Your Traditional Accomplishments and Goals

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by shed, Mar 5, 2009.

1. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have not yet hunted with trad equip., but really looking forward to it. I would have to say right now my goal is to have as much fun with it as possible and be ready when the shot presents itself. I can hardly wait.

LAEq

2. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing guys, I can not wait to see kills and hear the stories coming in over the years from you guys.

Big Props to VA for teaching others, thats what its all about. I had a friend of mine from Montana come over and help me when I first started last spring. Wow did that make a difference for me. And then to have Ryan come out and help me out as well. Its as if and when I kill something, that critter will be partly theirs as well! I am sure the many that you have helped feel the same way.

Jeff I really enjoyed reading your post as well and wanted to respond yesterday but ran out of time on the puter. That quote that you posted about the "leap" really gets a guy thinking about "why" we do this and for what reasons. I dont know if I will ever give up hunting with my other weapons just because I still enjoy them as well and they serve different purposes for fullfilling my priorities. I think if I was and if I ever get to the point where I am much more confident in my shooting that I would use my trad bow much more. I can only see myself getting their by really devoting a lot of time to the bow. Best of luck to you if you make the "Leap" or to those that already do; I tip my hat to those that take it on.

3. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The help went both ways...sharing with me a lot of good info you picked up from your buddy. And when you combine that with just how much fun we had that afternoon....priceless.

One thing nice about the little group we have in this forum is the blend of new guys & seasoned shooters. It's almost like a support group knowing there are other guys out there in similar situations & can understand what each other is dealing with.

4. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was really hoping to see some pics and hear some stories Woods! I know you have many.. love to hear were a veteran of the tradbow like yourself has progressed from..and where you see yourself going

5. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Ryan, this forum is coming along nicely! I like being able to ask some of the seasoned guys stupid questions! :d

6. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This site IS coming along just fine.. I enjoyed reading everything posted and maybe this will give a little insight into some of my history with organized Bowhunting..

Then maybe some stories..

holmescreations.com

see if this works

woodsman

7. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try again..

http://www.holmescreations.com/

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chris you are quite the "woodsman". Excellent site you have there, my hats off to ya!!:tu: Man that face of yours looks familiar too, I've saw It somewhere.;) Once again, great looking site!:cool:

9. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree'd I finally had the time to read through your site, awesome stuff, stories and pix to come right? Thanks for sharing Chris

10. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys.. The Kids thought I should have a web site :confused:
    Perhaps it's because they grew up attending many of the functions and had the opportunity to meet many of the true legends of the sport.

I really enjoy reading what you guys are saying. You may not realize it yet but you're going through a very exciting time, a time you'll look back at very fondly. You are truely beginning a journey and where it takes you is anyone's guess but enjoy and have fun.. never forget it's about having fun. It's unfortunate but I fear too many take it all way too seriously now days.

I am amazed at how quickly this site is growing. Good on all of you.

Stories?? maybe one or two.. :d

woodsman

11. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    The kids were right woodman, thats a great site. I have visited a few times now!:cool:

12. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where to start. lol. No real goal, other than to keep on harvesting. Ive built my own bows for years. Even got into the arrow making and had thought of taking up napping to make my own heads. But after spending years making arrows, i realized it was a pain in the butt, so If I do get into the napping, it will be just to harvest an animal with everything home made.

13. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    Come on now Burnie, we want some pictures. You've killed some GREAT animals now post em' up!

14. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ;) Thanks Joe, I appreciate that. Ill be doing so, as time goes by.:d

15. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I do have one immediate goal. A turkey this spring. I just hope to get time off to get out to stick and arrow in a bird. Just finished building the perfect bow for it and can’t wait to shoot a turkey with it.

16. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I spent 2005, 2006, 2007 and half of 2008 hunting only with recurves and longbows. I had a great time but ultimately came back to the compound b/c my proficiency was suffering due to lack of practice. 3 youngs boys seem to take all my extra time! I will probably dabble with trad gear on and off as time allows.

I killed 3 deer and 2 hogs over that time period. I missed another 5 deer.

Going trad has always been a two way struggle for me. On one hand, I longed for simplicity and taking the road less traveled. On the other hand I still have some unfinished business to do in terms of killing big, mature bucks. I make no bones about the fact that I need my compound to make that an easier reality. Mature buck opportunties are rare in my area and I need to take advantage of those opportunities. So... That is where I am at right now...

Who knows about the future, I very well could end up shooting a trad bow this season.... Time will tell.

I think every bowhunter should spend a few years hunting with only traditional equipment. I think it will really open your eyes to alot of the trivial things that many consider to be a big deal.