Your best arrow recommendation for penetration

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Moose, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Brand promoting aside, I thought I would turn to this large community for recommendations on their tried and true arrow recommendations.

I’ve been shooting Carbon Express Piledrivers since I started hunting. Just switched to a Bowtech Carbon Knight from a buddy and I am running lower on arrows than I’d like. So I thought before going with the PileDriver again I would see if there are any potentially better options recommended by real every day outdoorsman like myself.

Bow stats : 65-70# draw (switch a little lower come December {sighted in again}) 28.5” draw.

Thanks ahead of time and I appreciate any feedback received!

-Moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Black Eagle rampage or
    FMJ.

Moose likes this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The two most important variables in penetration are arrow weight and Broadhead type. Variations in arrows themselves will have very little if any effect providing the other variables remain the same.

TheHardWoods913 and Moose like this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Eh... True but, I think smaller shaft tends to lead to better pen.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea in theory, practice not so much. Its pretty low down the list of factors that contribute to penetration. Weight, broadhead style and Bow tune all are way more important then arrow diameter

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope the Piledrivers are still 11.3 gpi, weight forward design, no reason to switch.

mikey custom-g and Moose like this.
  7. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m thinking the same thing. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    targets aren't perfect comparison to flesh but I get an easy 8-10" more penetration in foam w/ 500gr .204s Rampages or Victory RIPs vs. PileDrivers. PDs have almost 2x the surface area to drag on.

But either set up hits like a hammer and kills deer dead.

9. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Penetration ?

Couple things to gloss over. Broadheads matter, cut on contact (COC) such as German Kinetics ( no bleeders) slice excellently.

Next arrow KE which results in high momentum. Therefore you want enough weight on your finished arrow, and your FOC ( front of center) balance so that your tip when hitting has the full force of inertia behind it.

Another item is arrow shaft outside diameter. Less diameter means less friction and drag. A FMJ will our penetrate say a Easton Fat Boy.

So putting all these together, your finished arrow, should be balanced so that your tip has more weight forward and balances closer to the tip then it does to the center. There’s FOC formulas you can use. Weight forward is simple to influence yourself. I’m a Carbon Express user and their weight forward is mostly a gimmick. I can add a 25 grain heavier head, or add brass to my insert to weight it forward more effectively then CE can do with carbon. Lol but they make a valid point of the “need” for that point to have drive behind it.

With that all said ? When I’m looking for penetration on a bigger pig hunt, I’ll go to a full metal jacket, 175 grain German Kinetic Silver Flame XXL that pinches almost a 2 inch cut. I like collars to aide the tip from bending and a stiffer 1 step up spined arrow. In my case a 340 or 300 because I need to cut them longer being these broadheads are huge and can pin your fingers to the riser when cut short.

My second choice which was my first choice until FMJ came out are Easton ACC 3-71’s or 3-66.

I’m going to check out that suggested Black Eagle shaft being I have not seen them.