Your 2022 land projects.....

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. I rarely buy new either. Around here people are getting almost the same price for used as new is the only problem. Something to consider maybe is a dump trailer. That way you can use it for more then just hauling equipment. That's what I did and love having it now. Only down side is that its higher then a equipment trailer, so can be a little more difficult to load sometimes.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How big of a dump trailer would one need? I mean with a brush cutter attached I would think you would need a pretty big dump to get the doors closed? Or maybe just remove them? I was trying to find a 18ft for around $2500 (utility / car hauler style). I found a pretty nice tilt bed 22 ft, 4 + 18 for $3750. I am sure a dump that is in good shape would be quite a bit more. I am seeing the same shortages on trailers as well. Making it hard to find a good deal on both a new and used trailers. Thank you POTUS... :(

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That tilt trailer is the way to go. So nice for loading up with attachments on the tractor. That is the another down side with dump trailer. When attachment is on tractor it makes it hard to properly center load on trailer. I have a 14' one and it does everything I need, but would have no problem with a 16'. The cost is usually double of a equipment trailer. Used probably in the 5k - 8k. New probably pushing 10k.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Heckler likes this.
  4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For hauling your tractor and an attached implement, that tilt trailer would be great. The price also seems good.

My tractor is slightly larger than yours and I bought a 24' with fold down ramps. It is a monster. It weighs 4400 pounds empty. I pull it with a 3500 dump truck which I can also load some implements into. I just lift them out of the bed with the tractor when I get to where I'm going.

Have fun. I love working with my tractor.

Heckler and Holt like this.
  5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your feed back. I am going to see if the tilt is still available. I tried to buy the biggest tractor I could but also keep it realistic knowing I was going to have to haul it between at least 4 different properties. Didn't want to put myself in a position where it became a PITA.

I appreciate your feedback as well Holt.

A little sanity check goes a long ways!

Holt likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My seed arrived tonight. Well packed in 2 separate boxes. Boxes in very good shape seed in great shape. It's been wrapped tight and placed in a bin on the basement floor in front of the basement door. One of the coolest areas of the basement. So cool, dark, dry place until spring. I'm not worried about it having been frozen it was a very short time from ordering and shipping from Florida to my getting it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well Looks like I may change a few things on plans..fertilizer is just out of touch period. Now I have a bunch of water solulable miracle grow I use for food garden that will go in big sprayer for plots and I've lined up some local stall manure for the garden I can get by the Gator load easily.
    I'm killing down the hay plot after turkey breeding season. That will then get a late summer legume planting. I'm looking to put vetch in with the wild life sorghum. Getting more clovers down wirrh the beans I all ready have. The rape seed will be combined with a legume.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Heckler likes this.
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Man the muscles you didn't realize you haven't been working...OUCH!
    Today the winds calmed and temps went to low 40's. I grabbed the loppers and hit the garden area.. another 4 hr. session but pruning not shovelling. I got the blueberries, grape vines, blk. and raspberry, the wild plums. I got some chestnuts and 2 Apple's done. Wow sore arms shoulders and the hands are screaming.. No time today but when I get back from the covid test I'll grab some cutting off blueberry and grapes to start some new plants.
    A.J. did his part as well he spent the entire time hunting and digging. I managed to pull two voles out of his mouth but being busy I didn't constantly watch him. Who knows how many he ate...I see a worming in his future.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered 10#'s Balansa fixation clover. 3.80 a pound for clover was a pretty good price for this performance type. So corn, sorghum soy and cow peas with clover.
    Oopppss...forgot trophy rape.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  10. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The deer really liked rape when I planted it. Chicory also. This year will be the same ..... beans, sunflowers and clover.

I'm debating buying my fertilizer soon and storing it until I need it.

oldnotdead likes this.
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I decided on the fixation because is bio mass and nitrogen production,with added tap for bringing up other nutrients. Suppose to be fall planted here but I may frost seed a couple of small areas to see how it does also doing a kill around the tree plot as soon as possible this spring ,dragging with the drag weighted and then overseeing the Balansa. Also going to attempt an interplanting into the corn and sorghum. The other planting dates for it are July1 through August. I never get my corn in until later due to Turkey season being late here. Other than for the corn I'm going to avoid tractor work this year. I have a hay area I'm killing down for corn.

Tell me what you think. Mow due to orchard grass being thick, kill...wait kill again then straighten disc blades and roll over a few times broad cast the corn and use roller over it before a rain. I just want channels in it not turn it over. Seeing I use feed corn I'm not worried about low germination. I plant way more than needed any ways due to critters. I've had mobs of squirrel in my field digging up corn kernels like mad then birds come in at the 3-4 inch stage and yank the plants out of the ground and leave them....I never understand why they don't do that to the farm corn. I never see them spraying young corn with anything. Birds have literally yanked out an entire 1/4 to 1/2 acre on me before.I've posted past pics of it...

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys...I saw this coming, Russia halting fertilizer exports to USA.
    Now is the time to get those soil building seeds . There are already several hard to find.
    Buckwheat and radish for phosphorus.
    Farmers are going to have to change things up this spring and you can believe they will do what they can to lower costs and still improve crops. Wheat is another crop we will not be seeing imported. So they will have to plant as much as they can...making the cover crops that much more timely to rotate in.
    Get your seeds now, become friendly with anyone with livestock. Make your own fertilizer. 55 gallon barrels half filled with manure topped off with water. Let it sit for a few weeks and then strain well. If you have spray tanks and strain it well enough then use your "boom" or on smaller areas a back pack sprayer. It can be diluted with more water before spraying. Use the solids around your fruit trees .

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    BTW...Municipalities with sewer treatment plants and leaf pickup have compost piles. Look into getting that. It's heat treated and safe. That is what Milorganite is.

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday A.J And I got out to work and . Him to play. I raked rocks out of the gypsy blind plot and made it just a little bigger. A.J. kept giving me added raking covering up the holes he was digging all over the area I was raking.. This until a hinged area caught his intrest. Where he managed to dig a hole deep enough for his entire body. Lol his nose was so packed in dirt he was huffy from sucking in said dirt.
    Today I have just a little left then I will lay down a bag or two of lime and some of the balansa clover I bought. I need to do that JUST before a rain due to the turkey. I love them but what a PITA during planting season even little seed and then any seedlings that come up.
    Oh boy hours raking after being sick. I was sore last night but not too bad this morning.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    My body must have an internal 4 hr off button. I spent another 4 hrs finishing and extending the gypsy blind plot. I planned on laying down lime and then seed because we have rain coming. Now that plot has been lime been limed every year and like all plots they get a bag or two each year. It's too windy to lime but I will get the seed down and put the lime down when the wind dies down.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So when looking for the balansa clover I found 5+'s of clovers I didn't know I had. I mixed Lidino, Alice, medium red, and the Balkans and seeded the plot. I then over seeded the plot I made behind the house that has rye growing in it.
    In the same bucket I also found a few pounds of turnip seed.
    While I was seeding the gypsy plot the beef farmer came up through his hay field with the boom sprayer. I think I smelled glysophate. Which would be great! When he wants to "clean " an old hay field he plants corn. The clovers and alfalfa in the hay field should have built up enough nitrogen, fertilizers shouldn't be bad. Let's hope I'm right.

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yes yes, still raking rocks. This time on new plot behind the house. One-half of what I got done last year retained growth. The rye in half is growing quite well. Half pretty bare. Today I went out and continued my rock raking of the ones that were loosed with last year's tilling and then heaved over the winter. I then leaf blew the area I plan on raking and tilling lime into this year. Then went to the established trail plot raked that and seeded those established areas with clovers. It hailed when I was out there there is low 30's coming. Hoping getting this done early enough will allow clovers to produce good leaf before the trees do. Several shade producers have died over the winter.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    And......poor man's fertilizer
    Plot I worked on yesterday

20220410_090550.jpg

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today I got the saw out. I took several small scrub maple down just above some lower growth. This should cause that growth to really pop and produce what I call deer treecicles. Cut a huge dying beech. It was leaning and I did a hing type cut...well will need the next windy day to get it all the way over. Cut a big dying ash the beetles got this past fall. That hinged well so I left it as a hing. Cut up a basswood I dropped across a trail last year. Then cut up a maple that fell across the big cowpea trail plotsfrom last year. Worked in the garden a bit. I also opened the old mid woods chicken coop. I have to clean bedding out of it then fix the floor and cut out Windows for hunting. It has high wired opening across one side with one plexiglass glass window at the end . Unfortunately we had a Fisher literally rip out the plexi glass window got in and kill every chicken. That was a few years ago ...BTW A.J. killed a huge weasel over at the garden last week. So we get our eggs from our son now. Coop will be another enclosed blind. Had a busy day.

20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bush hogged my beans down yesterday. The farmer adjacent to me knifed in some anhydrous ammonia the day before prepping for corn. Then we had a hell of a hail storm and a lot of rain. It's still raining.

cut beans 1.jpg

oldnotdead likes this.