Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you hunt where there are no (or VERY few) big bucks?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Aug 13, 2008.

1. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt the best available bucks to me regardless of the area or what size those best available bucks were.

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I lived in a state or area that offered no "big bucks" (unlikely to find such a place except in extreme circumstances) I would hunt what was available to me in all of my spare time.

However, I would travel on weekends and vacation time to areas where I could hunt what I target.

3. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live in an area and hunt in an area where not alot of really big bucks live (poor genetics). Most 4 yr. olds seem to only have about 120" of antler on their heads around me. Granted they are not as small as a 100".. but they are very few and far between even the ones that make it to that age class so I consider it a poor buck population around my neck of the woods.

However.. a great amount of land within a short drive of me does offer better than 150" whitetail. But in a small area.. north of Chicago where 15 million people live.. there's not alot of land left.. and usually only the wealthy own it.:cry:

I travel 1-5 hours away to hunt better deer.. areas where most 4 yr. olds break the 140" mark.

If I hunted a similiar area where most 4 yr. olds were about 100". I'd be happy. But I'd travel too... just like here at home.:d

4. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely without a doubt I would hunt. I care greatly about filling my freezer year in and out with elk, deer etc.. I purely just love to hunt, it just so happens with the hand I am dealt; that the old boys in my area challenge me the most as a hunter, and their headgear is often a derivative of their age. I am going on a doe only hunt this winter (Jan) and am so looking forward to that. Just to get to be in Montana with a good friend sharing some hunting time in a river bottom. Priceless.

I have had a couple friends from here make comments to me when we talk about swapping hunts ...they may say something like "well I dont know if you would be interested in hunting here, not sure if we have what you'd be looking for" I have to re-evaluate how I come across to folks, thinking....maybe I spend to much time discussing big bucks et..and I do not want to come across that way. Yes the old big boys really fire me up but its because of what they have been doing to me WELL before hunting TV came around or Internet.. Like Silver said when he was 4 years old, thats what happened to me at 8 years old with bull elk and 12 years old with a big old whitetail buck... I tell them, I would be coming to hunt your country and what it has to offer, not what I have here, any deer that made me happy in regards to the area would be very satisfying. I care more about getting to share good time with folks, making memories and seeing/experiencing new country.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why is so hard to understand that I would be perfectly happy hunting the "anomolies" if an area didn't consistently produce my target bucks?

6. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    Great answer Troy.

I feel the same way. My answer was just more ego.. since people tend to target Illinois as the mega buck capital of the world. Sometimes I feel the need to defend it's lesser attributes like the governor or the white sox.

I agree with you 100% and would like to add... My first reply was purely ego driven.

I'm sorry for that.:confused:

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, Mike, hahaha we must have a few things in common, we both married school teachers! :) I so wish I could have swung that Illinois trip with you guys this fall to hunt those lesser attributes :)! I look forward to the day when we get to spend some time in woods together, you and your partner Justin both! I envy Dan, there just was not enough time off for me with all of my other stuff planned. I am pulling for you guys out there, Good luck.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I travel 3-4 hours regularly to hunt. I have a camper that I tow along with me and park it for the weekend / week on various public hunting areas.

I have went as far into PA to McKean county right on the border with NY. I have hunted the Allegany National Forest in PA.... I get around when I can.

If I tag out early it will see even more miles.

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it does, not many get killed in my area but they are here no doubt. I do not travel to find better bucks, I travel to be able to hunt large public grounds. The property access in my area is very tight with small acreages and high hunter numbers. I like to be able to go anywhere I want, away from everyone else. I do not like being constricted.

10. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Um, I hunt PA woods. Nuff said. (winky)

But I'm on the road west this year. IL here me comes and I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. :deer:

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff please stay on topic, LOL winky winky

Rob it's tough, but that is what makes it fun!!!

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea what you are attempting to get at, but it seems rather pointless. Like I said earlier, I would hunt what I have available at home and travel on vacations and weekends if I lived in an area as described.

I have places to hunt at home, I don't need to go anywhere else. I choose to so I can get a little breathing room. Actually, the areas that I travel to hunt, I feel my odds at a "top end" buck decreases quite a bit. But I feel the trade off is worth it to get away from people.

13. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess I read the quetion wrong because I do hunt around home and that means where I know there are not 120-130 running all over, But I hunt here so I can hunt with my daughter and friends. But when I get serious about my hunting that is when i leave and head out of state which this year will be Oct-27 to Nov-20 in Illinois.. Walt

14. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    nm, same ol same ol

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buckeye - How far from home did that buck you were after get shot by the Drury team? How big was he?

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A little over 20 minutes. Around 203 unofficial inches.

17. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    It would have been fun for sure. Justin and I both were thrilled when we heard the both of you might join us. But there will be other years and I would love to hunt along side you one day as well.

As for your buddy Dan.. he's on a great little spot with us. I look forward to meeting him. Come on November!

18. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't complain with my area for decent bucks now. I have hunted other areas in the state that hold bigger bucks with better odds of tagging one before I moved here. I was content hunting my home ground though and never felt the need to travel. Much has changed in 20 years since I've been here with CRP and row crops. When I first got here a 100 inch buck was a big buck verses the 142" gross buck I shot plus other's ones I had seen that were even bigger in other areas. While I missed the bigger racked buck areas... I learned to apperciate what I had. I hunted the top end bucks for my area and am content with that. While I like talking score when describing a buck, I hunted with age in mind. 20 years ago a 2.5 year old buck was fairly rare and my goal. 10 years ago a 3.5 year old buck was fairly rare and my goal. Now 4.5 year old and better are my goal. As things get better or worse for that matter, I always look at what my area produces and hunt accordingly. I am content with that. If we get back to 100 inch bucks for top end so be it. I am going hunting.

Tim

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While not to the extent that Scott does, but I too travel farther away to hunt " lesser" bucks.(although it can easily be debated recently that the gap has SEVERELY closed) I have a spot 5 minutes from my house, that has a semi-realistic chance at a real bomber of a buck walking by. Not because I see them there, but just from the extreme limited access in the general area, they can get huge.
    If I tell people where I live & then tell them I choose to drive 40 minutes away to hunt because I feel I have a better chance at killing something, they would all think I am nuts, because my county has the big reputation of being a BIG BUCK producer. It's all a matter of perspective and quality of hutn for me, as opposed to the ultimate end goal.