Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Your worst shot ever and recovered deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NY Bowhunter, Nov 15, 2013.

1. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 2nd doe this year, shot her in the hip, a few days later sealed the deal. phew!

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Single lung hit. It ran over a mile.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spine shot a small buck tonight, it's now at the top. I still don't know how it happened.

He came in and knew something was amiss. He was looking towards me, a squirrel comes out from whims my tree and runs towards him. He got a bit spooky but seemed to calm down once it was a squirrel. Rather than follow the trail around to me he cut up into the woods. It goes up hill but if anything he looked perfectly level, he was broadside but not looking at me. Put my pin on and it looked perfect, except he dropped instantly. Then flopping and got behind a tree. Went to grab another arrow me knocked my quiver to the ground. Lowered my bow and raced down the tree. When I got around he started freakin again so I shot him from the underside but still got both lungs.

Went back to the point of impact and I was thinking he was a foot elevated but I was taking into account my eye level, not his body level. I honestly have no idea how it did what it did. Was my first spine hit and how people can intentionally go for that shot is beyond me, and especially to be proud of it. No thank you.

Here are two angles showing the location. I couldn't pull the arrow out had to unscrew from the broadhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the location on my other buck, I don't get it, this was back a bit further but 3 1/2" below the spine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SRArney12

SRArney12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hit the hip on a doe. Found her 50 yrds from the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago, I shot a doe through the neck. I had a new safety harness with a short lead; when I twisted to the left for the shot (I shoot left-handed) it was pressing down on my elbow. The deer was quartering away pretty sharply & I should have just waited on the shot.
    I ended up bumping her that night. Went back in the next morning with a couple of my students, and we found her 150 yards from where I shot her.
    Lessons learned: Wait for the right angle & don't rush to look for marginally hit deer.

6. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My avatar: 1st bow kill, had her under my stand LQQKING at me, she walked to 30 yards and looked back at me as I was drawing my bow, she stepped behind a tree and was broadside at 35. Let the arrow fly, HIT, she jumped right and left and her side was covered red as she went into brush. Got real quiet. Femoral artery hit, she dropped within 15 yards.