Wow, that was bad.

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by MGH_PA, Jan 28, 2009.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I received my Vegas targets today, so I thought I would try my hand at a practice round. I've never shot spots before, and I was a bit intimidated once I got the target face up on my bag. At 20yds, you can barely make out the X-ring...I thought, "oh this will be great.":huh: This is only the third time I've had the bow out since the first of the year, and well, it showed...but maybe I just suck. First, I had to shovel my way to the target and wait for the sleet to go away (although it started back up toward the end of my shooting). Anyways, I practiced quite a bit before I put the target face up, and I think I may have done too much practice (I was a bit tired once I got to my 5th end or so). Long story short, shot a 287/8X:lol: Proceeded to shoot 5 more ends to see my 45 arrow score...not much better...431/12x.

I only shot two perfect ends, and had a few cleared 9s:bash: So, if you guys are in the indoor league, go easy on me. I'm not going to give up, and I think I can bring my score into the mid 290s eventually (I just had too many bad ends), but my X count really needs to go up.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it was a 3 spot face, so 30/3X:d I'm not sure if I could pull off a perfect end on 5 spot.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure you'll be handing it to me in this league... my expectations aren't very high for my scores. I'll be curious to see how my first practice round goes. I haven't received my targets yet, but I was able to work a kink out of my grip today. I apparently was a little tense in the wrist and torquing the crap out of my bow. But its all good now, or as good as it gets anyway.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt - my first ever scored vegas game was a 426 and I don't remember the X's. Your starting out better than I did. And I did mine on a perfectly level and heated indoor range. That was only 4 years ago. Keep at it, that's a great score for a first time around.

Remember, if you fill your head with expectations and thoughts about the outcome, there won't be any room in there (between your ears) to think about what it takes to get you there. Focus on the process of what it takes to shoot a 10. Then do it again. It's really that easy. :deer:

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just picture little Don Eimes, Dustin Decroos and Dave Bols on my target face... Works for me :cool:

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be happy to break 200. I just have no ability to concentrate on spots. Scales maybe, but not spots.

Maybe I'll need to tack some goldfish on the target to improve my concentration.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, it's amazing how mental this game is (exactly spot on with your comment Jeff). Although I've never played golf, I'm sure it's just as bad if not worse. I kept telling my self to not think about my last end or even my last shot and just concentrate on the next one, but it didn't always work. It's funny, too, how I never thought much of fatter shafts, but there were at least 3 arrows that would have cut the 10 or X ring had I been shooting something bigger than an ACC. In my opinion, though, I don't care, since I should have made the shot hit its mark from the beginning rather than relying on a thicker shaft to pick up the point for me.

After shooting that first round, I know I'm not a natural by any means, but I think if I practice, and work on focusing more on each shot, I can bring my score up.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To keep your mind occupied, write down your shot sequence and put it in several places where you can see it on a daily basis several times a day. When I was in this stage I put it on my monitor at work, on the dashboard of my car, and on a piece of tape on the back of my bows riser. Memorize it. When you start getting under pressure or out of your comfort zone of "self image", focus on the shot sequence and the steps that it takes to get to that 10.

When I'm shooting with some discipline and not just flinging arrows, before every shot I literally recite my shot sequence in my head, and then visualize what the perfect shot feels like and the arrow hitting the X.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what im talkin about :lol:

10. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scotty must have thought he would sneek this one past us since we don't frequent the target forum much. :evil:

:computer: :computer: :computer:

I hope your teeth eat those computers Scott. :cool:

11. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do my best work on the Dave Bol's spot :evil:

12. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    LOL Thanks for the humor during my 3rd shift at work.

Double M thanks for the tips even though I am not in this it is very
    good info.

T

13. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Scott, can I bring apples to the hog hunt and you can try and shoot them off my head at 20 yards? Just to see how good you really are, of course!!! :d

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, truth be told... I'm not all that good though... You are pretty much screwed :d

15. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have confidence you will be able to shoot if off Don's head.....we'll try it! :deer: :evil: :d

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I see how it is... over here where it'll take me a while to find it. I promise, I'll put you in a GREAT hog spot!!:beer:

17. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Vegas is a VERY intimidating face. To be honest, I haven't shot a complete Vegas round in months. I live in 5 spot country here.

As far as the mental game goes, once you get to a point, talent and skill wise, the rest is all mental. When it comes to shooting spots, my mental game needs work. That's what holds me back.

With 3d, my mental game is stronger. However, I'm the opposite of most, I ALWAYS know where I stand. You could ask me at any point during a 3d round and I can tell you where I stand. That's without looking at the cards, at all. I can't help it. Another thing I've gotten into, is logging my 3d rounds. Write down what each target is, what I judged it for, what it actually was, result, and if it was a good shot or not. That alone, helps tremendously with seeing what your tendencies are with each target type.

I'll admit to being primarily a 3D shooter, I'm not a huge fan of dots (yet). Can I shoot them? Yes, I shoot them fairly well. There just isn't as big of a following for them, here.