Your 2022 land projects.....

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 5, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like a real nice area.
    Wish me luck I mixed up a back pack of 2-4 DB 200 with grass killer and hit the beans. Let's see how accurate my last year as r notes were. I speakerphone a bit later than these. .unfortunately The carpet of grass and hay field weeds was just to thick to wait. I'm actually hoping the cow peas were planted deep enough most haven't emerged yet. I do know this. The smell and taste should keep the critters away. I have to mix another tank to finish the field tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So the beans I sprayed...they have folded up their leaves, some have wilted over. The big weeds look bad and the curly dock is completely shrivled up. Rain is due tonight and tomorrow so we'll see if they recover before I spray the rest.
    The corn mortgage a lot more really sad looking corn but germination was actually really good considering. I also round up spayed a section of that which was thin....the feed corn maybe DR. If so I may try another crowded out area.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy with my weed kill last week for the brassica plots next week (planting date).
    Always try for July 25 but will plant a bit early/later if good rains are predicted.
    Pumpkins/ squash plots are very disappointed.
    My main late season plots

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, I have to double time it their next couple of days because if luck holds we have a week of fUn coming and I need to get brassica in where I can and I want to do a early clover lay down in a small area to check growth ability at this time.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Quick up date the majority of beans sprayed wilted, some gaurd leaves turned brown ( burnt) . That said there was still new growth coming. So we are on a we'll see stance. They could recover but just be stunted . Now that's a bad thing for commercial but this is a late before frost draw plot. The corn I sprayed with round up has new growth..remember this is feed corn.. I may spray other half of beans in just grass killer. Because major weed other than grass is chick weed.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    With rains the feed corn is actually looking good in a few spots,....others,well it's going to take me a few,years to fight the hay planting. The beans...looking sad even the soybeans that the spray was for...hmmmm.
    I've let my tree work take a back burner until last night when I started limbing along both drives...OMG the bugs and it's my eyes and mouth they target. I got hit so hard that at one point I wounded my own lip fighting them off..WTF!

7. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a 75% chance of rain tomorrow so I went ahead and planted 3 of my plots, hopefully they are right this time. It’s about a week early but since there’s a good chance of rain I went ahead with it. Will plant the others with the next chance of rain, fingers crossed!

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Went back up to the property and finished up the plots since there’s a good chance of rain again. Hopefully they are right again! B05CEF66-B555-4271-BF68-75C02EFA0A94.jpeg 8149C8F1-5B22-4A15-B0A1-B82D50A8C688.jpeg 1A1F72D5-7709-48D3-96FE-5F9DCF5D390D.jpeg

Suncrest08 and oldnotdead like this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well my notes on last year's bean spray wasn't as good as I thought. Then again I had not sprayed so early and had not mixed in a grass killer too. The beans are not recovering. Plus more weeds are popping up. I should have just killed down all summer and planted later winter rye in the hay. The corn is doing well considering but the grasses from hay are now a thick cover. I had sprayed a round up kill down and the corn survived the sorghum did not. The grass is so bad I may have to spay down and do a late rye planting. What a pain in the butt...never will l make that mistake again it will be years fighting the seed bank. Regardless never a fail, just not pretty results. There will be enough for a draw and there seed company enough terminated enough in areas to my the cover wanted and they are being eaten so deer are coming in to it.

10. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Have good germination already on the first plots, hopefully we keep getting enough rain to keep them going 7CF00A36-5582-44D9-A2E4-ABBBD06D12BE.jpeg 02B12577-EA43-4C56-B516-16ED804A3F0D.jpeg

oldnotdead likes this.
  11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    I seeded my brassica a week ago into bone dry soil.

Not a drop of rain since.
    plan B will be oats/rye early sept.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'm feeling year pain this year. I did 2 kill downs for fall brassica around tree plot, still weedy. I planted the corn no rain, lots of critters. When it did rain the old hay field blew up in it stunting the corn and sorghum. Same with the beans but I sprayed those. The spray messed up the beans. So did not spray the other section. Weeds are slowing those.
    I normally have pretty nice plots .this year is a ****e show. Make me laugh though first year the garden hasn't been a complete PITA . Even with the one wood Chuck getting through the fence...not much damage other than lots of peas eaten. And a few romaine. Oh and first corn rotting in ground. At least the second planting Is growing.
    I'll never say a complete fail because even through the weeds. The critters are finding the plants that did grow. The weeds are actually hidng some of the plants giving them a chance to grow . So it's bringing them in letting them know there is a food source. The corn ateas basically for cover and still may get tall enough to do that.
    I will just not buy any seed next spring. Spend my time and money spraying and discing all the areas that I'm having weed issues in to beat most of the weed seed bank. Then hit all of it very hard with rye next fall. Disc that in, in the spring. Then I'll decide on buck wheat or till in clover and rye again.
    I am sick of grass weeds, chick weed and several low growing viney weeds . I'm also sick of discing. So need to get a base cleaning again to get my roll over interseeding cover crop system going .

13. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Got about 1/2" overnite.

Needed it badly!

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Went down to disc up around the fruit trees a small area as you enter the corn and two strips in front of the corn blind. A bear bent my tree fence twisted and snapped my late peach tree completely in half ...I won't even abbreviate the words I have for that one. Suppose the good thing in this only one of the 2 peaches had fruit...could have been worse.

15. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Checked a brassica (bout 3/4) acre plot I seeded last Monday.
    Had about 3/4" rain that night.
    It's up and looks great!

oldnotdead likes this.
  16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Went back down and light disc and narrow dragged those plots again then seeded with a combo of soybeans and mostly cow peas I found. And just harrowed in. We were suppose to have rain all day tomorrow. Well of course that changed and no rain until the afternoon. This is good because I need to do the same up here . Just a little bea n seed left. I will go down in a bit and go over those beans withdrawals and a clover. By God something will have to beat the weeds! The ground was bone dry down there. My clover is stunted and producing seed down there. The feed corn I'd growing in the road side part of plot but only 2ft tall at the moment. The corn at end of plot is very spotty and out grown by grasses. I put n a U shaped plot in that area and hopefully will have time display RR over the corn/grass down there. I did spray Erin part of it that dis not kill the morning did sorghum and more grasses grew back. I hope the disc drag a few Tim's has pulled up enough roots
    In for a rest and headed back out..

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Went back down and spread brassica over the bean plots and in general any are that showed dirt down there and around the property. We have some heavy rains dew starting today. If some grow great in the non filled or dragged areas if not well it's only 4 bucks. With Gator locked up I can't drag small tight areas with the tractor.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    20220805_084814.jpg 20220805_084606.jpg 20220805_084535.jpg 20220805_084525.jpg I have a small garden area that I've neglected the last few years . I've kicked deer out of it several times due to being at the end of drive. It has fruiting trees , vines and bushes. There is a main trail they've made coming up out of gully and there are three huge producing red oaks. I tilled up the area we mow and will plant brassica. Clovers in the spring.
    Here are a few pics. That giant bushy thing and berries are my kiwi. The vines grow over an arbor that use to have a swing in it ...but would now be a great place to " hide". The kiwi do not ripen until hunting season here and are prolific and sweeter than fuzzy kiwi. I raked in left over beans and topped with a little rape seed. .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    arrowflinger1 likes this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing it did not rain. I figured I might as well finish up some plotting. That long area I hand seeded then raked in remaining beans and topped with rape seed before the heat git me. I'll finish it up later. I have another area,not seen to rake as well.
    What a PITA it is having the Gator down. That's a lot of raking in pretty damp clay type soil. Only damp area on the property save center plots at the bottom of hill.

20220805_121141.jpg 20220805_121112.jpg 20220805_121042.jpg

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  20. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Went and put up a couple of tree stands, stopped by one plot on the way through. Not much rain has slowed germination, but it is growing ok in the lower wet areas. I will fill in the areas 147F96C0-BE4C-4F69-A336-B34702FB0DF9.jpeg 87E80C5E-0EF5-4416-AE28-7C72BB64C48A.jpeg with rye in a few weeks.

oldnotdead likes this.