Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Yardage

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Modeerhunter, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Barnett Whitetail Hunter shoots 340fps with a 400 grain bolt what should be my max yardage for hunting deer

Sent from my SM-G870W using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how accurate you are. Personally I wouldn't shoot past 40

Cablebob and Modeerhunter like this.
  3. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    40 yards

Modeerhunter likes this.
  4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow Weight: 400 grains / Arrow Speed: 340 fps

Kinetic Energy: 102.66 FOOT-POUNDS

You have enough kinetic energy left at 70 yards to take down a deer. So if your question is what is my bow capable of? then the answer is killing a deer at 70 yards.

HOWEVER, I would NEVER suggest a shot of that distance on anything but a target. YOU are the main factor here, not your rig or the ability of your arrow to hold KE.

You should practice at 40 or even 50 yards and keep your shots in the woods under 35. Good luck!

Modeerhunter likes this.
  5. ArcherDane

ArcherDane Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMO the main limiting factor concerning range and a crossbow is the noise that they make when you shoot. Crossbows are loud compared to compounds and distance only adds to that problem. Yes crossbows are fast, but not faster than a Deer's reaction time on a far shot. My dad owns a $1600 TenPoint cross bow and he won't shoot past 40 yards and even that is probably risky. It's up to the hunter's descretion though. Lots of factors go into bowhunting. Best of luck this year!

Bowtech Rpm 360 - 71 lbs 29 inch draw, Gold tip velocity xt arrows, HHA Optimizer, Rip cord rest.

Modeerhunter likes this.
  6. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's not the xbow... It's you that's the limiting factor. How far can you put 3 bolts in a 4 inch circle? Shooting off a rest or freehand? Ground or elevated. But most important is how deaf are the deer where you hunt?
    Like stated xbows are LOUD so the sound will be at the deer about 3 times faster than the bolt. Longer distance gives more reaction time. I try to stay inside of 40 yards. I practice out to 60 yards often andy every bolt and broadhead for hunting is shot at that range for flight check.
    If your FOC or spine is out it will really show up past 40 yards. My Barnett is about the same as yours and my bolts are in the 450 gr range.

Modeerhunter likes this.
  7. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is more that goes into shooting long distance then just equipment and archer ability. Unlike a foam target that doesn't react to anything, game animals are fidgety, alert and if they get a nose full of your scent can be ready to explode at a moments notice. The softest of sound can send them packing. What appears to be a calm animal can swap ends during air time and make your slam dunk into a tracking night mare. I have never attempted a shot at a live animal over 40 yards because of this reason alone. I practice long distance all year long with every kind of archery equipment. Knowing your limitations is paramount to being a good hunter unfortunately, knowing the animals next move is out of our control.

Modeerhunter likes this.
  8. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot a parker enforcer, it has a 160 lbs draw weight(not sure about fps) but I can shoot out to 70 yrds and put 4 in the 10 ring..

Modeerhunter likes this.
  9. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100% with Cablebob on this one.

Modeerhunter likes this.
  10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: