Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a matter of fact, I don't consider shooting pet's from a tree harassment. There is nothing harassing about that. It's one shot, and lights out. .....Unless the kid had to take another shot.....but I'll just take it at face value.

2. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait, wait...which side are you on....I want to know if I should verbally assault you. LOL:d

3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Then people wonder why Snikers chose to portray "hunters" like they did.

:lol:

4. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually don't know what you're talking about.

5. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im not saying! Im afraid for my pride, and possibly my life. Lol

6. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LOL:d

7. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    :LMAO:

I wonder if this kid (or how many treestand tough guys in general) have the balls to take the dogs body to the owners family and admit to what they did and why they did it.

My guess is probably near zero.......the dogs are left dead in the woods I'm sure because as brave as they all are with a weapon in their hands 20 feet up a tree and facing a defenseless animal......I bet they all turn yellow at the thought of handing over a carcass to a 10 year old girl and trying to explain (to her and her dad) why you felt the need to kill her dog because it chased some mangy deer past your stand.

8. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Not surprised.

9. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    as i posted before, if i knew the owner i would give that person EXACTLY ONE phone call and tell the situation. if the problem wasnt taken care of then i will take care of it.
    as i also said i personally wouldnt have done it, but im also not a scrawny 15 yr old anymore. if he felt threatened by the dogs demeanor then he had every right to take the shot.

and in my neck of the woods i know all of my neighbors and am familiar with their pets, any unusual dog or stray will be given a chance to mossey on down the road. if it sticks around it will be shot. i wnt have a stray starving to death in my yard, i also wont have it stealing my dogs food or fighting with my dog

10. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why aren't you surprised? Is that just another elementary response because you have nothing? Why don't you act like a mature adult and tell me what you are talking about? If anyone else knows what he is talking about, could you please explain?

11. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sorry dmjarb01 im as lost on that 1 as you are. maybe its an age thing?

12. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

WTF does that have to do with harassment?

13. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe that's it. LOL

14. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread was one I missed until Fergus called me today and told me to check it out.

First and foremost you have a dog with no collar chasing deer and attacking them while they are down after being shot. This is a no brainer to me, if some ****** owns a dog and doesn't put a collar on it then it is a wild dog to me. Irresponsible pet owners piss me off and if you let your dogs run free without collars then you are a moron like the owner of the dog that the friend shot while going for the dead deer.

My father had a dog I loved to death named Red, he was part Australian cattle dog and part Chow and red in color hence the name. That dog was about 45lbs. and killed any dog entering their property but then slipped and went off property and nearly killed the neighbors two Sheepdogs on their property. That neighbor came over and threatened to shoot my dad's dog. As much as my dad loved that dog he knew it was gonna end up with his dog getting shot and he pulling an Atlasman and going after the neighbor. My dad put a bullet in Red and dug a grave and wept for hours. This man has killed in Vietnam mind you but knew the dog was beyond his control. My dad had no fence back then and no control of his dogs, he often took in wild dogs like Red and many times would suspect someone shot them when they wouldn't return.

I asked my father why he shot Red and he replied "If Curly shot him I'd have walked over and snapped his neck in front of his family and then Ma would be alone without me". I then said that it must have been hard and he replied "Killing a dog is much harder than killing a human, Red didn't understand he did wrong but those I killed were the enemy and knew they were wrong". I still to this day have a hard time wondering if my dad is that f-ed up and would have killed Curly for shooting his dog, I'm pretty sure he would.

I respect my father for knowing that this dog was too aggressive and seemed to enjoy killing other dogs. Red killed a Rot, a Pit, and several mixed mutts. Red was also known to show up with a deer leg or other animal part from time to time. Red would have died to keep my father and his family safe but put my dad in a position where he would kill for Red and he never wanted to get into that situation so he did what he had to do.

My position on this topic is simple. If you have a dog and it keeps showing up on my property and you do nothing after being warned then the dog will be taken care of. Will I bring it to your door? Hell no, you don't care enough to keep it safe and around your home so obviously you don't deserve to know what happened to the vagabond. If a dog shows up once and attacks my animals or family it will be shot on site. If it shows aggression it will receive a warning shot and if it doesn't retreat it will be shot.

I have no problem with what the friend did in this case, a dog showed up with no collar and attacked a deer he shot in a state where it is legal to shoot the dog. The dog's owner didn't care enough to keep his pet off others property and had no collar on it.

15. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, raceway. Why the hell would some care about trying to find the owner, and then deliever the package, if the dog was just running around the country...WITH NO FREAKING COLLAR.

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Why eactly is biting a downed deer grounds for killing a domestic animal?? My dog loves deer.....loves sniffing them, barking at them in the yard, and yes he grabs them and tussles with them when I bring one home. He is harmless, wouldn't hurt a fly (including a deer)......he just loves playing around. Now if I had lived by this kid and god forbid my dog slips his leash while my wife or I are walking him it could very well have been my dog that smelled a deer and ran up and bit him.......now he thinks he is playing around and some coward is gonna put an arrow in him from 20 feet up a tree??

If a dog is posing no danger to you why on earth would you want to shoot it?? Because it bit some stupid, filthy deer you just arrowed?? Hardly seems like a logical thought process to me.

Sometimes people's dogs get away at unexpected times.........hell, I found my neighbors little brat kid pulling on my sliding glass doors one day trying to let my dogs out to play. Stuff happens and it's not always the fault of careless pet owners.

17. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    You need to look up the word if you don't see how killing a family pet=harrassment

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Sometimes dogs get away......it happens. So when a perfectly good and reasonable pet owner is giving his dog a bath and takes his collar off he shouldn't have to worry about some coward shooting him from his tree because he was afraid he might scare off a deer.

Be a man........you shoot someone's dog, have the balls to walk up his driveway and hand it to him and tell him why you did it........explain to his crying wife and children that you just can't have something stressing out the mangy wildlife on your land that you are going to kill anyways the first chance you get........tell them all that is why their beloved family pet had to die.

19. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

I have read this numerous times in this thread........can someone please explain how someone (anyone) could possibly be afraid of a domestic dog from 20 feet up a tree when the dog showed absolutely no aggression towards that person whatsoever.

This kid had a long range weapon in his hand........and probably a knife for field dressing and he was afraid of a domestic dog 20 feet below him on the ground that didn't even know he was there??

20. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How exactly are you supposed to take this dog to his owner if you don't know he has an owner. As much as you have accused people for not reading the posts, I am surprised to see that you have missed the 2,761 times it has been said that the dog did NOT HAVE A COLLAR ON. How is someone supposed to know whose dog it is? I guess since you aren't a psychic, you are by definition not a man...