Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

****....you got me.:lol:

2. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Amen brother.

3. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I might have to change my position, Atlasman might be on to something after all:confused:

[​IMG]

4. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    K, man it took me a while to read this! I'm not usually a fence straddler but I can see valid points on both sides and views. I haven't seen anyone elevate dogs to human status, just that they value them above some less than worthy humans. One person said that the lowest human is more important than the best dog. That is not all human's viewpoint but it is God's! He gave us dominion over all the animals. We as citizens of America have enacted laws pertaining to such animals and the young man in question broke no laws. I'm not saying he was right or wrong, just that he didn't break any laws and I'm not going to judge him for his actions because I wasn't there and I'm not his judge. We are all grown men for the most part and I'm thinkin we all made our mind up a long time ago about what we would do in said situation. I don't think anyone has had thier mind changed but maybe we all know each other a little better. However here's a point that I'm not defending or justifying. If a mountain lion kills a deer and along comes a coyote and challenges him, what is going to happen? Of course we are not animals, but we are predators when we are hunting, specially bowhunting. The guy was defending his deer after making a judgement about his ability to defend said deer. He made a decision and sent an arrow through the attacking predator that was trying to take his deer. Of course maybe the dog thought the hunter had helped him or was maybe trying to steal the deer he had been hunting! Anyway the top predator won in this situation as he does in most. Again I'm not meaning to make any judgements either way, you all are pretty sure what you would do in the situation and I don't blame any of you for your decision. It's based on past experiences, loves, and other hunts. I don't know any of you but I can guarantee I would pick your well being and safety and respect your feelings and judgements over any dog's or other wild animal. Here's a few definitions (mostly humorous) for you to ponder in the future.

Domestic dog = all dogs are domestic, they have been bred from wolves I think to be man's companion and helper. However they can become wild and do so rather quicly if left to their own resources. After all they are decendants of very good hunters.
    Pit Bull = Bull dogs, right? that were bred to fight in pits for human enjoyment. They can be really good pets but I hear of children killed by "tame pit bulldogs" too often to want one around my grandkids!
    Feral dog = one that is not on their owners property!
    Feral cat = one that is 10' off the porch!
    Feral hogs = ham!
    Predators = competition
    Varmints = little furry animals that overpopulate, are not generally good for eating, and make very good targets!
    Ex-wives = Trouble with a capital T!
    Ex- mother in law = Do I really need to elaborate?

One other thing, it is customary in Eastern Oklahoma for people in the coutry that own dogs to not keep them penned up. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't! It is also usually customary to kill these dogs also if you see them harassing people, deer, cattle or any valuable property. However, things are changing. Sometimes things that are customary are not lawful or very desirable by your neighbors. And there are getting to be LOTS of neighbors! I believe that most of are ethical hunters because most bowhunters that I know are. Some of us are a little long in tooth and have had lots of experiences and formed not a few opinions. You just have to take what you've learned and what the situation looks like along with your tools at hand and your abilities to make decisions like this. I respect you and your ability to make this decision! But if I had a dog and you did have to kill it for some reason that you felt was justified, please, PLEASE, do not bring it to my house and show it to me, specially if my grand-daughter is here. If you feel you must do something bury it and put a nice little rock at his head. I've lost pets before and I really had rather wonder what happened than see their dead, bloody carcass. Even though you might be justifi

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good post Hogwire!!;)

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Crap Batman, that is some fun reading. I got a dog problem, german sheperd runs down once a week and takes a **** at the base of my stand, ya I though about it, but it ain't gonna happen.

7. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hogwire, now that was some funny reading there my friend! LOL.

8. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hogwire, best post in this thread.

9. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Problem solved people!!!!!!

Next time a dog comes by your stand, come to full draw and shout

"Hey..........You got ID??"