Youth Bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Scooter135, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm looking for a compound bow for my 9 year old son for his birthday to possibly hunt with. What do y'all recommend that would be a decent starter, draw weight of 40-45#, easy on the wallet. I shoot traditional and have not shot compound in years. Thanks for the help!!

2. Mywaytotalk

Mywaytotalk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my son who is 8 a Genesis Pro. The Genesis Pro is a great bow but the grip was a little large and the weight was a little much. Ended up shooting a Diamond Atomic and buying the previous model to this. He is now shooting 20 yds and smacking the target well. New Atomic setup is aprox. $200 Genesis $150-200. I have a Genesis Pro I'm trying to sale also. Have fun and shoot together.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started I was given a Hoyt Ruckus. But with him already drawing 40-45 I'd look into Mathews Mission Craze - they can go up to 70# (I believe). Definately something he can grow with. I currently have one and love it. I think fully decked out it was around $600.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go one extreme or the other. Either a Genesis that's fairly cheap if you want to make sure he likes archery, or a fully adjustable bow like the Mission Craze that can grow with him into adulthood. :tu:

5. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My oldest has a Genesis and shoots it pretty well. If he sticks with it, he'll get something bigger when he gets closer to hunting age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all I'm still trying to find on I can set the draw weight low enough he can draw it now and still have plenty of room to adjust higher later.