You do have a say....

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Feb 28, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So the DEC put out an Oak wilt update. They think they have it under control. I'm sorry I won't hold my breath on that. Why because they never clearly addressed the issue with town highway departments.
    I say this because having 200 red oak and this being just over the hill from us I have been very careful. Thinning in winter around the oak flats to avoid wind damage. Never trimming before a heavy snow and sustained cold. Though I started noticing the town grinding the hell out of everyones road frontage. Now the town had to replace several of my pine because of this disease spreading monstrosity. 6ft replacements. Because no one every says HEY! You have 30ft from the center of the road to either side. NOT 30 ft from the culvert. This year I got a call he's headed your way. I had to literally stand in front of the tractor waving my arms to get him to stop before our line. We had a little chat. He either had no idea about the oak wilt or was playing dumb. When I got done he knew about a lot of things. Then he said if I keep it on the ground only are we good? I said as long as you stay in the culvert. I'll clear anything else at the proper time before plow season.

I tell you this because one of the first things he said to me is you've got to be the only one that knows this. I said perhaps so, you've certainly been pushing if with a lot of land owners. Your boss didn't like having to measure then go buy those trees. I'm pretty sure he'd like a bill for 200 mature timber oak a lot less.
    So remember you have property rights,regardless of what they try to sell you.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    are you in WI?
    my buddy's property is being slowly throttled by it. We select cut all the reds a couple years back and do our best with chainsaws since; but I'd say w/in 5 years there won't be an oak left alive on his 40.

good background info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_wilt

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    No NY. This is why I'm so careful. Most of my Oak are clustered. They'd come in and have to remove most of them if even one was infected. They found the ones East of us by doing arial fly overs. Trenching wouldn't work.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I live in an area that is ground zero for oak wilt, I have been lucky have not lost many trees in the last couple of years,

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ash borers and oak wilt. Helluva 1-2 punch. I'm too young (don't get to say that much anymore) to remember the height of dutch elm disease but between the 3 of those the 3 top hardwoods in the northern Midwest got wiped out in less than 50 years.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So our son popped over last night, his Birthday is the day after mine. 33yrs old our youngest. Man time flies by.
    Any how 2 mins after he leaves I get a call, " mah the chopper is headed your way and what a mess he made out of the road up here. He chewed up everything way back in! " I almost feel sorry for the guy anytime he even gets close to us I manage to get a phone call..lol
    I stepped out and walked down the drive way ,he picked up the cutter and drove by, I just waved hi....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Dang if the guy didn't return and grind up every one of the choke cberry bushes at the end of my drive! Soooo, yes I called his boss. I was very nice about it and pointed out I was getting tired of having to go out and stand in front of the tractor to stop them. That per DEC ,no trimming of any oak is to take place out side of Nov. To March because of oak wilt. I'm not about to lose 200 oak. I also mentioned I didn't know why he'd be here doing this since the last time was Sept and nothing grows during the winter. He said I'll be right up. Dang he was there talking to him by the time I got to the mail box to get mail. Then came up and chatted for 40 mins. Found out they'll be here to tear up the road and dig out culverts this spring. Well it needs it so. I said ya know I don't care what you do to other peoples property,none of them know the laws but I do. He just smiled and said I know. So much for choke cherry jelly this year.