Wisconsin Legalizes Crossbows For All Hunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [QUOTEWrong! No where that I have read says a bow must be drawn and fired as the animal is present. A bow has limbs that store energy when the string is pulled back. It can also have wheels or cams.][/QUOTE]

Sorry soccerdan but it is you that is wrong. Tell me, How does one draw back a compound bow, hold it until the animal arrives (sometimes hours later) and then shoots the bow off a solid rest?

The point is a compound or traditional archer must do so at the time the animal is present without detection but the crossbow does not. Thus making it far easier to shoot an animal without skill or practice. The skill in locating the animal is no different though.

2. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin will lose 20% of licensed deer hunters in the next 20 years. Anything to keep and attract new hunters is a win. You shrink the tent and You shrink the political clout/influence to have a say in deer management. Minnesota is going thru this now as the Dnr has set dpsm goals so low it's insane. Here's a great article to think about the future of hunting at all. Don't think for a minute the right to hunt a species or in general can't be yanked over time.

Bowhunting in America: In a dark wood | The Economist

3. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with 130Woodman ... I'm gonna shoot at least one deer with a crossbow ... probably gonna be late season as I'm thinking it'll be easier to shoot a crossbow while I'm wearing Gloves ....

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry soccerdan but it is you that is wrong. Tell me, How does one draw back a compound bow, hold it until the animal arrives (sometimes hours later) and then shoots the bow off a solid rest?

The point is a compound or traditional archer must do so at the time the animal is present without detection but the crossbow does not. Thus making it far easier to shoot an animal without skill or practice. The skill in locating the animal is no different though.[/QUOTE]

I never said that someone shooting a trad bow or compound bow draw hours before an animal arrives. I just stated that a bow by definition isnt something you draw back a few seconds before the shot.
    Never did I say one was more difficult than the other, just stated that a crossbow is indeed a bow by definition. And you cant prove me wrong.

This is from dictionary.com

noun
    1. a flexible strip of wood or other material, bent by a string stretched between its ends, for shooting arrows

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cant believe this thread is up to 29 pages.

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    43 on tap a talk lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting article PSE man, I found this quote from an archery shop owner interesting.

8. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line is Xbows, like rifle statewide and scoped 200 yard muzzleloader season is here to stay in Wisconsin. These changes in Wisconsin as well as bonus bucks, either sex gun tags,telecheck, ect. all make for an easier harvest south of hwy 29 and that's the Dnr goal. Dpsm's in most of the state remain insanely high. Most Mn. units have Dnr Dpsm goals set@5-7 while Wisconsin sits@40-75 in many units. Anyone who thinks xbows may have a reduction in season dates if shown to be too efficient is also mistaken. This ship has sailed.

9. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is kindda a touchy subject for some .... and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse ... I just finish reading and article in "Wisconsin Outdoor News" Dec 13, 2013 pg 15 "Gave in, made switch to crossbow" ... Mr Kernen tells about his Bowhunting and Graceful "aging" ... well worth the read. I can relate to the bow getting stiffer and more difficult to pull back and the eyesight not being as "keen" as it once was .... he also claims the x-bow is heavy and cumbersome and may not be as challenging... but it'll allow him to hunt for a few more years...