Z7 Extreme or Magnum?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by questprimal27, Jul 23, 2011.

1. questprimal27

questprimal27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what are you all paying for these two bows bare? Considering buying a Mathews and wanting to know if there is room to negotiate with the shop? What is the benefit of the magnum v. the extreme, 4 FPS only? I'm not sure that i need the extreme since i dont hunt ground blinds, but it would be nice for the convenience if I ever do.

I just had a limb crack on my hunting bow and it is sent off for warranty repair, going through withdrawal from not shooting and considering buying a backup or replacement depending on the service I get from G5.

thanks for your help!

2. finicky 1

finicky 1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my new Z7 extreme a week ago it was 779.00 just for the bow didn't like the magnum as much but proably just personal preference. but the Z7 extreme I love it so far and I orded another one today for my son because he liked it so much.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a ton of people on here that have just bought the z7x. I think mine was $650 or $750 before taxes and whatnot, can't remember. It's been a great bow. It went turkey hunting with me in the spring and I'm dying to get it in the woods for whitetails. To me, it's the ultimate hunting bow.

4. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not just saying it because I have one, but the Magnum has a longer riser so I felt it would be more accurate & steady. I did shoot both & thought the Magnum held better, shot faster & just was the better pick for myself.

As for price I paid $1140 bare bow... (AUSTRALIAN DOLLERS) ;)

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The speed difference is about 10 fps in the Magnum versus the Z7 Xtreme. The biggest difference for the average shooter is just going to be the size and maneuverability. The Magnum is about 4 inches longer axle-to-axle, and also has a 6" brace height so it's not quite as forgiving.

Having shot both, I really don't think you can go wrong. I shot a speed bow last year and wanted something slightly more forgiving for this year which is why I went with the Z7 Xtreme. The Magnum was a very, very close 2nd. For a speed bow it really shoots amazingly well.

6. skip425

skip425 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I checked out the Mathews dealers back in April in my area and found a 2010 demo Z7 for $599 covered by Mathews lifetime warranty when the 2011 Z7 extreme was going for $799 for a 200 dollar savings I think a 2" longer Z7 was a good deal over the Extreme. If you can find a demo from a dealer you might save yourself some money for a little bit of a road trip as for the Magnum I can't see where 10 fps either way will make much difference.:tu:

But the best time to buy is March-June when they are trying to reduce stock:rock:

7. OutbackRyno

OutbackRyno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up my z7x this past march for $725 bare. And as for the speed. I am slinging 370 gr arrows at 295 ft/second with a WB, so no worries there.

8. wv_whitetailhunter

wv_whitetailhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting ready to buy a Z7 Xtreme for $719.

9. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had my z7x for about a month now. It is light, compact, and stone silent. I love it. My buddys dad had a magnum, then bought the z7 and he said he wished he waited for the z7x. If you are going to get a whole set up they will work you a deal. I got mine for 30 bucks off the original 770, then I also got 15% off accessories. That bow was set up, sighted in, and ready to hunt with an hour after I walked in the door, all for $989.

10. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    z7 xtreme smoothest draw cycle ever

11. questprimal27

questprimal27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Z7X's run 699 +tax here. Seems like a good deal and i recently saw a Z7 for $599. I might wait until after bow season this year to pickup the X and see if the price drops.

12. MattH

MattH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just bout a z7 magnum I shot the extreme and side by side and felt the mag hode alot steadier I'm 6'0 so I felt the extreme was just to short! My mag is a rocket and stable and quite! It is slot longer but I had room to spare when practicing from ground blind! I also shot helium I felt mag was less shock and more stable for my shaky hand I like the extra weight

13. MattH

MattH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Paid 700 for my mag

14. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    paid $750 for my z7x.. love it..

15. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dead thread revival?