Wood lot planting?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Matt9589, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking to plant something in my wooded back yard for the deer to browse on. Any thoughts? I can't plow it. Must grow in low-medium light. I can't an fertilize if nessesary. I can't hunt the woods in my yard I just want to keep them around and healthy. I enjoy getting pics and finding there sheds. I guess there my "pets" lol. Wow about brassicas?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I found my way through your post correctly you are curious about what would grow with no ground prep? Honestly bare minimum you need to do is get rid of growth there already before any seed will really take hold....round up or something. Do you have a tiller? We haven't used a full fledge plow ever...even a hand rack has been sufficient for us on most of ours. *PH is going to play a huge factor as well, making the difference in growth and how much growth you get.

3. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    exactly what i was talking about. I have a tiller. I will get a ph test done asap. the ground is already bare with no growth durring the summer. (few weeds ect). just leaf cover. ground is usually moist as there is a creek 20' away. Basically, what is a low maintance crop?

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alright some low maintence crops...all depending on if the area gets enough sun...which is huge! It could just mean cutting on tree down to get canopy cover thinned....but anyways some easy to grow stuff we've had success with:

-Winter Rye (not rye grass). We've had good luck with it and usually doesn't need much attention from us...and comes up the following spring if planted in fall.

-Clover...we've used so many kinds that I'd have to look at notes to know which kind we've had best success in small settings, but honestly you could find stuff just as quick searching for it.

-Wheat is fairly simply as well and could be blended in mixes some.

I wouldn't recommend brassicas because you'll need to fertilize (they love Nitrogen) and deer can sometimes take a while to turn on to them.

Just stuff that pops into my head without really giving it much thought.

5. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thank you! im new to this plot thing, however i have good knowledge on planting and fertilizing. I worked at a greehouse for 6 years

6. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    clear cut a 30 yard diameter section of woods.... wallah. food plot ready to go by next season and you didnt have to do anythign but fire up the saw

7. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are some seeds I've planted that are really easy to estalish, grow like weeds (hahaha) and don' require alot of light. Attached is a link you can look over and see if this is what your thinking. The seed is a bit more expensive, but they have great customer service, their stuff always works (at least in my experience), it;s basically a one stop shop from the soil sample to seed to how to plant it. Good luck.

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/

8. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cool thanks!:rock: