Winter plans?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kentuckybuck, Feb 4, 2019.

1. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wanted to reach out and see what your alls winter plans are?

Are you putting anything out right now, as far as mineral/salt/etc ?

Hoping to do some walking here soon and look for sign from this past year. Also going to build another blind and some platforms to put them on.

Anything else recommended would be great! Let the start of the 2019/2020 hunt begin!

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Re-fresh mineral sites, already spread some soil sulfur to drop ph in one plot, frost seed a bunch of chicory and more clover and mineral stumps. Mineral stumps worked extremely well last year, I go through the woods and cut any hackberry, redbud or smaller than 4" tree off around 18" and wait for it to re-sprout growth, those deer eat it up, 30% protein and the highest concentration of selenium that you can come by naturally.

kentuckybuck likes this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finding some better spots to plant pumpkins/ squash this spring.
    Have found an absolute Killer Spot but unsure how I'm gonna get equipment in there?

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been dropping yellow polar every day the winds not howling or the snows not dropping. Actually the wind has helped me a lot with a few hang ups. Also I've been clearing up around the oak flats thinning out crowding maple.
    I ordered trees and have chestnuts from my Dunstun in the frig.. Ordered 70 dollars.worth of veggie seed and will be starting plants in March for transplants. As soon as we have a ground defrost I'll be digging holes for trees. I have a lot of them coming. Fruit tree and vine cutting will start soon.
    I bought seed for a few plots on sale in January clover. I will be buying mostly fall seeds later.
    I maintain hundreds of yards of brush pile fencing that gets worked on all.winter. I maintain it to a 5-6 ft height by hunting season. Reside a 9 yr old cardboard blind and perhaps add one more short blind platform.
    Learn how to saddle hunt
    Not too busy...Oh and start buying my bagged lime.. 3 bags each week until spring these will maintain plots and start others, very low PH here. Before it's asked.. No bulk lime isn't feasible here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    kentuckybuck likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I lugged a bale of alfalfa out to the food plot yesterday, that was a work out.

kentuckybuck and early in like this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I mentioned the brush pile fencing, here is just part of one example of them. I place openings in certain spots for the critters to go through. This particular fence is well over 200yrds long.

20190218_130117_resized.jpg 20190218_130221_resized.jpg

kentuckybuck likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well today in between the winds I got some apple, pear, vine, brush quince trimmed. A whole lot of material for the road brush pile fencing. Looks like high winds for the next few days. Good thing the fruit trees are in the open.

8. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is nice. Very well done!

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, with how wild it has been all night,I'm thinking those fences will have lots and lots of material on the ground for them.
    I'm not to sure my dog house tower blinds will still be in this county though.We get high winds here all of the time,but the " freight train winds" as we call , have been especially loud.
    They put out the lime and I picked up a couple of bags . Figures it went up fifty cents a bag. I'll have to catch the sales better this year. Looked like fertilizer went down some . I'll have to check my other source though.