Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Z7 vs. Alphamax

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Natty Bumppo, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first post....created this account just to get some feedback from others.

I've done my homework and have shot both bows....Matthews' Z7 and Hoyt's Alphamax. I'm going to purchase one of these.

They are very similar bows in the hand in my opinion....smooth draw, fast, quiet, and almost NO recoil.

I prefer the riser clearance on the Hoyt. And it's about $100 cheaper. But overall, I do prefer the Matthews. I would have bought one today, but here's my problem...Matthews chose to accent the Z7 with red. It's a camouflage bow, yet they added all of these red accent pieces and red string. I just can't get pass this. Am I nuts? Any input on either bow would be great.

Natty

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the z7 and love it. shoot it with a w/b rest and flatliner 340 arrows. shoots great and stacks arrows at any distance. I went with a all black model and the red looks really good with it, they also have any color of accents you would like as a option. just look in the catalog.

I looked at the alpa and think it's a great bow also,just fell for the limbs on the z7,

Attached Files:

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I see no reason for the red to be deterrent. I've actually added red & black accessories to my bow and plan to replace my string with a red/black one soon. [​IMG]

As for the bows, I preferred the Alphamax...obviously :D

4. Bow_Explorer

Bow_Explorer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bow bows are great. Can't go wrong with either of them

IMO, you can't go wrong with either of them, mate. Both are getting really great reviews. I will share my opinion on the Alphamax first.

To begin with, as you know, there are two different versions of the Alphamax:
    Hoyt Alphamax 32 and Hoyt Alphamax 35.

Secondly, Hoyt completely overhauled all their technologies while coming up with the Alphamax 32 and 35. They really took the quality of their bows to the next level.

Both Alphamax 32 and 35 are equipped with the same technological solutions. In a nutshell:

- new XTS limbs are durable (proved by 1000 dry fires test by Hoyt)
    - XTR & 1/2 cam system can be adjusted without using a bow press (there are 2 cams though covering an overall range of 26-30 (Alphamax 32) and 27-31 (Alphamax 35). The draw cycle is very smooth with a solid back wall in the end.
    - the Alphamax has minimal shock and vibration (no bow is completely quiet)
    - admittedly, it's very well balanced

The main difference between the 32 and 35 versions is the AtA. The Alphamax 32 has the AtA length of 32, whereas its 35 brother has the Ata length of 35 inches. The Alphamax 35 is a bit slower compared to the 32 version.

So, if you are a long draw archer go with the Alphamax 35 unless you choose the Mathews Z7.

If you have any questions go ahead and ask. You are welcome. Hope i will have some time to give more info on the Z7 shortly.

In any case good luck with your choice.

P.S. It's great you shot both of them. If both Mathews Z7 and Hoyt Alphamax 32/35 feel the same, maybe take into account other factors such as dealerships proximity, maintenance, accessories, etc. I mean there must be something else that will help you make the choice apart from price. Just some thoughts.

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have shot both and like the Mathews better, I am sure you can order it without the red. (pretty sure) If not, I wouldn't get hung up on red. It really will make no difference in you ability to kill.

[​IMG]

6. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't shoot the Z7, but the AM's were better feeling than any of the Mathews I'd shot in the past. Actually, they were the best feeling bows I've ever shot, that's why I got them. But each of us has a different desire/feel/need in our bows, and if one of them isn't exactly what we like, then there will very likely be another that WILL fit those needs......​