Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 27, 2008.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

FINALLY someone nails it........that's what this topic is really about.......not dogs vs humans or danger of attacks.

I find the talk about putting too much value on the life of an ANIMAL laughable........especially from the people willing to shoot a domestic house pet for chasing a deer. When you do that you obviously are putting the value of a filthy wild ANIMAL above that of a domesticated, loving house pet who eats, sleeps, plays and lives in a house with adults and children.

If dogs ATTRACTED deer you can bet your bottom dollar that you would never hear of them being shot by "hunters".

At least call it what it is and drop the high and mighty BS routine.

2. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's another view for you atlas. You seem to have a pretty adamant love for your dogs. I totally understand, as I have two myself and I would be upset if someone had killed them too, not upset enough to even think about addressing (you don't seem to like the word threaten) the safety of them or their families, but upset nonetheless. However I would be upset if they died period. What exactly is it that makes your dog so special though? And I don't even mean your dog, just "domesticated" animals in general. One would assume that it is because you interact with them and care for them on a very regular (probably daily) basis. They may even have done something for you in return, such as save your life, this has happened with many people I'm sure. But the truth is that most "domesticated" animals are valued by people sharing the same opinions as you have voiced because they are around them all the time and become attached. You claim the dog as your own and view it as a possession, which in and of itself shows that you don't feel as if it has any privileges or rights. You say you would be pissed if someone shot YOUR dog.

What if I told you that I had a pet deer. I posted my land and made sure that no one hunted it, creating a true sanctuary with food, water, and shelter. All summer long I would watch it feed from a lawnchair overlooking the foodplot I planted (probably spending just as much money as you do on your dog food). I named it. I saw it every day and it got comfortable enough around me that it just fed on and didn't mind me being there at all, sometimes I would even talk to it. Never having the intention of shooting it, I just enjoyed being in nature and being around it, taking in the beauty of the animal. When November runs around and the bucks start chasing, he jumps the fence and walks under your treestand, where you shoot my pet.

Now of course you may say, he's not your pet. He doesn't have a collar, is free ranging, and is a "game animal", not a "domesticated" one. Well, if you think about it, what I did in feeding it, protecting it, and using it for my own enjoyment, it is exactly the same as you do with your dog. In fact, I believe by definition what I did was domestication. (1. to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.
    2. to tame (an animal), esp. by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal.) There is no reason in theory that I couldn't be just as attached to any animal, even a deer, as you are with your dog.

This is obviously a hypothetical situation, but certainly a plausible one. Just because you, or I, or anyone else on this forum wouldn't do this, it doesn't mean that someone wouldn't and doesn't. If your rich neighbor did this with his deer, would you stop hunting your farm because you were shooting his "pets"? Or would you just come up with some type of justification for doing it, saying, "hey I didn't trespass. I shot it on my farm. It was my deer as much as it was his." If that is true, I suppose your dog is as much mine as yours, because in this situation I told you I did all the things you did for your dog for this deer short of branding him with a collar. After reading your posts, I'm guessing his pretty collar isn't what makes you feel that the dog is "one of your family"...This should keep you busy quoting for awhile. You guys are welcome for the diversion ;)

3. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    gmmat that would be irrelevant. if it is legal to kill a dog that is being a nuisance thenthat is an irrelevant point,

atlaasman you keep referencing domestic family dogs. in the op he said it was domestic( hence a common breed) that does not mean it was tame or a family pet. quote all you want but you cant show me proof that that dog was a family pet. it was a collarless dog running in the woods and chewing on this kids deer. he felt threatened. he did the right thing

4. inplainview

inplainview Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The thing is we dont know. We will never know thats why this argument is impossible. If the kid climbed down would have the dog attacked him? We will never know.

But how do you know it wouldnt have? And on the other side of the coin, how do we know it WOULD have?

There is alot said for waiting a situation out in a place you feel safe, however, we don't even know how long he waited, maybe he watched a stray dog eat his deer for 2 hours. Maybe he shot it at first sight.

We don't know!

The point is with everyones feeling getting ahold of them, and the various shades of gray in this one, it's simply an impossible argument.

So shall we continue just for the sake?

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No Jeff, what I quoted above Is whats crazy!! That's right Jeff, keep sticking up for a guy that threats someone's family. If someone has a problem It should be the adult that gets confronted, not the family!! If Someone ever said what I quoted above to me, I would be the one getting In trouble, trust me, no one screws with family, period!!! Man up and take It up with the adult of the house If you have Issues!!

How exactly Jeff do you know what that kid felt anyway? Did he feel threatened? He might of, we don't know that so quit assuming we all do. All In all I bet the kid didn't like the situation one bit and It's apparent he was nervous about It. I wouldn't of shot that dog unless he would of got very aggressive with me or If I would of already had run In's with this particular dog time and time again, enough Is enough. Atlas jumped down my throat for doing what I did In my woods because some fricking dog Endangered my life growling on 1 occasion and showing teeth and growling on the other occasion before I said enough Is enough! I also had contacted the sheriff, GW and in turn they contacted the owners, I did my job, I guess the owners didn't care for there dogs as much as I care about mine!!! But I'm still an ass In Atlas's mind!! I see that Atlas Is giving all of a sudden. He has no problem what Greg did or Is going to do If the same thing happens again. Whats different about my scenario then Greg's? I'm a dog lover and good old Atlas laughed at me!! He don't have a clue on how much I love my dogs! Do I love other people's dogs? I could care less about other people's pups, there none of my business until they make themselves my business. If everyone would do there best to keep there dogs home where they belong we will most likely never have this conversation again.

6. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO! You show me a deer that's going to taunt a dog!;)

7. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WTF. That's stupid. " They" make dogs every year also. ****, man, sometimes they make them twice a year.

8. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    What about It Jeff? If he didn't feel threatened well I guess he's got to live with that then. If he did feel threatened I have no problem with It. Either way the dog wasn't where It was suppose to be and the owners If there Is one aren't doing there job. There's allot of dog owners who shouldn't have dogs period. They don't take care of them and thus the dog gets the bad end of the deal, It's sad but Its reality.

9. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are the most illogical person ever. You twist everything. Not a single person in this freaking thread has said it is OK to harrass ANY animal in ANY way. This isn't deer vs. dog, or dog vs. human. Turn the tables if you want to. If deer were chasing my dogs, I would sure as **** shoot them also.

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Jeff with everything you said.:d

11. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    LoL this thread is effin crackin me up.

12. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

If you have to reach that far to try and make a point it's a pretty safe bet you already know you're wrong ;)

13. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Can you show proof it wasn't??

So??........that is enough reason to kill a family pet??

He felt "threatened" because a dog "bit" his deer on the ground while he was 20 feet up a tree??? :lmao:

He must go through a LOT of arrows every day shooting all those other scarey creatures like chipmunks, squirrels, blue jays, and mice..........I mean seriously man you never know what one of those bad boys will do.......and what if they attack your deer?? :lol:

14. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh on the contrary. As nonsensical as it may be, its still as logical an argument as you have made.

15. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol. I agree.

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't "threaten" anyones family specifically (I made that clear earlier) It was a general statement and directed at no one in this thread.

Having said that.....it is still 100% accurate.

EXACTLY.......that is where the problem would originate. Someone has a problem with MY dog.......come see ME........don't hurt or kill the dog......come see ME. My dog is part of my family......if ANYONE hurts or kills a part of my family then I have no problem responding in kind.

We are saying the exact same thing.......someone messes with your family there will be consequences right??? That is my point.......my dogs are part of my family.

I guess we have different definitions of your life being "endangered"

Are you serious??.......you can't see the difference between a dog growling at you when you approach it in the dark woods and a couple dogs breaking into your property and killing your family pets and fighting with your dogs??

17. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you don't consider shooting house pets from a tree "harrassment".

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Not shooting family pets is illogical to you??

Weird.

19. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Atlasman, you keep saying the dogs are your family. It is not biologically possible to be blood relatives with an animal, so you must have married one. Did you marry a dog? That's wrong. That deffinately shows character flaws.

20. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just read this entire thread, and it was a ******* waste of time! :deer: