Z7 Extreme + NAP Apache = troubles :(

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ExtremeZ7, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ExtremeZ7

ExtremeZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have been a long time looker and haven't needed to post anything. Well I do now. Let me set this up for you guys and gals.
    Have a Mathews Z7 Extreme RH 60# 29" draw. Have been running a whisker biscuit for the last year. Wanted to get into the drop away rest scene. Got a NAP Apache this afternoon and I set it up on my bow. Set center shot. Went to the basement to paper tune it (as its 100+ degrees outside). I am getting a constant left tear. Arrow flight looks bad too. I move the rest away (left) from the bow and it doesn't help one bit. Move it back to the right. Same deal. Before with the whisker biscuit, it would put bullet holes through paper. Should I have just left my bow the way it was and not gotten the Apache? Please help. Would be much appreciated.

2. Mystro

Mystro Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have that rest but It sounds like the rest fork is not dropping away fast enough. Timing is everything on a dropaway rest. The rest should start to fall 2" from full draw.

3. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try moving the rest to the right. Check for vane clearance on the inside of the containment housing you may have to rotate the nock slightly.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. ExtremeZ7

ExtremeZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I tired moving the rest to the right and same thing. Left tear.

5. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im leaning to a clearance issue. Put something on the vanes, lipstick works well, dont shoot through paper then check the vanes for rub marks. I dont think its a timing issue with the rest dropping if that were the case I would think you would have a high left tear not just left but check for rubbing on the felt of the rest. You could also try shooting a bare shaft though paper to see if the problem still exists. Shoot with cock vane up, down, out to see if that changes anything, try rotating the nock slightly a little at a time. Make sure bow hand is relaxed, try shooting through paper with eyes closed it will help keep you from torquing the bow.

6. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when the arm is up the arrow shouldnt be straight the nock point should be higher then where the arrow touches the arm on the drop away

7. ExtremeZ7

ExtremeZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did try shooting bare shafts and same thing. Left tear. Im about ready to just give up and put the WB back on.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%. Do what ^he said^ and make sure the vanes are clearing the rest. I have a Z7 Magnum (70 lbs and 29in draw) with the NAP Apache Carbon Rest and I have not had any problems. It may be a small defect with that one rest. It happens. See if you can get it replaced. I know it is frustrating, don't give up!

9. ExtremeZ7

ExtremeZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got done shooting it again. Finally got it to shoot bullet holes with turning the cock vane to almost the 1 oclock position. But I'm still having contact on the launcher arm felt with the vane that is now in the 5 oclock position. Black marks are even being left on the vanes themselves. Its almost like the arm itself isnt dropping fast enough or something. I dont know. Arrow flight still looks funny to me. I think the WB is coming back out. Maybe its something I'm doing, maybe its the rest. I like NAP alot, as I shoot their 2 blade Bloodrunners and love them with a passion. They make good stuff.

10. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you put the arrow holder on the shelf? Ive had issues with the arrow not clearing that. Im assuming being as you had it tuned with the bisquit you have properly spined arrows but you could try turning down the draw wt. to see if that helps. Is the frame of the rest lower than the shelf? If so you could try raising both the rest and the nocking point. I have never set up a Mathews but I have put apache rests on a few bows without to much trouble maybe theres something im missing about the mathews.

11. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try the cock vane at 11 oclock, I know its basically just the opposite of what you have now but it may work. If not Double check cord timing, try raising the knocking point slightly

12. ExtremeZ7

ExtremeZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No didnt put the holder on. Frame of the rest is not lower then the shelf. Did try at 11 and still making contact.

13. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All I can think of now is just raising the nocking point and cord timing if niether of those work im out if ideas. I haved called NAP a few times and they have been great so if you still cant figure it out maybe give them a call.

14. ExtremeZ7

ExtremeZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok i will try and see what I get figured out here. Thanks to all who have helped.

15. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt give up in the rest just yet ive tried quite a few dropaways and think the apache is one of the better ones.