You ever think back and say, "darn I was lucky not to be killed or hurt bad"?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Dec 1, 2015.

1. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My CBR 954 contributed to a lot of my "What the hell was I thinking?" Moments.
    Between 3rd gear wheelies, drags , clover leafs, back road blasting and 160 on the straightaways.
    Looking back its probably best it got stolen.
    Guy that stole it ran from the cops, proved to be too much bike for him. She was bound to kill someone, might as well of been a thieving meth head.

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every time a cop goes by

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    About five years ago we were on a structure fire. I was in our tanker (old semi milk truck) that carries 3500 gallons of water. It was FREEZING cold and everything was ICE. We just finished refilling and started heading back to the fire grounds. Weren't going fast but crested a little hill and slid down it. (3500 gallons of water pushing us, too). Driver couldn't stop and we were coming to a main road that T'd. Woods straight out. I started blaring the sirens, driver blaring the air horn. Thankfully this was late at night and no cars were coming (it was 55mph zone). We made it and turned. I thought we were either going through woods or rolling. To this day I hate that truck in winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I farm and have driven on I-70 a few times...hate to "one up" everyone but I just can't help being "that guy".

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too many stories to tell. I wont even begin. Lol

6. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am 35, will turn 36 on the 23rd. I have had 2 strokes bc of stress and divorce/children custody battles and that's the reason I have gotten back in to archery to make my arms stronger and bc I love the outdoors. Two years ago I had two thugs break in to my house when I came home early from work and was parked in the garage. Heard the noise of some rambling going on downstairs so I reached for old Ferries and when I grabbed the. 45 and went downstairs I saw two thugs stealing my computer, my dad's 16 gauge antique shotgun and a ton of watches and other stuff. I rounded the corner and one of them pulled up his .380 and pulled the trigger. It just snapped and didn't go off... I guess the good Lord has bigger plans for me. I took the. 45 and put two rounds in to the first guy who chuncked the computer at me and put one more in the other guy who was running at me with the 16 gauge of my great grandfather's. Needless to say, the one who tried to throw the Dell at me bled out on the front sidewalk after I tried to put pressure on his wound and had called the ambulance. I held his hand while he passed but he had been let out of ja

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  7. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    il early on attempted murder charges the day before bc our jail was overcrowded. The second guy gets out on my birthday(he took one) and I truly hope he has been rehabilitated in jail but I doubt it. I went to his trial and this was his 5th/6th strike but it doesn't matter bc our judicial system is so screwed it doesn't matter. But I thank the good Lord everyday that on that day his gun didn't go off and mine did. But I am just happy God has a plan for me,everyday is a gift ;) #alllivesmatter

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Life is precious. Glad you made it bradn.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Many stories here too, but about 10-20 years ago I started to also see more 'coincidental' misses...for some reason get slightly delayed, interrupted, inconvenienced, distracted or something else before a calamity, wreck or near miss that I just have to say "Thank you Lord!"

10. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And do you still talk to your brother WOW???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That stuff will kill you quick. Dang that was close.

12. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

13. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep it was a close one. When I was a kid a bulk tank on the edge of town developed a bad leak. If the wind would have been coming from the east they would have had to evacuate most of the small town I lived in. The vapors will suck the breath right out of you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One time in particular stands out. In college I was driving my buddy and our two dates to WV from western Maryland for a fraternity formal. It was late at night and we came around a corner (not drinking or speeding) hit some black ice and went off the side of the mountain. They don't have guard rails in this area so the only thing that stopped us was a single tree that caught the back passenger side of my jeep. We all jumped out, called AAA and they snapped 2 tow ropes before finally being able to pull it back up to the road. Only had a small dent on my vehicle from where we hit the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. JasonL

JasonL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow some scary stuff. I've had a few times on motorcycle trips that were close calls. I had a deer run out in front of me in Canada I locked up the brakes and slide the back end some. I could have easily touched it as I went by. I have also had elk run out in front of me in the dark. Oh and a big truck tire in the road in the dark....(I don't like riding at night anymore)
    The scariest other than the closeness of the deer was a Grizzly bear who crossed in front of me. I imagine hitting him would just have made him mad enough to come rip me up. So if I survived the crash I could look forward to being mauled too. Fortunately I had just enough time to slow and let him cross.

Many times in cars and trucks were close calls. I had a time a trucker decided to take the ramp we were passing he was in the left lane and I was in the right... First time I have ever locked the tires at 70 mph. Somehow I managed to avoid eating the back end of that truck by changing lanes. All that in a 94 jeep wrangler...not the best at high speed maneuvers...In the same Jeep I was traveling down Town hill Snow was deep. It was one lane up the one side. Eventually the truckers decided it needed to be 2 lanes...probably 2 feet of snow on the sides. I tried to give them as much space as I could. My tires sucked me into the snow on the side. Now I had a trucker right behind me. I corrected and after what seemed like several minutes my front end came out of the snow and headed toward the semi that was in the passing lane. I'm somehow got it straightened up and back in my lane... I had a CB and the trucker behind me and I had been talking Well after a couple minutes of silence he came on the radio and asked me if I needed to change my shorts...he said he did. He told me he knew I was dead because there was no way for him to stop. or the one trucker that was passing... Very thankful that I was looked out for that day.

I'm sure there a few more times I have almost died. Probably more than I know. God has been good to me.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've driven cross country on I70 like 7-8 times. I've also driven through approximately 8-10 blizzards. Yup, multiple blizzards on the same trips.

I forgot this NDE: I was driving in Puerto Rico.

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First cross country road trip at 16 and somehow ended up in Mexico. Came around a blind corner at 60 and met a police car on my side of the road. The ultimate Mexican standoff. He won and I hit the ditch.

As to driving with crazy people, foreign countries are bad but I still haven't seen the insanity that there seems to always be in Boston.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only one incident really comes to mind. I was probably 6 or 7 and we were on vacation in Canada. We were at a place where you can watch the bears fish around some falls. You had to cross a single log bridge to get to where you could view the falls. We had been there a while and I guess I was ready to go, so I took off and started across the log. There was a hand rail, but it was very high and I guess I couldn't reach it. Dad hollered at me to stop and I turned around and slipped off the log and fell into a fast moving glacial river. Dad jumped in after me and saved my life that day for sure.

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, see...perfect example of a NDE, I may have been on the same road as you and didn't even know it. The highway is full of crazy people. :lol:

20. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Out one night in Dallas with two of my brothers stayed out all night. It felt like we saw car wrecks with fatalites every 15 minutes. The night ended with us going to eat and right next to us there was a wreck in which 2 people died. Saw in the paper that day that it was worse night in Dallas history for wrecks where people died. Also once during summer storm when I was about 14 was rideing the waves in a creek and hit my head on log went under brother said I was under for allmost a minute not sure how long it really was but came up. All I remember was hitting the log. These are just a few that come to mind. My brother says the guardean angels are wore out from saving us over the years. Have too many to tell.