Would it be worth it.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jrk_indle84, Aug 29, 2015.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So the farm I hunt is mostly crop land and pasture for cattle. There wasn't much corn planted this year and what did get planted just got chopped for silage. So my question would be is there anything that would be worth planting in a few spots that got chopped this late in the year. My buddy who owns the farm said they're thinking about putting wheat out that will eventually just be mowed off and baled but not sure yet. I can put something out if I want to but I'm not sure on what to try with it being almost September. Depending on the weather nothing might not really take off but I didn't know of there would be something that would grow kinda quick that might be useful come November or little later in the seaon.

Thought about turnips but we put them and radishes out last year as kind of a cover crop and to help loosen up the soil for spring tillage and they didn't grow until this spring. And by that time beans were coming on so they just got sprayed to kill them off with other weeds.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of farms around me us winter wheat as a cover crop after they cut the corn. It stays green pretty late in the season. When it's the only green plant in the area, the deer are all over it morning and evenings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk