little nigh unstoppable blood thirsty bastards

14. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Credit to Peakrut.
    [​IMG]