Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Youth hunt

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Meat Hunter, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just took my buddies son out to place his ground blind yesterday for his youth hunt. Gave him a variety of choices of where to put it, he chose the best one in my opinion. He helped brush it in, spent hours walking around checking places out. What impressed me the most, he could sit on a corn field and shoot with a rifle at his house, instead he wants to sit in the woods with me and my tenpoint and drop one with a arrow. I like that and have no problem reshuffling my weekend to go sit with him. Anyone else taking the youngsters out?

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir. Taking my 2 sons out for the first time this year. Sept. 21-22 is our youth hunt. Licenses went on sale yesterday @ 10am. I was there @ 10:08.

We've been working as a team on this, my oldest boy 14 has really taken to it. We went to the range last weekend, he was hitting nice groupings at 20,30,40 yds. My youngest just doesn't have the strength on his draw weight yet, (I haven't told him though). I'm going to let him take his bow out there, and we'll just let his oldest brother take the shot if we have the opportunity. My little guy is just too small right now,

I'm pretty active with my sons, we do a lot of stuff together, baseball, kayaking, camping, etc. I can honestly say this has been the most fun we've had together. We're all chomping at the bit to get out there.

3. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im in Michigan to, going to let him use my tenpoint, seriously doubt he knows how to shoot a compound. Might want to try a crossbow for your youngest, a few models for the youngsters out there not to expensive, give him a chance to make a clean kill and get him hooked.