Winter Project

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Garet, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer Blind1.jpg Deer Blind2.jpg So I was fortunate enough to inherit this old feeder wagon from my in-laws yesterday. The plan is to turn it into a portable deer blind this winter and use it next year. Does anybody have any similar projects or ideas that they can share to give me ideas on my build? I.E. How many windows? What size and shape windows? Does it need to be painted camo? I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

JungleJoe likes this.
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you just need a hatch and you're good to go. I think you can get a few more miles out of those tires yet. Congratulations, looks like a fun project.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Clinton and Frank's segments in the show, they build blinds out of old gravity boxes.

4. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha no these tires are shot, believe me. Going to find some cheap used ones to slap on there. What do you mean by hatch? I was thinking about throwing a window in on every side except for the door side.

5. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where would I be able to find these videos specifically?

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: I was kidding.
    I didn't offer anything constructive because that's a highly personal thing you're doing. Lay it out the way it's ideal to you and you'll be pretty happy with it. You know the basics of what you want and need so like Nike, just do it. :lol:
    I'll offer this:
    I wouldn't bother with camo paint, camo is basically aesthetics...I'd just use an earth tone mono-tone color and hunt it. I'd probably go with a dark drab green.

As far as windows, I'd probably just do long narrow horizontal ones with tinted plexiglass and buttons to hold the unhinged top of the window. I'd probably use piano hinges and cut them to length. I'd use foam weather seal. You could even do a couple on each side in a vertical design to make it easier to shoot a bow out of.

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There was an episode this season where Clinton shared how he does is blinds I believe

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Window size depends on what you are hunting with. For a bow you might want a window 12 inches wide by 24 inches tall or taller. Remember that you want the windows to open in not out. You can get plexiglass and them if you are handy. Also can get some static tint to apply to the windows to darken them. Also might want to put a little flashing above the windows to keep water from dripping in as well. Good luck and send up pics as you go along. :tu:

9. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Super helpful stuff thanks guys!

10. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Paint the inside dark or you will silhouette yourself. We caulked all seems to keep out the mice. You don't want to go to your blind and open the door and smell mouse piss.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dont forget the drapery. You can get a pretty thick felt cloth that works perfect for such an application. I framed the inside of my truck capper with PVC and had my wife double over the felt and sew a single line in it to make a loop. The bed of the truck is super dark when we go camping or on a road trip and want to pull over at a rest area to sleep.

12. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blind 1.jpg blind 2.jpg Slow process, but I finally got the project rolling (literally). After struggling to find used 14 in tires and salvaging the rims by the grace of God. First time this baby has moved in easily 20+ years. Next step windows?

13. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool project! I will be doing something similar to my old 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer, but I will be building from the frame up. My plan is to make it a little house on wheels. Make sure you put a good noise dampener on the floor so they don't hear you moving.

14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to share pictures! I've never done this before so I'm looking for any and all ideas and pointers. Right now the floor is a thin metal that buckles as you walk on it. It definitely needs to go.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  15. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    419R6epL8fL._SL1024_.jpg Just purchased this stove off of amazon. Plan on putting it in this weekend. Anybody else have experience with wood stoves in their blinds?

16. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a productive weekend. power washed.jpg I got the blind power washed. wood stove.jpg I got the wood stove set in place. windows.jpg and I've begun the process of cutting windows. It's fun watching it start to take shape.

17. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have 2 old gravity wagons that have been in use as a deer blind for 20 yrs. They work great and just after harvest they can be moved in with little to no disturbance to the deer.

18. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious: Did you paint yours any certain color or at all? How close do the deer get to the wagon after they get used to it?

19. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Accomplished a good chunk on Saturday. All that's left now is carpet and paint. DB#.jpg DB2.jpg DB1.jpg DB4.jpg

20. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not really sure how to make the photos not sideways....:bigcry: