Will these seeds work in food plots for deer

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by maloneyc01, Jun 15, 2014.

1. maloneyc01

maloneyc01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to plant a clover with chicory food plot just wondering if these seed will work thanks

Attached Files:

2. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer love white clover and chicory so they will work. Scoot

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but you probably will want to wait till about Sept or Oct, depending on where you live, to plant them as the summer heat will beat them down. Good luck.

4. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    show me the back of the bag...
    whats the germ count?
    when was the seed last tested?

and assuming it's fresh seed...white clover is usually white dutch, which is a low growing clover that is used in many clover blends. It works best for wheel traffic areas and keep in smaller amounts in mixes as you won't get the tonnage per acre i'd hope for.

I am a huge chicory fan. I first planted some 23 years ago. I planted it for the mineral content/nutrition content as We got into the early qdm movement.

5. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it should just get it down like now!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. maloneyc01

maloneyc01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of fertilizer should I use

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The kind your ground needs....

*Edit*
    Sorry was in a hurry this morning, didn't intend that to sound smart aleck, Best plan is to soil test so you know what you're needing/getting. If you have to guess, a couple 50# bags per acre of any triple analysis will get you started pretty safely...may also need lime for PH. Best idea is to soil test (<<<reiteration)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  8. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    RULE #1 OF PLANTING FOOD PLOTS AND CROPS IN GENERAL.....get a soil test.
    How does one know what fertilizers to best use if you don't know how your soil tests? Many products people plant in their food plots, won't grow as successfully as people hope based on the fertility at hand. If one's pH is around 5.5 and if their organic matter level is low...there are only a few things i'd recommend the individual to plant.

You want to fertilize to one's limiting factor. In many areas of the US there are also other considerations besides n-p-k as we have sulfur deficiencies and some trace mineral issues. People's biggest reasons why their brassicas are spotty or that their deer aren't eating them, involves their fertility program.

Fertilizer's to many food plotters is like "throwing feed to a milk how and hoping they will milk." Everything in life is about balance. Everything is simple chemisty. There are positive and negative charges.

So, say someone calls me and says they didnt pull a soil test. I'll suggest a simple 8-18-28-5....this works for most food plot products and here is why.....5% sulfur is a help to many areas. You want a high potassium level for the clovers as well as most products, as you want the explosive growth. In cow country, phosphorous isn't as needed , due to the manure applications.

Also, you want to use a lower SALT fertilizer. So, choose 15-15-15 or 18-18-18 over your standard 10-10-10.

Also there is nothing wrong with mixing fertilizers if a supplier only stocks a couple. Mixing 50 lbs of 8-13-28-5 with 50 lbs of urea would make a 27-6.5-14-2.5 if one needed more nitrogen than a standard mix would contain....

This is why i'd only buy seed from companies offering a program. Why buy a bag of seed? Why don't buy from people who will offer you solutions, expertise and the help you need. In return for their expertise, buy their seed? This is what i discuss when i do seminars!!