Your hidden hunting secrets

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jun 9, 2014.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying a theory I have had for 2 seasons now. The less I have went into my property the better so this year, I will go in once next week and cut lanes in 5 spots on my 30 acres. Then I wont return until opening day. That will make one trip in since closing day this past season. I will go in and scout the ares I know deer have been traveling and look for signs to hang one new stand spot along with the other 4 from last season. While I'm in, I will trim all my lanes and carry my stand in and out without leaving any of them this year. I will put out my normal minerals this one time since the site is saturated from 4 years of minerals. After I am done, I am done for the year until opening morning. Then it will be watch the wind, pick a stand and kill deer during season. If it works, that will be my tactic.

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solid plan and reasoning if you ask me. Best of luck!!!

4. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rutin's #'s 1 and 5 are probably the best tips I've read in this thread. I spend easily 4-5 times as much time scouting and clearing stand sites as I do hunting them.
    I am famous for hunting weird, nontraditional places other hunters overlook. Often guys will roll their eyes at me when I tell them where I plan to hunt. That's fine by me, it's not often I eat a buck tag, but the guys with the eye rolls eat plenty of them!

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    THAT's a great-looking burn! :tu:

6. Killemquietly

Killemquietly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hahahahaha so true, funny I remember being a bartender in college and standing for a 12 hour shift, now 20 years later standing on a stand for two hours seems all but impossible. maybe I need to recondition myself, I do believe this tip holds merit.

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I refuse to share mine...I don't want everyone else eating tag soup as often as I do

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to go with Steer A Deer this year as my next deadly secret but I think I am going to stick with deer tied to a rope. It's cheaper and more effective. Don't be a hater! It's a 100 footer. I like to give them a little bit of a chance. :p

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Redneck food plot. Throw some fertilizer around an area you plan to hunt. Makes whatever there grow more and look tastier for season opener.

10. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    * Hunt the beds and hang their heads. I'm aggressive. If I know where they live, I'm going to try to go kill them. I think a little too much precaution with not screwing with the bucks sanctuary. I'm not saying bath yourself in diesel fuel and go romping through his bedding area. Or hunt with the absolute worst wind for it. But you can get close enough with the right conditions to increase your chances.

* Think outside the box. Don't get complacent. Especially pieces of land you've hunted and known for years. Keep your eyes open and be willing to adapt. Don't just go to honey holes based on history. Continue to HUNT the deer on your land. I've killed a lot of deer at places I "shouldn't" be hunting.

* Put the time in (if possible). Simply put and heard a lot of times. Can't kill them from your couch. It's what we live for and short lived. The dog days of hunting where your body and mind say no, but you have to drag yourself out there. My biggest attribute is my time in the woods. Fortunately with my career I'm afforded that opportunity. I'm whooped at the end of the season and days where the alarm goes off and I force myself to do it. Would be easy to roll over and say tomorrow is another day. Make it happen when you can, might be that day.

* Smart practice. It is easy to go out in your shorts and T shirt and wing 50 arrows at a target with a solid group at different yardages. Closer to the season, put your hunting gear on, put a 3D target everyday at different yardage and angles, climb a stand and take ONE arrow. That's all you get. Make the shot. Maybe even go for a jog before climbing your stand to get your heart rate up. Vary your draw time before releasing the arrow. Mix it up as much as possible. Simulate the real deal.

11. Troutking

Troutking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First time in is the best. Rarely hunt a stand more than 2 times in a season.

Use a mobile setup and stay away from permanent sets. This allows you to prep more trees in the off season and helps with the above mentioned tip.

I worry about how well I can access a stand without alerting deer. I would rather hunt a good access stand that is good vs. a bad access location that is great.

Hunt within 200 yards of buck bedding outside of rut.

Hunt the moon. If you think it is BS do you also think that the moon doesn't affect tides and fishing? Its legit and it is a variable that has a schedule unlike the weather.

During daylight hours bucks will travel between 20% & 33% down the slope from the top of the ridge. Couple this with an old fenceline or cover break between cedars and hardwoods and you have a deadly spot. Of course be on the leeward side.

Approach from the top for morning hunts and from the bottom for evening hunts.

Don't carry a pack. Less is more.

The best deer funnels are found on topos rather than aerials, at least in the area I hunt.

Hunt wind that is good for the deer but hunt it where you are just out of their range. Play ticky tack with the wind. You will be busted but you will also see lots of deer. Stands that are set just for your advantage and not the deer will not be productive when trying to kill a good buck. They live by their nose so you have to play by their rules.

12. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This!

13. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've only got one.... Hunt with someone who knows a whole lot more than you do!

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Like BJE80 said but a little different, i put hot hands on the back of my neck and in my sleeves on my wrists. (When brutally cold) have to jack with the one on your release until its situated.

2. Dont go in for lunch!!!! If i plan on hunting morning and evening i do NOT go in for lunch. If i need to regroup and change game plans thats a different story but "stay where the Deer are if you want to kill a Deer." -great grandpa

3. If youre a light sleeper then sometimes a little catnap is effective. As long as you dont snore! Ive woken up many times to see deer right under me. When i nap im not moving around! Lol

15. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    -Pack Toilet Paper, do not eat Mexican food the night before, do not wear your favorite underwear.
    -Baking Soda/Borax and Campfire smoke work well to be less stank.
    -Have fun, once its becomes work it's not fun for anyone
    -Pee often, this is when deer are most likely to seek you out.
    -The internet is dumb, nature will tell you everything you need to know, with less drama. (Go for a walk)
    -Don't talk yourself in to a shot, if you have to think about it, don't do it. (Easier said than done)