XXX Team 11 - Official Thread XXX

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by gltomp, Mar 17, 2014.

1. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Heckler. Nice to hear about hunting adventures when I look out the window and look at 12" of snow yet, give me hope spring will come!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the blind. Just waiting for daylight and the first gobble! Rain has moved on out!

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing much this morning?

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There was a dead spot right after fly down. Now they are gobbling like crazy. I am on a fence line. Hope I can get them to cross from the private side. Another gobble! They are close!

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm rooting for you! Hopefully you've shot one by now.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got a look at them. A boat load of hens and half a dozen toms. Never did get them to commit. I had one lonely jake cruise through the deeks about an hour ago.

7. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just reading your posts... can't wait to start here. Best of luck Heck!

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahahah! Ever feel like its training day all over again?

Birds were vocal most of the morning. I love cool and overcast days! Just before noon I was battling it out with a boss hen on my right. I thought this is it! So I make some adjustments and get ready. I button up the front of the blind to be sure they wouldn't see me leaving just a hole over the decoys. It was really muggy so I opened a window on the back side. 10 minutes later I hear some ruckus. Look over my shoulder behind me and there stands 3 toms no more then 3 yards from me! Wouldn't you know it they busted me. They popped out on my side of the fence about 40 yards from me. They didn't want any part of my spread after that.....

Wish I could have stayed all day into the evening hours. I know it would have eventually happened! Dang getting older having other commitments sucks. :p I will be sure to hit that spot again. Just going to setup a little different next time!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh well... that's hunting. Better luck next time Heck.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So next up is my boy on our land Saturday morning. I will pack my bow in just in case we can pull off a double. It would be icing on the cake if we could get that done. Sunday we are headed about an hour north for all day hunt. I want to get some time in on some properties I would like to deer hunt this fall.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slow morning. Seen two birds so far. View from the blind.

[​IMG]

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trevor!!!! Alissa Kay whack him on the back of his head and get his attention! I am looking for a new tripod to film hunts from the blind. I am looking for one that is of good quality, compact, light weight, and a small foot print. Someone said you had recommended a Manfrotto monopod for filming turkey hunts. I am using a pro-consumer Canon and self film. It appear the monopod is free standing??? Is it stable enough for self filming or would you recommend an alternate? I need something that doesn't take up so much space!

13. Alissa Kay

Alissa Kay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Heckler I told him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry Heckler. So busy getting a bunch of stuff done before our turkey seasons open up. There are a ton of options out there for sure. What kind of camera are you running? I have always had spent my time looking for bargains and when I purchased the bargin...I was never fully happy with it. I just recently bought the new Manfrotto 755xbk with the MCH500AH fluid head. It has independed legs that can adjust to any terrain, it has a shorter stem for tricky blind situations where you can still raise it up or down if you need, but the big thing I really wanted this time for quick setups was a bowl head for getting the camera head level quickly without messing with individual legs. This tripod has everything I was looking for without a super expensive price tag, but is still pricy for a beginner. Manfrotto MVH500AH 755XBK Lightweight Fluid Video Tripod System with MDeVe Aluminum Legs, MVH500AH,755XBK | Full Compass

You may not want to spend that much but with my DSLR body and lens, or the AX2000 camcorder, this is the right setup for me. There is also another cheaper option but carries a little more bulk because of the double tube legs but still offers the same head and bowl piece of quick leveling without messing with the legs in the blind. This one however doesn't have have a stem to raise if for some reason you need to. I dont very often but in my hilly property, it can be nice when blind hunting.
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/446976.html

If you are interested in ordering give them a call and ask for Phil Smithburg. Let him know I sent you. Great guy and has helped me a ton with product info.

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a bargain shopper. I usually buy higher end stuff as I have a tendency to keep stuff forever. I am still using a Canon HFS100 for my main rig. I am well over due for a new one. I will continue to use the HFS100 for second angles, etc.... I am not sure if I am going to go with a traditional camcorder again or switch to a DSLR. I am eyeballing the new Canon XF200 & XF205.

Does the tripod you are recommending have multiple stern leg angle positions or are you stuck with it fully expanded? I appreciate your feedback. There really isn't anywhere locally where I can actually look at this stuff before I buy it. Makes it real difficult to make a good selection.

Thanks for the contact as well. I may give Phil a call!

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well back at it at o'dark thirty in the morning. Tomorrow is the last day before shotgun season. I have yet to have a jake or tom in the decoys. Called in 4 groups at 2 different spots Sunday for a total of 16 birds. All hens, not a jake or tom in toe.... Might just be the most bizarre day hunting ever. Going to a spot I haven't hunted in a couple years. There were a pile of toms back in there last time I was there. Just odd. May have to visit a feeder. Crappie will be spawning before long. I must get this done. lol!

I am enjoying the new avian-x decoys for 2014. They are awesome. Here is a pic from yesterday. Can you spot the real bird? :)

IMG_4706.jpg

17. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Heckler,
    One of those tripods, the more expensive one, the legs are independent and also extend up and down more than enough. The drawback of that cheaper one to me is the minimum hight because of the center support. It doesn't look like it is removable but would be more than enough for the cameras you are looking to get. You are from KS correct? I am hopeful to be hosting a video and photo school mid July at Kansas Whitetail Adventures. Cost will be around $400 give or take and will be a two day. Food and Lodging will be also included. With that we hope to bring gear from Full Compass down to see first hand, including some different camcorders and dslrs. All those details are being ironed out along with the exact dates. We do have deals on some of the gear we are talking about in the class for those who attend which is a great perk along with give aways from some of my supporters. Will post more this month once everything gets ironed out. Good Luck turkey hunting. I take a 10 year old saturday morning!

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting on the edge of a lushes green winter weat field. The sun is coming up and they are gobbling. Not sayn anything else in fear I will jinx myself!

19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Heckler. I'm getting ready for the youth season this weekend. The way it looks, the kids should slam some birds.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Called in a double. One down. Trying to kill the other one now. !!!!!