Willie Nelson's Bogan

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Kanga, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, let me introduce Mark Thomas (JJ). He's a good friend and super author. His book, "Where Adventure Meets Discovery" was one I could not put down-read it from front to back non stop. It is a must read for anyone with a love for hunting, family life, and the woods. I had the pleasure of hunting with Mark and his young son Casey (a young man now) twice while in Texas. Both he and his son are dear to me. Mark shoots both compounds and traditional gear. I thought I would bring him into our group. I know he will have a lot to add. I look forward to his input.

Mark,

That crazy englishman Bails got to watch the movie Jeremiah Johnson while he was visiting me. He's been watching his top knot ever since. If you ask me, he's crazier than the old widow woman on the hill.

2. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL , Will you crack me up :rock: . You'll have to tell Mark how i got the Huntcamp name "Radioboy" :deer: . Send me a copy of the book with my arra's , i expect it to be signed too :cool:

3. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Signed you say? Hey JJ, ya think you can put another arrow through one of your books and send it to me...

Ok, so here we are in the middle of Colorado wilderness. Everyone in camp had a radio for communication purposes. Young Dave struck out on his own in pursuit of the majestic elk. I believe he soiled his drawers twice that day with good up close bull encounters. All the action left Young Dave disorientated (Uk version of disoriented). And, rather than use his radio to get his bearings, and his arse out of the woods, "Radioboy" trotted off inthe wrong direction. his actions sent the rest of us into panic mode. We thought a Noga had his hinny for sure (kid only weighs 100 pounds-a mere snack for a Noga). After walking some 13 miles, Radioboy realized his error. He made it back to the waiting trucks with little day light to spare. I was able to call back the recue party (Seems they all know how to use their radios) and the rest is history. JJ, dang greenhorns anyway...been hearing em for two weeks and smell'n em for another. He's a keeper though...a grand canidate for skinin grizz.

4. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    That just about sums the whole situation :deer: , but i did see 2 beautiful Bulls no more than 30yds away .

5. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Dont tell me you only had a cow tag:bash:

6. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    I had either sex tag Russ , but i was lost and if i had taken the shot .... where was i gonna take it , who was gonna help me and how would i find it again if i left it . At the time , i was on my own , lost and no sense of direction because the iron in the ground was sending my compass in circles . Next time and i assure you , there will be a next time , no elk will be escaping me if its in range .
    I can still picture every route i did over that 10 day hunt and know exactly where to go next time .... if they are still their that is .

7. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    LOL....bloody hell Dave, you just had to walk the 600 yards down to the road........lost? LOL....thanks for the laugh. Remind me to give you a polish altimeter when you get here. It's a simply tool really. It consists of a little stick, which is held in the hand, and a weight attached to a string which is then attached to the stick. When iron is present, you hold the stick and weight at arm's length in front of your body. The weight will always point you "down". If you maintain a lower elevation with each step, you cannot go wrong (the weight will always indicate lower-trust me). It's a brilliant gadget-works in the most adverse of conditions, and doesn't require any batteries. LOL...

8. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will.

I knew the little Pommie would come up with some long winded excuse:deer: :cool: :d

9. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    LOL cheers Will :busted: , I knew i could rely on you to help me out . I spent 4 hours walking around and even passed the same spot twice , then i came across the dudes from Deliverance . Man i will be better prepared next time , i've even bought myself a GPS . No more screw ups next year .

10. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dave.

You realise that "BRITTISH" gps's dont work over here:evil:

11. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    I can still use it to plot route , its a Garmin eTrex vista HC .

12. ZachCL

ZachCL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im late on this one, but Russ wow great job, Huck, congrats on the sweet new rig. Where you planning on taking it for first blood.

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Well Gents,

She has found her way home. I have never been so blessed-what an absolutely beautiful bow! She arrived in the mail today. Those present, at the unboxing, oogled for the longest time. I thought about sleeping with her tonight and having the wife sleep on the floor-Russ adviced me otherwise(says he too busy to build new limbs being how the old limbs would more than likely be wrapped around my neck). Tommorrow, "Tigger" goes to the range...I obviously cannot wait!

Zach, first blood will hopefully come from a pairie dog or two. I have a farmer here who is looking to rid his land of these pests. I am going to take hunting with this bow seriously. In September, I hope to arrow a musk ox above the Artic Cirlce (Victoria Island). I'll be back in late September to chase elk. Then in November, A few of us are meeting in Kentucky to hunt whitetail with traditional gear. I'm sure Tigger will travel with me until I die-sky's the limit.

Dave, keep your bow away from mine. I've seen how randy you Brits are! The last thing I want is to be inlaws with ya! LOL....is your bow a boy or a girl? lol...

Range results pending

14. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Give me a day Jeff. She's gonna look the best under perfect daylight. It's overcast and ugly here today. I promise

15. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wish it was like that here.

Clear skies and freakin hot:evil:

16. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    LOL ... She a girl , in fact she's an angel .

Pictures today please , its the LAW . Enjoy Will :deer: .

17. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Will.

Shame on you:deer:

Didn't you know I only build sexy female bows:cool: :d :evil:

18. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, I know Russ. I was making sure young Dave had his head screwed on straight. You know what it can be like for a guy his age and without a lassie. That testosterone can build up and do funny things to a lad's interworkins. And let's not forget he's already half flippin crazy to begin with. LOL....what I'd give to be him.

19. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, Tigger has been flinging arras.

First four from 18 yards. I took Russ' advice and looked straight at the center of the target. One got away 2" high and to the right.

[​IMG]

I thought the first round went pretty well so I decided to shoot the next four at the white corners-same yardage. That white Jeep wasn't there when I shot. He just pulled in while I was taking the picture.

[​IMG]

So now I'm seriously convinced. Not only does Russ make incredible looking bows, but his bows are also incredibly accurate! You simply focus on a spot and that's where the arrow goes!

I put another 15 thru her and had to stop (forgot my arm guard and was getting a tiny bit of string slap). I am very impressed!

20. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shootin! Sure is fun to sling arrows from a trad bow...