Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Youth Bow Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INbowhunter, Mar 24, 2012.

1. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, as my 6yr old brother watches me shoot my bow every night, he keeps saying that he wants his own bow to shoot. I've looked through many different youth bows including the Mathews "Mini" Genesis Compound Bow and Bear Truth lineup. A bow that really caught my attention on its looks and its versatility was the Fuse Freestyle Youth bow. Its draw ranges from 14" to 24" and draw weight from 10-25#. Surprisingly this bow shoots 255fps, which I thought was pretty fast.
    If you have any other ideas for a good beginner youth bow, feel free to give me your suggestions!
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Before you decide on any I would strongly suggest you look at the Diamond Razor Edge. I bought the first one for my daughter several years back and couldn't be happier. We tested several bows and the Diamond won hands down! At $329 for the complete setup you cant beat it and with the ability to upgrade the limbs down the road it will last many many years. I have since purchased two more since then. One for my girlfriend and my other daughter and I woudl purchase another one in a second if needed! Good luck with your decision!

3. bwang

bwang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the mission menace

4. DeerCraze88

DeerCraze88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would go with the Diamond Razor edge.. lots of adjustability. i own a razor edge and they are amazing.. They are a cheaper but have alll the power you will need until hes way older. Im 27 and still shoot the razor edge.. Ive shot the mission and no where near as quiet as the razor edge

5. ttraveler

ttraveler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try and shoot as many as you can and then decide ..I bought by son the Mathews Craze a year ago and we are very happy with it. We can adjust draw length and poundage by ourselves as we go and he grows. Those are nice features. It is a bow he can continue to grow with and enjoy for as many many years to come.

Good Luck!!

6. deadeye007

deadeye007 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i bought the darton storm used from scheels and i love it!

7. on a mission

on a mission Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely look at the menace and craze bows.

8. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are buying this bow for your 6 Year old brother?

You will want to be sure to get him one that he will be able to hold. The razor edge might weight too much for him right now.. IMO

Look into Bear's youth line. They have the Brave 3, which is $60-75 depending on where you buy it.. it is light weight with a 15-20 DW.. Already has a wisker on it.. but the string is a solid cable so you wouldn't be able to put a peep sight in it.

Bear's youth line is really nice because you should be able to get a new bow for your little brother every couple of years and they should have what you need.

Once your brother is able to hold a regular bow, I would look into a Mission Craze. it's a great little bow.. very smooth, double cam. I just bought my wife once and she loves to shoot it.

I am not an expert shooter.. but this site has been a great place to ask questions.. so don't hesitate.

9. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If he can handle 20# I strongly suggest the Mission Craze. No other bow on the market is as adjustable as the Craze, Riot, and Rally. 20-70# and 19-30" in DL adjustment, all with the simple turn of a screw. A ready to shoot package on the Craze is $399.

10. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No offense to anyone but I know for a fact (beside fuse - I have no knowledge) that all of these suggestions (although good) are way too much bow for a 6 yr old. I have an 8 yr old girl who has been shooting for about 1 1/2 yrs. the most important thing at that age is physical weight of the bow. All of these besides the mini genesis will be too heavy guaranteed. My daughter started with the mini and now is 8 and I just moved her up to the mission menace. The only other bows I would look at would be the new diamond (replacement for nuclear ice) or possibly a PSE mini burner. Other than that a small recurve may be ok too.

11. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That could be very true depending on the child. My daughter was shooting the Diamond Razor Edge at 6 without the quiver on it and was alright but I agree depeding on the child it could be a bit big.

12. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ spot on!

A good test would be to make him hold a 2.5 lb weight out like he would be holding a bow, and see how long until he gives.... at 6 y/o im sure it wouldnt bee long, Best bet would be to get him a bear brave 3 or something for 50$

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012