Would you take a shot on a Coyote that you would not take on deer? (Quality Wise)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jan 27, 2012.

1. hawkeye4485

hawkeye4485 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree with your reply anymore... Well said... Well said...

2. OKY

OKY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would assume that HD/Diesel Guy/Uncle Bark could answer all of the coyote questions out there. I find them just as intruiging as any game animal. Taking pot shots at them is one thing but hunting them is all together different.

3. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hawkeye4485
    Originally Posted by BOWSPEC
    So, if someone doesn't approach shooting a coyote with the level of emotion that you give it, then they don't have the right to hunt IYO? Thankfully they don't make legislative decisions based on that ideology. Or at least they shouldn't...IMO.

I don't think anyone here WANTS a coyote to suffer or doesn't care if a coyote they shoot suffers. I definitely would always try to make the best shot I can, it's just good practice, but I am definitely not attaching the same level of emotion to situation that you and some others are...everyone is different in that regard and I think that is what makes the biggest difference in opinion on this topic.
    Basically your saying that if the only shot you have is a gut shot, then your going to take an unethical(IMO) shot because that coyote might hunt down a deer that you would rather kill yourself and don't like the competition - and that's o.k.??? Means you show no respect for the natural world, and(IMO) shouldn't be allowed to hunt!

Then here's another thing to think about - you have a dog chasing deer around my property or just out there annoying me...your dog shouldn't be loose(IMO) in my hunting area and the only shot I have is.......

4. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Question...Would you all do the same for a wolf or a mt. lion??? We have those to deal with here and they take out deer - wolves take a LOT of deer. As someone else stated what about the bears? They take way more fawns than the yotes. Gut or @$$ shot if only available?

5. Uncle Bark

Uncle Bark Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say no on this one. I myself try my very best to make a good clean kill shot on any animal I shoot at.

6. Yote

Yote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a predator hunter,I'd jump all over the chance to actually call a wolf or lion.Already called one bear ( wasn't legal to shoot ).They deserve the same respect as deer,turkey,elk,or any other game we chase.Even the lowly coyote deserves respect and will like cockroaches,will probably be here long after were gone.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Comparing coyotes to wolves, mt lions or bears is apples to oranges, for two reasons.

1. Because of bone structure and animal size, its much harder to kill one of those three than a coyote and shot placement is much more critical.

2. You're from the UP. I say this because in a lot of areas coyotes are an extreme nuisance, vermin if you will. Take a trip to where Johnny and I hunt in Knox County IL and you'll hear and see them everywhere. In three years of hunting there, we haven't seen more than 2 fawns in one year. We get 20x as many coyote pics as we do fawn pics on the trail cameras. I honestly believe the deer herd could crash there in the next few years, because of the overpopulation of coyotes.

8. Locked&Loaded

Locked&Loaded Newb

Dislikes Received:
    But we gotta keep in mind that a coyote is in a hurry to eat everything we wanna eat...:)

9. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what I do right or wrong to get so many yotes in range.. I like to think it's beacause I sit so damn still in stand, only hunt particular winds, and am strict about my entrance above all else..

But who knows.. sooner or later.. they just find me.

10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You sure Justin ain't squirting your boots or your stand sites with yote lure when you aren't looking ?? :lol:

Tim

11. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't seen an armadillo in two years... the coyotes have completely wiped them out. I saw one raccoon this year. Normally I see dozens. I haven't seen a bobcat or a fox in several years either. It can't possihbly be a coincidence that everything else disappeared when the coyotes showed up. Any live coyote is one too many, and I don't really care how they die. IMO