Wisconsin Opening Weekend Success! First Buck!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by EasternWisconsinHunter, Sep 19, 2016.

1. EasternWisconsinHunter

EasternWisconsinHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys, my brother and I both had a very good opening weekend as I smoked a doe 10 minutes into the season and my brother shot his first buck the second day of the season. We've been filming some on and off the last 3 years but got our first buck kill on film this past weekend. We already made the video and would like some people to view it and give us some pointers. I really like how the video turned out and hope I'll be able to make a few more like this this year!

Thanks and good luck hunting!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. wibowbros

wibowbros Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So cool! Congrats on your first buck and great video, loved the excitement! Where abouts in WI are you?

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

That being said, you got VERY lucky. A quartering too shot is not a good idea. You obviously got very little penetration and were really lucky to hit vitals. Consider yourself lucky to harvest that deer, and wait for a better angle next time so you can keep a perfect recovery record going. Don't worry about video footage, worry about making the most ethical shot possible.

Again, congrats!

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First congrat's but that could have ended badly. You have to be more patient and wait for a better shot. The angle the deer was on a bad angle and should have never been taken. Live and learn take this as a learning experience and move forward and keep your enthusiasm for it.

5. EasternWisconsinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Eastern Wisconsin, Manitowoc County

6. wibowbros

wibowbros Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right on man, same county as us. Good luck the rest of your season. Hope you keep up with filming, it has its challenges but is very rewarding. 5 years down the road you'll watch this hunt again and the memories will come flooding back!

Best of luck

7. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer !!

You asked for tips so here's some things I noticed.

1:PLEASE wear a safety harness whenever you leave the ground,my Dad fell 10 foot and it broke two ribs,punkered a lung and gave him a bad concussion.I can't imagine what falling 18+ feet would do.

2:the lighting while you were telling the story was a little poor,not terrible but just a little dark and shadowy.

3:like others have said,that shot angle is not a good one and you got pretty lucky and hit the heart,next time wait until the deer is broadside or slightly quartering away.

8. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Definetly get harnesses with lifelines so your mom doesn't get a call saying your brother broke his neck. HSS makes lifelines for 2 people.

9. willaustintx00

willaustintx00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed he was using a bear Cruzer bow. I just bought one and can't wait to get it out into the woods this season. What does he think of it?

10. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Love the excitement, can never see enough of that for sure! Like others have said, shot angle and lifeline. Wait for broadside or quarter away and always be tied in! Congratulations brother!

11. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the video was awesome. As others have mentioned you got VERY lucky. Wait till he is broadside or quartering away.

Atleast I know now that i'm not the only person who shakes like crazy! LOL

12. EasternWisconsinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    READ IMPORTANT: I have worn a harness every time I've hunted the last couple of years and was wearing one while filming, my brother on the other hand had been bowhunting with a harness from a treestand for one day in his life, the day before he shot this buck, and he isn't used to it and he forgot his tree belt to connect his harness to the tree in the stand that he hunted the night before on a different property, because he isn't use to the process yet and made a rookie mistake. We didn't realize it until that morning so we decided to hunt the largest safest stand we had even though we weren't planning on hunting it prior. So that's the story behind that, it wasn't a decision he made, and I'm hoping he wont forget again! I didn't really want to tell my anxious brother he couldn't hunt opening weekend because if we went back to sleep he never would have gotten his buck! Thank you all for the concern.
    And we are planning in getting lifelines for next season if not sometime this season.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  13. EasternWisconsinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    He really likes it! It's a simple smooth shooting bow that's pretty lightweight and can get the job done on any deer! Thanks for watching and good luck this season!

14. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job guys

15. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You want input. Here goes. Wear a harness, dont ever take that shot angle again. Part of maturing as a hunter is knowing you dont have to shoot. That is not a shot that should have been taken. You got lucky. Wait for the broadside shot or dont shoot. Shorten the video to 5 mins max. Too much talk. People watch videos for the action. Your excitement is obvious. Passion is good but the video is too long.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    EWH I am a guy who dislikes the TV hunting industry, I am also beyond bored with people with youtube channels who all use the same format to produce their videos, the whispering in the tree, the music, the wanna be stuff with no originally.

I found the video you made with your brother to be one of the most refreshing videos I have watched in recent memory, I like the raw emotion after the shot, the phone calls home etc. Great job keep up having fun and above all do all you can and make good choices so you make it home safe.

17. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What camera is that

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also, unless you see the deer drop you should give the deer more time. Espcailly with a shot like that where you could see on film you got very little penetration.

Congrats on the buck though. I enjoyed the video for what it is. Would rather watch this type of video than a guy shooting a 160" over a bean field anyday. This is what hunting is supposed to be about.

Read this thread before hunting again.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/official-what-do-after-shot-please-read-52643/

19. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man that was a great hunt I can tell you were excited first time I ever shot a deer out of the stand my leg would not stop shaking I had to set down so I wouldn't fall but best believe if I did fall my harness and lifeline would have caught me man be safe out there and congrats on an awesome hunt I enjoyed watching it

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

20. EasternWisconsinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Samsung HMX-H100, my only complaint with the camera is the zoom level is pretty low, only 10x, been using it for four years and haven't any problems with it, other than having to buy a new battery.