Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Xbow... Why do you care?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I may hunt for selfish reason's (which is the reason we do things we enjoy). I'm never going to try to keep someone from enjoying hunting because of my selfishness about MY (public) deer or MY (public) land... that's complete and utter BS. Ya feel me?

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After reading this... I still don't understand why "you" care what someone else does..... :confused:

3. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...Wonder why the Iowa Bowhunters Association and I are wrong with our beliefs. I will send them an email and tell them you are the man when it comes to setting up regs. Bowhunting growth is just fine here, get off of your uneducated soapbox with me dude. Justin doesn't like it when you make personal attacks on me by calling me selfish.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    100%

[​IMG]

5. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You got that right brother!!!!!!

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    8 pages and we still haven't figured it out! :eek: Maybe 8 more we'll get to the bottom of this...:D

7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    for the guys that share private land....say you you already share some land with 3 other guys, you are the only one that bow hunts, until Xbows are legal and then all 4 of yall are hunting during bow season, you no longer have it to yourself....be honest, would it bother you? If not, you are a very unselfish and quite the gentleman. I respect that...Me, it would bother me to have more hunters in my woods...Im honest, hell i don't want a buch compound/trad guys in my woods, it's logic, the less peeps I have in the same woods the better my chances of killing a good buck, you can't argue with that...that's why i don't hunt public land. Im just being honest. but it doesn't matter the weapon, more hunters means the less chance I have ....so what.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The accomplishment is greater when you shoot big bucks that way... I have ZERO exclusive lands to hunt on. Would I like ther eto be less guys there? Sure... But it is what it is and I deal with it.

Besides it will make "you" a better hunter if you want to get on good deer in pressured areas.

9. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So buy some land.

10. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont care what anybody does as long as its Legal.

11. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't really bother me. We went from 4 bowhunters on 2200 acres to 8 bowhunters on 2200 acres. I can live with that. Did you notice the inclusive way I called us all bowhunters? Not 4 bowhunters and 4 X-bowhunters? Did ya see that? It wasn't hard to do at all!

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  13. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, I take it you haven't had the pleasure of watching a pile of deer running balls out past where you are set up and just when you are wondering what just happened you see a bunch of guys (with crossbows) appear pushing the bedding area you were hoping a good buck was going to come from on private land in archery season. That has happened to me personally, three times. Friends of mine a lot more. In fact, I don't really hunt one of the few pieces of private land I have anymore for that reason.

Like I said it hasn't really affected my hunting that much. I still have had success and good seasons, but I think a little education might help some of these guys to maybe hunt a little differently.

In fact didn't you have someone vandalizing one of your stands a while back. Did "you" care then what someone else was doing?

14. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, ever notice I make no reply to you., as you don't interest me, nor do I learn anything about bow hunting from you. Ever thought about trying the same.?...I'm just sayin

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    don't need to buy land I have plenty of land to hunt and I can even share it because I have so much...buttonbuckmaster, most people don't have access to the amount of land that I do, Im not bragging, Im stating facts, and it doesn't bother me if a guy xbow hunts in my area as much because I have lots of land about 8500 acs to be exact. but if I only had 300 acs and I shared it with 4 or 5 guys that wanted to xbow hunt, it would make me uncomfortable...I like my chances better without em, who wouldn't? call me selfish, i don't care, Im not here nor do I hunt for someone elses pleasure...I like to put the odds in my favor...and I agree, hunting pressured land makes one a better hunter, no arguement from me. I will likely have guys xbow hunting in my areas this yr because I got into 7000 acs club and I will share it, but when you talk about that much land, I will likely never see em..

16. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    LSBA, Lone Star Bowhunters Association was also against allowing X-bows in archery season. It was more of a move to prevent archery season from becoming "primitive" season, allowing x-bows and muzzleloaders. They think that is the next step, and then just having one general season and doing away with "special interest hunting".
    LSBA also opposed the move because it was pushed by x-bow manufacturers not the hunting public.

17. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the 4 guys with crossbows act like bowhunters then it would be easy to call them bowhunters. I'm not saying there are hard and fast rules on what defines a bowhunter, but there are certain things that if anyone did with an arrow shooting weapon we would be critical of no matter what. I believe that crossbow hunters should be held to the same ethical standards and expectations as any bowhunter (within reason). If they do not they don't belong hunting in archery season any more than a compound or traditional hunter that doesn't meet those standards.

18. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care if somebody/anybody shoots x-bows... until it directly interfers with my hunting. I don't care about them spending time in the field or them shooting "my buck".... what I care about is when some dude on the property bordering mine hasn't taken the time to learn the limitations of his x-bow and he is out chuckin' arrows at anything that moves. Yes, this could happen with any weapon, but most x-bow users would be guys who rifle hunted and never had the time/skill/patience to pick up a bow (compound/long/recurve)....and one thing I have learned after 14 years of hunting in PA is..... the majority of our rifle hunters are un-ethical slobs who ONLY care about killing an animal, not worrying about the 10 deer that they have wounded before finally closing the deal.

Scott, I know you hunt public land in PA, but have you ever took a bow out on public land in PA during the rifle season?

19. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    Check what I wrote on page 3 of this thread.

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much stay clear of most all gun seasons.