Yeti commits suicide

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by dnoodles, Apr 23, 2018.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure Yeti will be fine.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Still not buying a Yeti.

4. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Artic is probably about to get a big boost I image.

5. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this was a bad move for Yeti although I’m certain they will be fine.

I’m a big fan of Yeti products and have a lot of them, it won’t stop me buying them but I can see why it would for some people.

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    YETI is getting slammed for no reason, they are not against the NRA or the 2nd amendment. They simply changed the way they run business because everyone and their mother has started a company revolving around their product and they can no longer make money while supporting hundreds of colleges and outdoorsmen. Why do we as a society get so worked up over a cup and cooler company?

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Underarmour stock down to $16 a share, they will never recover from their blunder, though I tend to think their path to market is the problem.

8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, they're not goin anywhere. Personally could care less, I listen to any companies political view, if that's what this is, about as much as I do celebrities. Majority of ppl complaining never bought anything from them anyway.

Have alot of their products and will continue to have them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I feel this yeti scenario is 100% different than the UnderArmour fiasco.

The UnderArmour situation was them directly caving to the pressure of anti hunters based on a specific scenario that went down with the husband of one of their sponsored "athletes".

The Yeti scenario is very different in my opinion after hearing both sides. They cut a program that failed to show a return on their marketing investment. NRA was one of many companies involved in that charity/discount program. Yeti never had a formal relationship with the NRA, they were simply included in a program that allowed certain organizations to buy discounted gear to raise funds. But the investment wasn't providing any return. So they cut it like any other organization needs to when running a P&L and is forced to make tough decisions so they can keep afloat.

I'm a NRA member and have previously supported them in every scenario I've ever seen them involved in. But this one really is frustrating. We need the NRA, they are the only organization large enough to support us for 2nd amendment rights, but what they have done here is borderline extortion. The way I perceive this is that any company that was providing any type of support or discount to NRA members, cannot choose to withdraw from that even they can't afford to continue, simply because the NRA will turn on them and position it as if they are anti 2nd amendment? NRA knew how this would be perceived when they wrote that letter and what the reaction would be, and it's shameful in my opinion to do that to a company that has and continues to be invested so much in sportsmen and the outdoors.

Just MHO.

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its the small battles that determine a victory. Our crazy ass society did not happen over night. Its been years of losing battles not unlike this one that has brought us to this point

11. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they just caved and made a bad decision. One more reason not to buy their overpriced crap. I don't buy that damage control story either.

12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sota can I buy you a Yeti cooler with a Peace sticker on it?

13. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is the very definition of being a "snowflake", FYI

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. UA said they supported hunters and then didn't with the Bowmar thing. Yeti, for whatever reason, has decided to not do business with the NRA but the article posted answers absolutely nothing. The NRA will probably say what they can to make themselves look like the good guys and so will Yeti. Regardless of who Yeti does business with, I probably won't buy their products unless I can get something on a smoking sale. I'm not a cheap skate when it comes to hunting equipment if I feel the price is worth it but I think there are comparable coolers out there for less.

15. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So since Yeti decided to drop a promotion program with the NRA everyone screams they are against the second amendment? Why don't people see both sides of the story anymore? An article comes out without the complete story and people jump on a witchhunt to bring down Yeti? I'm not a fan of their over priced products but come on. Use some critical thinking.

trial153, cantexian, picman and 3 others like this.
  16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^This^^^^

cantexian and LittleChief like this.
  17. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! We agree on something. :tu:

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly.

Keep in mind this wasn't a promotional program with the NRA specifically - it was with lots of companies. When the program was cut the ability for the NRA to purchase product at a discounted rate and then either sell, auction or give it away at events to raise money was lost. It wasn't a direct response to any outside pressure or any stance on 2A by Yeti.

IMO Yeti is one of the most vocal and outspoken non-hunting brands in the support of pro-hunting and pro-outdoors organizations like NWTF, RMEF, Pheasants Forever, and so on down the line. They've done more for hunting and the outdoors (which includes shooting) than many companies that produce actual hunting products. For hunters and outdoorsmen to turn their backs on them this quickly with only having half the story is pretty disappointing.

The world is a scary place with these virtual lynch mobs that get whipped into a frenzy over what amounts to some "fake news". The older I get the more I wish social media as a whole would just go away. IMO it's doing more harm than good for the human race these days.

Finally, I'd like to say the NRA's actions in this entire situation are pretty crappy. Releasing that news on a Sunday when they know nobody will be around to respond in a timely manner was lame. They're basically becoming extortionists - saying you deal with us or we're going to get our members to boycott you. Even if it's not for a valid reason.

19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Amen!!!!!

20. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be curious if Yeti is going to file a lawsuit towards the NRA. Obviously all this could have been prevented had the NRA not released a statement. It's a shame.