Woodsman ship

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by blinginpse, Jan 1, 2014.

1. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously where has it gone. I'm 28 and Can get along fine in the woods, but i see people younger than me that don't know there *** from a hole in the ground. Don't know their tree or much anything else. All they know is tv leases the coolest camo and forget the wind. I miss the old timers

2. Njbowhunter48

Njbowhunter48 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i can agree with that

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`m with you brother! I remember going on my first bowhunt in 1987 with my Browning Cobra, just listening to the older guys and learning what I could, now everything is just on tv or the computers! Have fun out there and God Bless!

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been in the woods since I was nine years old and have learned so much from the old timers. I never go in the woods without a compass most young people don't even know what that is!! Very sad!

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Woodsman ship is pretty much finished, it been replaced by consumerism.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot agree with you where I currently hunt. I am 25 and have been a bowhunter only for the last 9 years. I have yet to see someone out here hunting younger then me. I talk with almost every hunter I come across. I don't know if it's the area or what not but here the old timers don't seem to know what they are doing. smoking in stands and drinking beer. keep in mind I hunt a bow only property. I don't even see people bring their kids out hunting down here. Where are you hunting at? I'm in SE VA.

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who you calling old? Gps killed woodsmanship along with all the other gadgets out there today.

8. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Until the batteries go dead. :)

9. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in sw va

10. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't go so far to say that it is age related. I agree though that if the SHTF there would be some people seriously hurting because so many people lack any bushcraft skills. I know a lot of people that refuse to go wherever there is no cell phone coverage. Thats where I like to go!

Consumerism, lifestyle obsessions, and lack of self-reliance is killing the adventurous spirit of America. To quote the late George Carlin, furthering the p***ification of the American man.

11. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah take me back to the Good 'ole days of wood arrows, and a 35# recurve !

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most people don't have enough woods for the ship :poke:

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, this reminds me of when I see those flouresent tags clipped to tree branches and bushes, so they can find their way to their stand. lol How about taking the time to learn your way to your stand? I get to my stands in complete darkness without a flashlight. Even on a New Moon (no moon). You have to spend time in the woods to know them!!

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    While I somewhat agree with the lack of woodsmanship (myself included to an extent) in today's world, not every hunter out there IS a woodsman. Blame it on technology. Blame it on ease of access to generations worth of knowledge. Blame it on available time to spend in the woods. Regardless, today's hunter is living in a different time. Things change. People evolve. Ways of doing things advance. There will always be a place for traditionalism, and it often spurs a romantic and nostalgic feeling in some (i.e. using traditional equipment bowhunting), but love it or not, it's not a requirement for the average hunter.

A lot of you on here spend a TON of time in the woods (and that's all well and good...even I do), but the average hunter doesn't. Maybe it's because he/she can't due to distance, land availability, work/family schedule, and yes, even lack of effort. The 9-5 guy/girl with a wife and kids may not have the ability to wander the woods checking every square inch, reading and identifying various wood species, learning to build a fire from nothing more than a few twigs and some natural tinder. Most aren't willing (or can't) pour hours into reading topo's, aerials, and establishing a knowledge of deer/game patterns based on these observations.

Why learn to read a compass when they have GPS? Let's be honest, most hunters aren't backpacking into the Rockies for a week long hunt 100 miles from the nearest sign of major civilization. They're hiking 100yds or so in from a public land access parking lot or a farm road on a private piece of ground. If their batteries die, it's most likely not going to result in a life or death situation.

Someone on here said it best one time when discussing the "sport" of hunting. The very fact that many of us on here refer to what we do as a "sport" or a "hobby" eludes to the changing of the American lifestyle. We don't NEED to hunt for food. We don't RELY on our skills in the woods for the survival of our families. We won't find ourselves hiking miles upon miles in the dead of winter to try to find some sort of game to provide for our loved ones at home. We may eat tag soup, but our grocery store will provide regardless.

Our ancestral hunters weren't dragging $1k+ worth of video equipment into the woods to "make memories" either. They weren't suiting up in $1k+ worth of gear, climbing a $200+ treestand, or hooking a $1500 bowhunting rig to a haul line either. Times change. Like it or not.

Many of you would like to see more traditional skill sets ingrained in our society, and while I can't argue against that, many of you are missing the mark on one thing. Change. It's inevitable. Resisted against by many, accepted by few, but it happens nonetheless.

As for myself? I've made it a point to become even a better woodsman than I am now. Why? Not because my wife or my future family will depend on it, but because I think it's a great skill to have. Much like hunting and providing for our families now. We don't NEED to do it, but we WANT to. That's a choice that change has given us.

15. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're shooting something close to that now, aren't you? :poke:

16. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bite me !!!! :hater:

Tim

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Walking in and out to your stand until you memorize the way is woodsmanship?

18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's part of it.

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ this! ^^^

20. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shucks....I just got the popcorn out of the microwave............