Your favorite coffee? Also, have you tried Death Wish coffee?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Jan 10, 2014.

1. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was Dunkin Donuts till they closed all the stores in the Rockford area. Now its McDonalds for $1.00. We just bought a Bunn for K-cups today. We have one in our office at work and its lasted 2 years of hard use so far. I have never seen any local grown coffee around here. That would be pretty cool and I would have to try it.

2. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up getting one of the reusable filters for my Keurig, so I can add more coffee than those little K cups. I really enjoy it this way since I can get a stronger coffee and it's cheaper than those damn cups. I also grind my own beans each time, which makes the coffee that much more fresh.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coffee Snob [ON] OFF

Grind your own beans, then use a pour over, like a Chemex, equals the best coffee of your life.

[​IMG]

ON [OFF]

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you guys tried a vaculator? It gives you the best coffee you will ever have... Trust me

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  6. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Can. Not. Stand. Coffee.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Blasphemy! I am on day 5 of 7 at work and I need some strong coffee today. Need it.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker and Tony, thanks for the suggestions. I am going to be ordering some coffee on Amazon soon and might add one of those little contraptions.

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, did you see the coffee I listed? Its good stuff!

10. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best coffee around here is a local roaster called Kaldi's coffee. They go all around the world working with small farms and have some very unique varieties throughout the year.

For anyone interested, you can order from them online.

Kaldi's Coffee

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do enjoy coffee, and like some of the different flavors on occasion but I dont get crazy with it or have a favorite.

One thing about me is I can't drink it hot and often put an ice cube or 2 in it so I can drink it sooner.

12. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hook, just looked up that Chemex...I now know what I'm asking for my birthday!

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Does your husband drink it hot?
    :poke:

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same.

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I dont know,,,LOL I get a cup every morning at a convenient store on way to work, It's my favorite (straight up black) and I have no idea what it is. If I get it some where else, I usually dont care for it! I dont brew it at home so I go with out on week ends!
    PS: I cant stand the smell of flavoried coffee's!!

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, just saw it, thanks. I am on a specialty coffee kick and want to try new stuff.

Rybo, I am the same, I don't like burning hot drinks.

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cuban cafe.

Usually buy it from a walk up window at a Cuban restaurant but ill make my own for everybody when we're hunting and camping out.
    Little shots are a great pick me up.

Or iced American coffee. I'll take my left over coffee and freeze it in a ice cube tray to use in my ice coffee. Really great.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello my name is Chad and I too am addicted to coffee (Hi Chad)….seriously I love the stuff. The best I've tasted was a bean from Rwanda that Dunn Bros used to carry originally. I'm really starting to like French press a lot!

19. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For my every day habit, I buy Columbian Supreme whole bean and grind right before I put it in the coffee maker. Get a burr grinder, not that glorified blender of a cheap coffee grinder with the blade in the bottom of the basin. The burr grinder does a better, more uniform job. I also buy whole beans from a locally owned micro-roastery. I tend to prefer Central or South American coffees (yes, you can taste the difference), with Columbia and Costa Rica as my personal favorites, but they recently had some Ethiopian which was really good. When I have more time, I use the french press or do a pour-over like Hooker's. My pour-over is not quite so 18th Centrury looking though. These are usually for an after-dinner coffee, because they do take a while.

First I put some water on to boil on the stove. Yes, I do think it does a better job than if I boil it in the microwave. Then adjust my grinder and grind the beans - needs to be a larger-sized grind for the french press - and put them in the press. Once the water boils I take it off the heat and wait about 20 seconds - it needs to be just off the boil, not actually boiling - then add to the french press. Then I wait. 4 minutes. Then I SLOWLY depress the plunger/filter on the french press. Usually takes 30-45 seconds to fully depress. Only after this do I get the cups ready. There is always some fine particles that get through the filter. Waiting another 30-60 seconds while I get the cups, etc. ready allows some more of that to settle out. Yes this takes time, and may seem a bit neurotic, but french press really is the best cup of coffee you will have.

Most important thing to remember - with coffee you really do get out of it what you put into it. You can put Folgers or Maxwell House into a $1000 coffee maker, or use the most perfect french press technique, and you will STILL have crap coffee.

20. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have to say I like me some Blue Mtn coffee, which are coffee beans from Jamaica. I first had it when I went there on spring break 4 years ago, and it is served with hot milk. I'll find it at the occasianal mom and pop coffee shop, but buying the beans gets expensive quick.