Your career....Skills.... How Does it help?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    550' FT on grating walking around a smoke stack, no fear here either.
    getting up early
    mostly inside now but used to be outside alot
    I have made a ton of my own hunting related items since i used to me a mechanic. camera arm, camera stick, two hang on stands, a ground blind bow holder, a bow press, a bow vise, my own archery shop work area (buckeye you have one to via your trade skills:d )some of my sons ladder stands, a tree stand vise for my four wheeler, a bow holder for my climber, bow holders for hang ons, yada yada yada :deer: judging distances and best of all, 5 weeks vacation on top of 8 days off regular schedual once a month with some weekends in between===some major time off for hunting :rock: starting 10 more days tomorrow :rock:

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing that I can think of, as a matter of fact I only know of one other hunter in the whole building of 800 people:(

Other than the great art of sitting on my butt and watching my employees and busting them when they are slackin I can't think of anything:confused:

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    only one more hunter out of 800 :confused: 799 of them needs slaped :hater:

4. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not a damn thing. I'm a dentist.

5. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one that hunts only gun hunts and is from Texas. I showed him some deer I killed and he said they were nice but not as big as some he shot with the rifle on the family ranch. I then reminded him that you can't sit in a blind over 500lbs of Corn in Illinois and use a rifle while watching Oprah in the blind! He quickly realized that he wasn't a hunter but a shooter;) He is also the Director of the building so that was my last slam on him;)

6. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im a manager and have roughly 100 people working for me....It doesn't help.

SB
    lol

7. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My analness I guess is my biggest strength that translates into success when hunting. Attention to details - everything matters mentality.

Mostly though, a good work ethic I think is the thing you will find with any successful bowhunter. Many of the best "pros" are in their positions because they have worked their butt's off in all aspects of their lives, including hunting. The guys who are knocking down giant deer on a regular basis aren't typically your welfare type cases. Many are business owners, or self-employed. It means they (myself included) work twice as hard throughout the year to put the time in the woods on the right properties each season. There are ways that money can definately help the situation, but in most cases, hard work is the major reason guys kill big deer consistently.

8. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd have to say my job helps a little bit...Well, at least I have all the latest gear to play with anyway...:cool: :d

9. IL_Bow_Man

IL_Bow_Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My job does absolutely zero to help me out. I sit in front of this dang computer and draw pictures. I am a designer and I really don't see anything thing that helps...except for maybe when it is time to leave to go hunting, I am ready to get out of here. Now if only I could come up with something to design that would make me millions...I would be a happy camper.

Now...if I could just find me a gig like BowTech_Shooter!! Hey...does Bowtech need anybody to test out a new long bow? I am looking to get into that...maybe I could be the guy for that!

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to college for wildlife biology/management but my paying job (besides my soldier of fortune work) is as a medical coder. That background gives me a very good handle on both critter and human anatomy and physiology. That helps me with precision critter wacking. (and makes me go nuts when folks don't understand why that shoulder shot wasn't in the vitals. grr)

Working for emergency rooms also gives me a healthy respect of all the various ways you can maim and kill yourself out in the woods. Makes me safer. Kind of.

Otherwise, the best thing about my job and hunting is that it's only dependant on having some time and a decent internet connection. 6am or 6pm or 3am, from my house or my truck, doesn't matter. For instance, I'll be working long hours today at home (i'm taking a break right now) so that tomorrow I can hunt most of the day and not worry about getting much work done.
    That rocks.

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Other than putting some coin in my pocket, my career is useless for hunting and honestly detrimental. If I put a lot of effort into my career and "moved up the ladder", I'd have even less time than I do to go hunting.

12. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can...But it involves alot of :beer: :beer: :beer: :cool: :deer:

Honestly, Everybody has to have something that helps them. Dentist, you have to have patients? lol
    Everyone that said they have people working for them has to have some level of tollerance built up from that...
    Heck I am a supervisor, and I just had to let go the fifth guy in 6 months. for looking at mature websites.
    I can not tell you how many times I asked my boss if I could just take them into the back room, and umm...yeah. :confused:

I am not a people person.

13. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keeps me in decent shape, helps a little with distance judgeing a little(but making parts for Caterpillar I have to convert everything back from Metric :d. Doing work down to thousandths of an inch helps me pay attention to the smallest of details.That definately relates to bowhunting.

14. bowtech cooter

bowtech cooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I work at a shop doing simple car stuff like oil changes and tires and mufflers. Being mechanical helps me work on my bow I guess but nothing else helps hunting.

15. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'm a computer network geek, my job helps me read buttloads of info about whatever the heck subject i feel like, this time of year its deer...

16. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a personal trainer and train like a madman.:sheep:
    As a hunter being in shape is helpful but I always get stuck hauling the deer out!:confused:

17. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being a salesman you probly have learned a lot of patience! LOL! I'm in sales too. Lots of sittin around shootin the bull and waitin on customers to decide what they are going to do! Just like bowhuntin, cept we can't talk the bucks into coming by our tree! LOL!

I'm also sound man at my church and get my own room sittin high above the congregation, best seat in the house! lp

18. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say that my Hunting helped more with my jobs than my jobs helped my hunting. Had a bow in hand and been poking around in the woods as long as I can remember.
    A few Jobs I have had and how I think they were related.
    Professional Soldier = To many to list, right down to problem solving skills.
    Bouncer in Go Go Bars in Detroit = Dealing with Drunks in Deer camp.
    Iron worker = Packing heavy tool belt and squirreling my way around on steel.
    Bounty Hunter = Patterning dumb humans, most are easier than Whitetails.
    Fly Fishing/Hunting Guide = Self Explanatory.

19. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I spent 6yrs in teh infantry, mostly as an M60 machine gunner... I had a simple job, walk thru the woods and kill people with extreme prejudice... i was well suited for it...

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    John called Duke gay :busted: :d