Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Nov 27, 2008.

1. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about the other states, but in MN, it is legal to shoot a dog if it is chasing deer.
    That being said. I am an avid dog lover, I am the proud owner of an AmStaff Terrier, and would not give him up for the world. I do not know if I could take a dog if this became the case.

SO, I just got off the phone with my cousin. He also got a deer today. (200# 8ptr. so he says:confused: :d )
    He said it was really wierd though. It came into the clearing that he was hunting in, only it came in at a really fast trot, and kept looking back. Well, he waited, and got his shot, when it went down, he heard something else coming in.

It was a dog...no collar, but deffinatly a domestic dog. Trespassing.

The dog took advantage of the deer being down, and ran over to it. So, he loaded up another arrow, yelled at the dog to give it a chance. The dog then ignored him, and started BITING HIS DEER! He yelled again, and again it looked directly at him, and continued to get his meal.

He weighed the odds. Then shot. He says he really did not want to, but there was too many things going on for that to be let go. Tresspassing, chasing deer...you know.

Is there anyone in here that would have done differently? Would you have gotten down to confront the dog? Personally, I would have given him a warning shot, but thats just me. I am kind of mad, but I can honestly say, he did weigh his options, and I trust his judgement.

PS, he immediatly contacted the game warden for the area, and had him/her come out to check everything out.

2. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think he probably did the right thing. I would have done the same. I also don't have a problem shooting a dog that chases deer. I use to hunt a piece of property that had a couple of deer chasing dogs on it. THe dogs had no collars, so I asked the neighbors if they knew whose dog it was. They new of the dogs, but agreed they were strays, so I shot them the next time I saw them. In my opinion, a dog like that is no different than a coyote.

3. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes feral dogs are worse than coyotes because they aren't really afraid of humans. I probably would have done the same thing.

4. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention.
    This was maybe a mile out of the suburbs. It very well could have been someone's dog that got off collar. If so, they should be to blame. Bad owners need to be held responsible. Do I blame the dog? Not in the least bit.
    Not that it really matters, I just wanted to know what all your opinions were. Just curious thank you.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They get the free pass the 1st few time's I see them and after that there In trouble. I've been growled at In my own woods from stray dogs, that don't go over well with me.

6. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it was definately a domestic dog your cousin is one sick dude........."trespassing"...are you friggin kidding me?? Like a dog is supposed to know the imaginary lines humans have drawn up to say what is "theirs". What a joke.

So what??.....it's a freaking deer.....who cares?? Get down and go get your deer.

If this story is even true (which I doubt) your cousin is a coward, plain and simple........that is why he shot a defenseless domesticated animal.....he can justify it with a 100 lame excuses if he wants and the truth will not change.

I guess that makes it all OK then :mad1:

I ever find out someone purposely hurt or killed my dog over some lousy friggin deer I would gladly return the favor on them and/or their family.

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It depends, last turkey season me and my brother were set up on some gobblers before first light and we had 2 HUGE black German Shepperd's chase a doe around the woods around us for awhile. It was too dark to even try a shot, and im not sure about Ohio laws, but i was genuinely scared that morning. If they would have even looked at us (they never spotted us), i woulda blown them away. Im not gunna mess around with two 150+ pound dogs in the dark in the middle of the fricken woods.

8. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    tough call... not sure what i would've done. i've always thought i shoot one if i saw it chasing a deer but not sure! wow you got me really thinking now.......

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta agree with atlas on this one.....except his last line. Dude, thats a little extreme.

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Easy there!! I've had my fair share of problems with other people's fricking muts In my woods. Whether there domestic, wild, or whatever you want to call them when they start showing teeth and start becoming a threat they just screwed with the wrong guy!!!! We've had dog packs In the area before (domestic dogs Atlas). If They run out In the wild for a long enough period of time they can get down right mean! I'll recall one story for you. About 10 years ago I was walking to my deer stand with my bow in hand when I heard a growl. I had no Idea where It came from but it scared the crap out of me. 2 days later I heard It again but In a different spot In the woods and finally I seen what it was. It was a Rot and he also had 2 other dogs with him (Lab and a Chessy). I walked around them that evening on the to my stand. I called the Game Warden and told him the story. He later went to the owners and notified them that there muts were on someone elses land and causing trouble. They were back with In a week, there owners must of really cared for these dogs. This time they had 2 more dogs with them (5 total). One of them again growled at me and this time I was going Into my stand In pitch black In the morning. I thought to myself, this Is fricking crazy!! I'm scared off my ass to walk In my own woods (dads woods) because of dogs. The next time I was In there again the same thing happened and that was enough. My dad and I took care of the problem ourselves. Keep your dogs home people and there will never be a problem!!! Mine are always home and I know It will never be a problem here.

11. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Dan.

I love dogs, dogs hold a special spot in my heart. I would have gotten down and seen what the dog did from a distance as I approached. Just yelling at the dog from a stand proves nothing because I have to assume your cousin was in camo? The dog likely never saw him.

That very dog could very well have been someones loved pet and some little girl could be crying over the missing dog as we type. I would have gotten down and given the dog the benefit of the doubt first and foremost. Dogs have to eat as well and maybe all he needed was a little human intervention.

12. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    So??.......I've had my fair share of problems with other people's kids in my woods......should I shoot them??

No......HUGE difference in the above list.......not "whatever".

I see no indication that anything like that happened here.......if you feel your life is TRUELY in danger then by all means protect yourself........this clown shot a domestic dog from his stand because it "bit his deer".

Wow......you got growled at twice???........sounds pretty rough. Killing a lab, chessy and rot seems like the only logical thing you could have done...........I guess calling the game warden again was too hard. If killing house pets makes you feel safe then I guess we just don't agree.

If someone ever hurt or killed my lab the last thing they or their family would be is "safe".

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas, I have always respected they way you defend your positions, but that statement is even more sick than the story above.

14. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there tough guy, easy on what you say!! I never would of shot the dog that this guy shot. Totally different scenario then what I've been In. Your rationalizing on bringing my family or someone elses family Into this Is ******* nuts!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? In my scenario the right people were called (game warden, sheriff). The day I walk In my woods and let some dog show his teeth and let him walk Is a day that will never appear. I have kids mind you!! Do you think I like the Idea of my kids running around the woods with a dog growling and showing teeth? Easy decision for me!! I'm a dog lover through and through!! I love my labs but never will a dog have the run of my woods when he's the aggressor!! Huge difference In a dog running and a dog showing aggression. A dog running will get a pass from me, the aggressor will not. Huge ******* difference!!!

15. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

My dogs are part of my family.......it's that simple. I would have zero restraint, mercy, or forgiveness on anyone who purposely tried to hurt or kill any member of my family. Sorry if you feel that is harsh but it's the truth.........in fact, I can't imagine how anyone could feel any differently.

16. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas, for your sake, I hope your temper doesn't ever get you in serious trouble.

Good luck hunting the rest of the year and be safe.

17. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    I never mentioned your family.......what I think you and a few others out there may not realize when you are killing people's dogs is that you are destroying part of a family yourself.

You said you called them once........then the dogs came back so you killed them because one growled at you. Nice.

Wow.

Would you be OK with one of your neighbors shooting them because they crossed a property line and scared a deer???

Clearly.

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

I don't really see responding to an attack on your family as a temper issue.......it just is what it is and if consequences come along for the ride then so be it.......much easier to live with then knowing you did nothing to defend your family.

You too man.

19. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh....classic atlas! :D

I'll add my 2 cents. Nearly every dog I've even seen in the woods had no collar on. That doesn't make them feral, mean, blood thirsty or the like. It means( around here, at least) the dog lives in the country, and doesn't have to have a tag on. I can count on one hand the number of actual wild dogs that I've seen in my life. Those were coy dogs and were rasing hell with our neighbors sheep. They all took a dirt nap.

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

JZ.......the filter replaces the F-Bomb with "love"

Dude, that is loveing hilarious :deer: