Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 27, 2008.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Read the thread.....numerous posts have been made referencing dogs shot that were known pets of neighbors........collar or not. Try to keep up ;)

Pretty much my point.

2. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't you want to find out if he had an owner BEFORE you killed it........ya know, to make sure you weren't killing a family pet who happened to slip his leash while getting a bath.

3. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If a pet owner is careless enough to leave doors open then they need to live with the consequences of their responsibilities. My ex-wife stole my two labs and several deer racks and a couple of mounts the day of our divorce when her mother stopped by since she still legally had a key. My prized Labrador ended up in Aurora Illinois and was hit by a car because her stupid azz couldn't keep a door closed. The dog got out and some little ghetto rat kid threw a ball to her and she ran back across the street and got taken out by a 24" rim. If this involved a dog that was a constant nuisance and the owner warned I would definitely take the dog out, take it to the local taxidermist and have it mounted for a Christmas present so the property owner could have their beloved pet staring at them every day but in a state where they can't lose track of them. People need to take responsibility of their damn pets!!

4. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Killing a pet on my land while it is not being cared for by a responsible owner is not harassment, dealing with the pet on my land is harassment. If I had a neighbor that neglected my warnings then I'd put the old Metallica Kill Em All in the i-pod and rock out to my shootout, collar or no collar. Might even video it so the little girl and family could see what a nuisance their beloved and out of control pet was, that way to remind them when they get their next pet. If you aren't a responsible pet owner then you should pay the ultimate price.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

5. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know what the word means. You clearly do not, which is no surprise considering you can't spell the ******* word. Harassment has a PERSISTENT nature. Like, to continue to torment, or to attack repeatedly. Killing a dog is not tormenting it. Also, like I said before, if you kill a dog, it's one strike and lights out. I don't even give a **** if you consider it harassment or not. I was just being nit-picky.

6. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't need the balls to tell the owners. If it gets to the point that I am going to kill a dog, I don't give a flying **** who owns it, or if they find out I killed it. It's not like it was an accident, like I hit it with my car. I killed the damn ANIMAL on purpose.....then I don't give a ****.

7. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The dog knew he was there you dumbass. He freaking yelled at the dog, and the dogged looked up.

8. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might be off the subject but might not be, anyone here ever been attacked by a dog when they where a kid or teen?

9. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait a second... That is completely irrelavent unless it wasn't wearing a collar, or if you killed the dog for no reason when it attacked you. LOL.:d :evil:

10. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never said it did or even applied so, I was just wondering if anyone has ever been attacked as a teen or kid.

11. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who the hell are you replying to?

12. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just asking who you were replying to.:confused:

13. kolbster

kolbster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This thread concerns me. I thought we are hunters and outdoorsmen, not killers. IF a dog is known for attacking in the past, or poses a definite threat to you or your family that is seperate subject. This thread started off asking if you would shoot a dog from a treestand for inspecting a dead deer. No I would not and strongly feel that any true outdoorsman should not shoot a DOMESTICATED animal. Why all the attacks on atlasman? I think maybe people are letting their emotions get in the way of how they really feel because they disagree with his statements. It is deer hunting not deer shooting. A dog scaring a deer away is not motive to shoot it either. It's murphy's law. I choose not to believe that people really feel a dog should be shot for trespassing, not a sincere God-fearing person. If that is the way you guys really think and would not hesitate to shoot a domesticated dog on your property, I am sure glad I hunt in the South where dogs run all over the place, but we just shake our heads and laugh when they mess up our hunt. Tomorrow is another day. Get 'em tomorrow (the deer I mean) I know you guys don't know me very well, and you can write my opinion off if you choose, but that kind of attitude and action is simply more ammunition for the anti's to use against us.

14. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Growing up in the country made me immune to shooting dogs with or without collars that roam off their land. Working on farms I quickly realized that a big dog or two can take down a calf, goat or chickens. In the case of this post you have a dog out looking for deer, it didn't just happen to show up and inspect the damn deer, it wanted some fresh flesh and had no collar. Who the hell owned this dog? Was it a wild dog? Why didn't it back off when the hunter yelled? In this case a no brainer for me, take out the dog since it doesn't appear to be a pet.

When the hell are dog owners going to start taking responsibility for their animals? Should I walk up on a dog I don't know on my property and wait for it to bite me to determine it is a threat? It is my frickin property and my right to take out any animal I deem a threat to my property. When are some of you going to wake up and realize this wouldn't be an issue if people were responsible with their pets. For God's sake get a fence or invisible fence in your damn yard and keep your "PET" where it is safe and won't cause trouble.

15. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly how I feel. And FWIW, 1 down 4 to go.

16. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    For the record I am a dog lover. I have three mixed breed sporting dogs that we rescued from shelters. We donate at least 50 hours a year to a local rescue organization and donate over $1,000.00 a year to two local rescues. Many of these shelter animals were the lucky ones that were found wandering and were not aggressive and were rescued from high kill out of state rescues and brought to no kill shelters here. Many end up never getting adopted and euthanized. The sad thing is that people get dogs, do not get them fixed and then dump the puppies off. People get sick of their dogs and let them go on back country roads where they become ferrel animals.

If you love your dog train it, keep it safe on your property and make sure they know right from wrong. Dogs are a pack animal and you are their leader, train them to know right from wrong! If they are a part of the family then make sure they follow the rules your kids follow. Do you tell your kids to **** in your neighbors yard? Do your kids run around the woods looking for dead or alive deer to attack? If not neither should your dogs if they are part of your valued family!!!

17. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good words. I know for a fact that dogs will kill calves. We even had some dogs chew the tails off the full grown ones. Don't tell me that doesn't cause undo stress on them.

18. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder how many people's Ranks have gone up by two levels due to the unfathomable number of hits on this topic. LoL unbelievable.

19. kolbster

kolbster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Raceway...The situation you describe is understandable. That is the one problem with posting, you can't tackle all sides of the story. I live in an area where people usually try to drop dogs at our gate. Nearby, there are tons of cattle. We don't have a problem with domesticated dogs attacking them, but yotes are a big problem. Some of these dogs come on our property while I am hunting. Never bothered me once. Do I jump down and try to play with them. Of course not. I have saved several of these dogs and given to friends and they have become great pets. I am lucky in that our land is fenced on one side and backs up to a lake on another. My dog roams our property when we let him out. Now he has a great big jingly collar, too. Just in case of trespassers. I can't shoot dogs from my stand. From my experience, a curious dog will still scoot away (if they linger around my stand) when I get to the ground. This kid is fifteen. I am just trying to provide helpful information. I apologize if I ruffled anyone's feathers. I am a softy when it comes to dogs.

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

That's not what I said at all........sometime dogs get away from even the most caring pet owner.....should that person suffer a dead dog as well?

So how does your ex stealing from you and leaving your door open make you a careless pet owner who should suffer the consequences??

Well, it didn't and he wasn't.........so pretty irrelevant.

I'm sure he would return the favor........I know I would.