You know you are addicted to shooting when....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigUTMuleys, Aug 26, 2013.

1. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in a small neighborhood with houses all around us, so shooting in the backyard is something in usually have to hide from the neighbors and shoot against my garage however, tonight I found a new way to get my shooting fix. .....
    I put all the kids to bed a half hour early, and took their little $15 Bear Scout out back to shoot, for an hour.
    I am hopelessly addicted.
    What do you all got?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put my kids to bed and go to shop in my barn. It's only 10 yd shots but its good for my fix.

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally wouldn't shoot in my backyard, or front, or side yard. Or in any yard where my back stop could be somebodies living room window, but where I shoot/hunt is only 15 minutes away.

4. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where shooting the bow doesnt present any hazards. However I have lived in other places and can certainly relate to your frustration. Shooting the kids bow..lol.

5. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will put my girls to bed and the wife works nights then stand in the hallway so the girls rooms are behind me and shoot my block target in the kitchen, if I back it up to the laundry room I can get a 20 yard shot but the doorway is narrow and I'm worried ill hit the frame. But it's good shooting on rainy nights.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot at least 50 shots almost every day in my basement...19yds.
    If nothing else, it helps form and muscle memory, even tho I have to be careful not to bust shafts.

7. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fortunately right now my front yard allows 60yd shots if i step nehind my house I can get over 100yds

8. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I live on 60 acres so neighbors are not a problem. My closest neighbor used to bow hunt but do to a condition now hunts with a crossbow. He would let me shoot on his place if I wanted to. :D

9. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can squeeze in 38 yards in the back yard. Keep the target low with a fence and my neighbor's shed as a back stop. Neighbor is cool and I put a red rag on the fence when shooting. Haven't hit the shed yet, but I always draw with the bow slightly below level. I have short-arm disease so shoot 72 pounds to compensate for loss of speed. The old Alphamax is an easy draw, but has a shallow valley.

10. Glenn58

Glenn58 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 acres so no problem outside. But when the weather is bad I have a clear 20yds in my basement so I never have a problem shooting when I want to!!!

11. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm surrounded by houses so shooting in the yard is limited. I have permission to shoot on the old school baseball field as long as I want. The town mayor even encouraged me to start a league but I have never found the time. Takes longer to load the targets and bow in the truck than actually get there.

12. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't shoot in town. It's against the law here. My friends farm is less than 10 minutes away and I have a 100 yard range set up with a 17' ladder stand set up. I have to drive to get my fix but that's ok.

13. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can push 30 yards out back, I have a 4 1/2 foot wood fence so if I miss I've "installed" a few arrows in it but it works. I'm going to buy some hay bales for a backstop that won't kill my arrows.

14. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can get 25 yards off of the deck on my house. Fence as a back stop and no neighbors on any side of me, works pretty slick. If I want to get a little further (out to 50), I go to my cousins down the street from me. He also has no neighbors. If all else fails, I drive to my parents farm 2 miles away and have endless opportunities!

15. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Before I bought my house I would shoot inside my apt. From the foyer to the back of my closet/apt was 8 yds. Let me tell you, I can stack arrows at 8 yds!!!

Now I shoot wherever outside. In Winter, I move my target into my work room and shoot 15 yds all winter. Love it.

I grew up in the city, and would shoot all afternoon while my neighbors watched...didn't bother me. If you have a backstop what are they gonna do?

16. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can shoot 14 yard in my basement. When we bought the place my girlfriend questioned my organizing of the space... She clearly didn't know that I had intentions of being able to shoot the 14 yard diagonal across the basement!

17. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot into my garage until I get a good fix. I can get up to 30 yards but don't go past 25 in case I slip up there's more room for error.

18. Kristine

Kristine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an acre fenced in by a 6ft privacy fence. Jim & I shoot to 40 no prob

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

19. raynman46

raynman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have 2 acres and a 20 yd shot in my basement. So i put a lifetime movie on to occupy my wife and i am out the door.

20. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I asked my neighbors if they cared that I shot in my yard and they didn't care. I can get to 30 yards if I stand on the side of my house. My back stop is a shed so I don't have to worry about shooting into someone's house. Has anyone ever tried shooting from there roof to get more practice. I did it and I am sure it looked real hillbilly.