Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 27, 2008.

1. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ok atlasman you are saying that if your doggot loose and ran on to my property and killed something of mine that i shoudn kill it? hah. i know in the op that this was about chewing on a deer. no i personally wouldnt have shot the dog from my stand, but im also 21 220 lbs. i feel confident in myself that i can restrain a fairly large dog, and have on occasion in the passt, but if this kid felt threatened by the demeanor of this dog then he has every justification in shooting the dog. as has been said, it is a DOG not a HUMAN. you should really step off your high horse man.

i can guarantee you that if your dog got loose and caused problems on my land you would get exactly 1 phone call. i would state the problem and if you didnt take care of it then i would. end of story

edit to add: if i was unaware of the dogs owner, and in my small neiborhood i know everybody and am reasonably familiar with their dogs, it would be an easy decision to shoot. do i like killing dogs or even the thought of doing that? no i do not. but also will not shirk from it if the necessity arises

2. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is how it is in South Kackalacki....your dog gets lose and runs on someones huntclub chasing deer....he will be shot.

I have never been able to shoot a dog and doubt I ever will....but I know that if my dogs run deer they will killed.

Simple as that, no emotion...just reality...so I've invested in a good electric collar and my dog does not leave the yard.... my last two dogs left the yard.....never saw them again....

SB

3. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow... where do I begin???

-EDIT-***I erased everything I typed!***

I'm just not going to get started.

4. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OK, I'm gonna jump in since I have a feud going on with my nieghbor over dogs. His pitbulls constantly cross onto my land through my barbed wire fence. They chase my cats, fight with my dogs, and last week was the final straw. They broke into my daughters rabbit hutch and killed her rabbits. I have called the sherrifs dept. twice before over these dogs. They are not fenced or tied up in any way. They roam freely. Next time I see one on my land I shoot to kill. I told the dogs owners I would be killing his dogs if I see them on my land again. He and his wife both got very upset about me wanting to kill thier pets. I wonder how they would have felt if they had seen my 4 year old daughter crying while watching a pitbull eat her pet rabbit. They won't tie the dogs up, they say thats what makes pits aggressive. Dumbasses is what they are. The deputey sherrif I spoke to on both occasions told me to make sure they are on my side of the fence when I pull the trigger. I'm looking forward to it. Or should I wait until its my daughter they attack?

5. inplainview

inplainview Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Txjourneyman, pitbulls are like any dog, they are not aggressive unless they are made aggressive. Tying out a pit does not make him want to kill.

Its true that they bodies have been bred to fight, and they excel at it, however this does not mean they are mean by nature. Perhaps the ones near your home are, and I totally agree with you, as a matter of fact they would already be dead at my place.

I have a pitbull, and he is the biggest wuss you will ever see, sometimes I have to poke him just to make sure hes still alive!

I totally understand your plight, just want you to know that there is can be good everywhere, even in a dog that carries a poor reputation!

6. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree and I don't blame the dogs one bit. I blame the owners. 3 of the dogs have never been on my place. The other 2 though, thats a different matter.

7. inplainview

Dislikes Received:
    I have A LOT of farmer friends which affords me the ability to hunt multiple pieces of property. Well this was my first year bowhunting and a good friend of mine let me hunt a deer HAVEN its a great piece of ground. Anyway he was showing me around, and when we were about done he said "oh yeah, always carry a good blade out here"

Well evidenlty the last guy to bowhunt out there quit after he was attacked at the base of his tree by 2 dogs! he got away by shooting on of them with his bow while on the ground!

My buddy said, "shoot first, ask questions later" what would have happened if the poor guy never got that shot off?

I dont think I'll ever give any stray dog the benefit of the doubt, he better wander off before I'm ready to get down, or prove he doesnt intend to do harm!

8. Southernboy

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, Tx, I'm w/ you....they come in my yard and kill my daughters pets.....BLAM.

SB

9. Southernboy

Dislikes Received:
    One last post.....IN SC it is generally not the single individual sweet lil puppy that licks your hand and face and then goes running off into the woods chasing lil bunnies and and just licking them and letting them go....wwhat happens is that they "pack" and when that happens they become dangerous to everything.

So in SC your dog starts running with a pack....it will not come home.

and you don't have to wonder what happened.

SB

10. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    i will agree with this to a point. any dog bred to fight has that ability and even without training its instincts can take over.or like people, each dog has an individual personality. some are naturally mean. 2 dog attacks in which i have been involved: the first, i was maybe 5. my uncle had a pit that i had grown up with. me and that dog loved each other.id walk out there and pet that thing all day long. then 1 day i walked out to pet it and next thing i know my head is in its mouth. i still carry the scars on my head. that dog hadnt been trained to be mean. it had been trained to be a lovey family dog.

the 2nd: my grandpa had adopted a retired K9 german shephard. my nephews were riding around in ona them battery powered jeeps. one of them fell off and was running behind it screaming wantn back on. the dog attacked. when i pulled the dog off it had literally eat his shirt. took 130 stitches to close him up.

personally il never trust a pit again. lota ppl locve them. more power to you. but the bottom line is that some dogs have the fight bred into them and that no matter how well that dog is trained, it still knows how to, and can still attack

11. inplainview

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have never been attacked, nor have I every seen an attack. Maybe I would be a little biased if I had one of those unfortunate instances occur.

However I do not believe a pitbull is any more likely to attack than any other breed. Maybe it happens more, but I would suspect thats because the type of people who usually retain these "pets"

and I dont mean to suggest you or your uncle had not properly cared for your pitbull, I'm just saying any dog can be set off, hell ive been bit by a lab ive known his whole life!

12. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same feelings as Tribal and Shultzy. If I knew my dog was being aggresive towards other people, I would put an end to that problem.

If I encountered a dog that was being aggresive to me, that would get ended as well.

It's a dog, and that is nowhere near the status of human.

13. inplainview

Dislikes Received:
    Well said, an aggressive animal should be ended, no matter the means.

14. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a dog isn't something I would go looking to do, but if it is a continuous problem I would probably do it. I would ask around and see if I could find out who the dog belongs to, and talk to them first. I've had dogs go by my stand before, but they weren't chasing deer and it was only a one time occurrence. I love dogs just as much as the next guy, but if they are chasing your deer and ruining your hunting something has to be done about it. I guess all I can say is use a logical series of actions before just letting loose and killing it.

15. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    you do have a point inplainview. a lot of the people that have pits are real dumbasses and try to make the animal mean. my uncle didnt, but any dog can turn on you i wnt deny that. just since that time i personally wnt trust a pit. jus my thing. otoh i absolutly love rotties and i know there reputation and il argue how that is generally undeserved. its all just a matter of perspective i guess. everybody to their own.

and il put my vote in on the aggresive dogs. wnt have 1 on the place. barking is fine, but if they show an affinity for aggresive behavior they will be put down. my life and my families life means more than that of any dog

16. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree Brandon. I actually had a few dogs walk past my stand this weekend. It's the first time I had seen them, and I have hunted the property a fair amount. They didn't cause any problems they just moved on through. I totally don't expect to see them again, muchless chasing deer. The only dogs I've shot, I had seen MANY times, saw them chaseing a deer, and made sure that the neighbors didn't own them. Also, like okcaveman, if the neighbors had owned them, they would have heard about it exactly once. If people cared about their pets, then they wouldn't be running all over the woods. Especially during deer season

17. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

:lmao:

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Not what I said at all........where do you guys dream up these statements??......Did you even read the thread??

What exactly does that mean?? Because it is a dog it should just be killed for no reason?? WTF man there are some sick people in here if you can't see what's wrong with killing a family pet.

These laws to allow shooting of dogs are in place to protect farmers and their livestock.......no one wants to see a farmers livlihood damaged by packs of stray dogs..........how on earth the sick minds of some twisted that into an excuse to shoot family pets from treestands is beyond me.

I have no problem with a dog being killed if the situation calls for it..........he is attacking someone, killing pets or livestock, showing signs of rabies or dementia etc.........but when I hear stories of guys putting arrows through labs they saw in the woods it makes me want to puke. Anyone who kills a harmless family pet posing no danger to them or anyone else and just happened to wander into the woods and they are a freakin' sick whacko.

19. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Deer are ANIMALS aren't they??

So why do you care what happens to them??........Why would it bother you that a dog was chasing them??.....who cares right?? They are only ANIMALS. It shouldn't bother anyone in the least if a deer gets stressed because they are only ANIMALS right??

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Totally different story...........if I were you I would do the EXACT same thing. You and your family are being attacked and in danger.......absolutely NOTHING like what is being discussed in this thread.