YES!!! so who's afraid of...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wolvenkinde, Sep 28, 2013.

1. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ..the big bad wolf - well he better be looking out for me come November :biggun:
    [​IMG]

2. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Good luck!

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish we had wolf around here. would be a nice kill

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and would love to see some pictures

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, fun critter to hunt!

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

8. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    $100 for a resident wolf tag? Wow! Wait till they start killing stuff, those prices will drop big time.

Hope you get a crack at one.

Sent from my soup can and string

9. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree to disagree. Agree with first part, disagree with second part.

10. Wolverine67

Wolverine67 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Disagree with the first part, agree with the second......

11. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your backwards my friend, believe me. If you'd like, maybe we can arrange for you to take all of our wolves?

12. dlsguide

dlsguide Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't it amazing that the people who love wolves and don't want them hunted or killed, don't have to live with them. Ignorance is bless. Good luck on filling your wolve tag!

13. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I do not dislike wolves. I do dislike all the misinformation that goes on - from both sides. There definitely should be controls on the populations....and these should be determined locally. I know that we have a high density of wolves here in the western UP and that they are not afraid of humans(except when they are in their first year when they show an instinctive fear). I do think they have their place but not at the numbers that they currently have here. The myth that they only kill what they eat is absurd, since I know that a pack of 11 does not eat 5-7 deer that are killed per day per day on a winter logging job in the deer yards. The statement that they avoid humans and are minimal threat to pets and livestock is also a myth as the situation stands with them not having a natural fear of us. They do come into the populated areas because that is where there is an abundance of prey. There are not near as many wolves out in the 'wilderness' as there is near the towns. The deer populations out in the big woods have taken a big hit since the wolves got here and now that the deer hang out in town the wolves have followed. I enjoy seeing them out in the woods actually but not here on my driveway so much. I am not going to shoot this wolf for a trophy - it will simply be skinned out and the pelt sold to a fur buyer. The quota of 16 wolves in our unit isn't even going to make a dent in the population here since I know of 6-7 larger packs(8-12 individuals -there are also some singles and small packs of 2-4) whose territory is wholly contained within the unit and then you can add the surrounding packs that partially inhabit the unit and surrounding areas - including on the Wisconsin side of the border. The area I plan to hunt has a pack that had 7 wolves this winter(DNR claims 5 - they may have eliminated 2 of them though) and now has at least 2 new pups...there is also a pack of 3(don't know if they had pups) and a loner. The facts are that the DNR and F&WS take out up to a dozen wolves here in Gogebic and Ontonogon counties already every year. The livestock owners that have permits take a few every year as well. Then there are individuals out there that are shooting wolves illegally...no idea on how many but I would guess it is significant(I heard of 4 in Gogebic and 3 in Ontonagon just last year). The population is still growing and expanding the range after all the legal and illegal harvest. I have been in close proximity with wolves while working(forestry) since 1991 in the Chequamegon Nat'l Forest...and had them investigate us while working, circle me as I was gutting deer, released and helped release a few from traps(yes I have touched a live one) and never been seriously threatened by them. However I don't think it is prudent to allow them to become so habituated to us(as they are), that they end up threatening us. I picked up a motorist(ice fisherman) that was stranded out in northern Wisconsin and had been flanked by a pair of wolves for 5 miles of walking...I also know of a Forest service timber sale manager that was tree'd by a pack in the eastern U.P. With the number of wolves going up and the amount of prey going down, it is only a matter of time that conflicts become more prevalent and end up worse if we don't manage the wolves - it's that simple. I agree with the guys that say that most the wolf lovers really only love them when they can go somewhere to see the wolves and not when they are in their back yard chasing or chewing on the cat or dog. I would happily volunteer to help trap wolves for transport to PA(and we do have plenty to spare) or anywhere else...so talk to your Fish and Game officials and let's see if it can happen. There are reasons that PA Fish and Game hasn't already got wolves transplanted there btw(I am sure), and it's not because they can't get any nor would it be overly costly(until the losses in revenue from deer hunting etc come into the equation). Anyway I do plan to hunt wolves instead of deer for the beginning of the MI firearm season and I do think I have a better than average chance of getting one(btw one was in my neighbors front yard 1/4 mile from here, while she was sitting on the porch last week). It will be a fun challenge, though I have called them in before while yote hunting and they are easier to get into range than the yotes, fox, or cats - as long as they are in the vicinity.
    the latest 2 pics
    aug 6(batts died one week after this so missed whole month of Sept)
    [​IMG]
    Sept 25(last check-this is about 80-90 yards from camp)
    [​IMG]

14. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish you the best of luck.