Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Xbow... Why do you care?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Aug 12, 2009.

1. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WOW---- SNAP----- My kid just told me to say that. My guess is it mean's BURN!!!

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My uneducated soapbox, really? I never said that you were "wrong in your beliefs" or that you weren't entitled to your opinion, all I stated was that the reason you don't want crossbows is so that it doesn't infringe on YOUR benefit. It's okay, you can admit it.

If you deny that, then what exactly is your motive for for having an issue with crossbows during archery season? I said nothing about setting up any type of regs. If your argument as to "why" you don't like crossbows during archery season is because it's bad for the deer heard, then please feel free to justify "why". If your argument is because the IAB doesn't like it, please justify "why".

I don't think I've seen anyone on here state that they WANTED crossbows for general archery deer hunting, but many stated it didn't bother them. Again, the question posed in the first post was "why" do you care... again the reason YOU care is because you don't want anyone to interfere with your bowhunting. Help me understand how that's wrong.

3. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say let them shoot what they want it doesn't effect me in the least, I would rather see Michigan let x-bows which they did and now with baiting banned if we could just get the 2 week gun season changed to 3 or 4 three day hunts for the gunners and moved out of the rut we would start rocking up here in Michigan..

4. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice family pic there Germ...how big of dreamer are you since you are dreaming... here is my family; plus I am a Grandpa as of last year. 5 healthy, successful children(yes, I have a vasectomy now, thanks for caring). Oldest daughter is a RN, 2nd oldest is in her 3rd year of college studying journalism in London, 3rd daughter just graduated from HS and is going to attend college in Califonia this year, and two boys still at home and living with Mom in CA. We have a great relationship and are very close. My girlfriend is sweet, fun, is a blast to be around, successful as an artist, and yes,is younger than my two oldest daughters, and has a beautiful daughter that loves me. Why you feel the need to belittle people, I have no idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My girlfriend
    [​IMG]
    Her daughter
    Plus my woman can sure paint a canoe

[​IMG]

5. Hardcorehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I care because I am a lemming and my IA Bowhunters Assiciation doesn't want them and the IA DNR doesn't either. I have no opinion, have the inabilty to form decisions, and just do what I am told to do, instead of bucking the system. I am a pacifist and I just hate controversy.

6. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It never fails. Everytime I click on a post that says Don Hardcore, it makes me want to blow my head off.

7. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really agree with what RJ said much earlier in this thread, It's not the weapon, it's the type of people that it will add to PA's woods. It's a fact, I know them. When it was passed they ran out bought their new toys. Again, it's not the weapon. I wish it didn't, but it rubs me wrong seeing a father with a 12 year old in Gander Mountain the night before gun season, buying his "deer corn" and salt lick. (baiting is illegal) It's not the weapon, last year I got flamed on HNI for venting about a guy buying a "package compound bow" the night before the season and thinking he was good to go.

The bottom part of RJ's post scares the crap out of me if that is even remotely a possibilty. I love hunting in November.

Dubs, your post on pg 3 struck me too. You aren't the extra person in the woods. I don't think anyone was or could say that you were. If you got a bum shoulder and got the permit, get out there, I will help you drag. It's 50 year old guy who never even thought about being a bowhunter until he could pick up an XBow and now in a few weeks will be extra person in the woods, that hasn't a clue about arrow flight, waiting for good shot angle, or effective range. I get just about as worked up over the "slob" compound bowhunters, some of which I do share the woods with.

I am sorry Buckeye, I don't think I've answered your question yet. I guess I guess the short answer is because I don't think it's adding to the overall quality of bowhunter that is afield in the fall. Interesting question: Would the overall quality of bowhunter go up if were where working in reverse? Meaning, Trad being the only bow we could hunt with. Sure it would cut numbers instead of grow them, but wouldn't the overall quality of the bowhunter go up?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  8. Hardcorehunter

Dislikes Received:
    If only you could, you voted to have all of the guns in America made illegal cause you hate the NRA and the gun toting people of the world.

9. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The crossbow season just kind of appeared in GA. We still have alot of deer and no reports of millions of deer running around with bolts hanging from them. My uncle (bought my first bow and taught me how to shoot) now shoots an excaliber crossbow...2 shoulder surgeries and he still tries to shoot a vertical bow every other year or so, but he just can't. I am 30 and would loose my hunting partner if he could not use one. The only difference is the fact that we hunt a metro bow only county, 8 years ago i could knock on any door and hunt, now there are no parcels left. I am jeoulous of the fact land is harder to come by, but not becasue of the weapon or anything else. Only my greed to want it all, but I would never trade an easy lease or good land for the joy of hunting with my uncle. I understand the number of hunters for a state like PA, but you only get so many tags in some areas. Lets take GA for example, we get 2 buck tags, one any size and (1) 4pts or better, and 10 does tags. It does not matter how they die, you get 12 no matter what.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    On one side, ;)

11. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that is very true...should put our herd right up ther with them mid west boys real soon. :D Less than a month away, you ready?

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I'm sure it will. :rolleyes:

I'm VERY ready. Driving my wife crazy talking about it. :D

13. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Don, it's nice to have the family all in our house here in Michigan. I am going to take gramps x-bow and whack a doe just for you.

14. Hardcorehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...do what you want in MI bro...I don't reside or vote there.

15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will name her, Double D "Don Doe", I planned on it anyways, going to take Zach on the blind with me. Should be a hoot:)