Your favorite vest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I've already nearly broken the budget for hunting clothes this year, but the one last thing I really want is a good quality vest. Main requirement is that I would prefer it to be fleece. It will primarily be used for layering when it's cold but may see some early season action over a camp shirt. Preferences are for it to be in an open pattern, preferable Predator Gray/Brown but I'm open to seeing what's out there.

What do you recommend and why? Where can I buy it?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Natural Gear fleece vest that I LOVED. It was super warm, obviously quiet, and the collar was really high so it covered my neck well on those cold days. Unfortunately I lost it last year when I was helping Todd track a deer out. I got hot and took it off, then forget it wherever I hunt it out in the woods. I'm sure it's a good home for some squirrels now. I keep meaning to buy a new one before the season starts.

3. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be trying out the Predator fleece vest this season in Brown Deception! The fit is great and has a wind barrier in it just like their Fleece jacket in Brown Deception! Not a bad price tag either, under $50 at Sportsmans Warehouse!

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, I decided on the Predator Fleece Vest with Wind Barrier. I really really wish they offered it in the traditional predator patterns instead of just Deception, but it's the best compromise of what I've seen out there now.

Can't wait to get this thing!

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Matt - when you get it let me know what you think. I'm contemplating getting one myself.

6. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just sold a new with tags deception vest with matching beanie on Archery Talk. Should have been there! lol

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like this one.
    [​IMG]

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cabelas berber fleece vest(actually I have the pants vest and jacket), it is very warm. It is in "outfitters" camo.

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Gray Wolf Woolens Wolfskin vest in Spring Green Predator with the Comformax Wind Barrier, and a Fall Gray 100% wool vest with both the Comformax Wind Barrier and the LiteLoft.

Do you really need me to tell you how awesome they are? :D

10. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cant help Matt, mine is about 25 years old :d
    [​IMG]

11. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LOL
    And I have the Spring Green in Wolfskin with comformax and Liteloft, and the Fall Gray in Wool with just the Comformax. :d

These should be just the ticket to lash to a pack for those chilly mornings after you settle in.

12. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

and I've got a Fall Brown wolfskin with comfortmax on the way! :deer:

13. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I'll likely order one from Jeff at Gray Wolf next year in insulated Wolfskin, but the one I got for this season is pretty sweet. I got it tonight, and I'm very happy with it.

I ended up with the fleece vest with Wind Barrier from Predator's site. They only have it in Brown and Green Deception, so I ordered brown. It's the heavier weight 380 gram fleece, so it's pretty dense. It' not that crappy lightweight fleece stuff that they sell at some of the box stores, and even though I like Fall Gray/Fall Brown better, in my opinion it will break up outlines better than other commercial patterns. The XL size I ordered seems to be just the right size for a 6' 200lb guy. I'm sure it will work perfect for those early season hunts over a henley style shirt. It will alo be nice over or under a jacket during the mid/late season as an extra layer.

It has a zip out Wind Guard on the bottom that I like the concept of and fits well. Also has drawtring on the bottom, good size pockets, as well as a vertical zippered chest pocket.

I looked at a lot of fleece vests, and I think this is about as good as it gets in this price range. Only thing I'd like to change is to make it available in Fall Gray, or Fall Brown. :d